Reader's Letter: As a cyclist motorists skim me at terrifying speed

Old May 6th 20, 10:24 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Simon Mason[_6_]

Default Reader's Letter: As a cyclist motorists skim me at terrifying speed

QUOTE:
Given that we’ve seen a huge reduction in car-use, and a huge increase in jogging and cycling, if the government is true to its word:“At each point we have been following scientific and medical advice, and we have been deliberate in our actions, taking the right steps at the right time”,then the nation should be informed about the recent study carried out by a Belgian-Dutch research team.

A 12-page report, it advises runners and cyclists that, ‘they should take extra care while passing others on the road, warning them that respiratory droplets that could potentially contain the novel coronavirus might spread further than the 6 feet buffer recommended by public health officials’.

In short: ‘65 feet is needed when riding a bike at 18mph, 33 feet while running at a 6:44 minutes-per-mile pace, or 16 feet while walking at a normal pace.’

Also, a study by Highways England has found: ‘Sadly, with the declining volume of traffic we have also noted an increase in speeds on the strategic road network.

The latter has resulted in London Assembly/Green Party Member, Caroline Russel (SIC), writing to transport secretary Grant Shapps, calling for the default national speed limit to be cut to 50mph and the default urban speed limit to 20mph.

Prior to Covid-19, (age-71) I cycled pretty much every day: occasionally for shopping and medical needs, but four days a week, (from 50 to 100 miles, with other 70+ passionate cyclists, some in cancer remission), for exercise and friendship.

Now, to adhere to the instruction, ‘Stay two-metres Apart’, because there are ‘no-end’ of parked cars, dogs on extended leads, potholes, walkers, and joggers, I often have to ride in the middle of the road. As a consequence, I’ve had drivers blast their horn, and ‘skim’ me at (terrifying) excessive speeds.

In 1997, with a view to eradicating road death/serious injury, the Swedish government approved Vision Zero: ‘A multi-national road traffic safety project it aims to achieve a highway system with no fatalities/serious injuries.’

A core principle is, 'Life and health can never be exchanged for other benefits within the society', where a monetary value is placed on life and health, and then that value is used to decide how much is spent on a road network towards the benefit of decreasing risk.’

Since winning WW2, the global death toll, due to lawless driving, exceeds 70 million. Not to mention deaths from air pollution!

Accordingly, if the government doesn’t use speed limiters (the best of technology) to eradicate speeding drivers, won’t it be failing in its duty to ‘Protect the NHS, and Save Lives’, AND tackle climate change?

Allan Ramsay

Roadpeace

https://www.dailyecho.co.uk/news/184...rifying-speed/
Old May 6th 20, 10:59 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Kelly[_2_]

Simon Mason wrote:

QUOTE:
... a study by Highways England has found: Sadly, with the declining volume of traffic we have also noted an increase in speeds on the strategic road network.

The latter has resulted in London Assembly/Green Party Member, Caroline Russel (SIC), writing to transport secretary Grant Shapps, calling for the default national
speed limit to be cut to 50mph and the default urban speed limit to 20mph. ...I've had drivers blast their horn, and 'skim' me at (terrifying) excessive speeds.

https://www.dailyecho.co.uk/news/184...rifying-speed/

Dear, dear... doesn't the London Green Party Member, Cllr Caroline
Russell, read this newsgroup. Hasn't she been told that talking about
*speeding* past cyclists on the highway is a pejorative term.

Although, if she gets her way and has the default urban speed limit
cut to 20mph it will be pretty difficult for many driver to keep
within the legal limit. And then, in relation to those drivers, it
will probably be appropriate for cyclists to talk about having had a
driver blast their horn, and 'skim' past them at a (terrifying)
excessive speed.

Old May 6th 20, 11:03 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Simon Mason[_6_]

On Wednesday, May 6, 2020 at 10:59:02 AM UTC+1, Kelly wrote:

Although, if she gets her way and has the default urban speed limit
cut to 20mph it will be pretty difficult for many driver to keep
within the legal limit.

No change there then!
In any case, 20mph is a dream for many drivers in London anyway.

8.7 mph to 7.1 mph in central London
12.5 mph to 11.6 mph in inner London
20.3 mph to 19.3 mph in outer London

https://www.london.gov.uk/questions/2019/19767
Old May 6th 20, 11:31 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Kelly[_2_]

Simon Mason wrote:

On Wednesday, May 6, 2020 at 10:59:02 AM UTC+1, Kelly wrote:

Although, if she gets her way and has the default urban speed limit
cut to 20mph it will be pretty difficult for many driver to keep
within the legal limit.

No change there then!
In any case, 20mph is a dream for many drivers in London anyway.

8.7 mph to 7.1 mph in central London
12.5 mph to 11.6 mph in inner London
20.3 mph to 19.3 mph in outer London

https://www.london.gov.uk/questions/2019/19767

Well, that explains why some London drivers, in particular, are so
miserable then. And all their problems are only exacerbated by
cyclists getting about so much more effectively at a fraction of the
cost.

Many drivers it seems also already have an 'if I'm miserable then
you've got to be miserable too' attitude, and so they take it out on
the easy target cyclists.

Old May 6th 20, 01:11 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
jnugent

On 06/05/2020 10:24, Simon Mason wrote:
[...]

Seventy million, eh?

I've told him five million times not to exaggerate.
Old May 6th 20, 01:12 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
jnugent

On 06/05/2020 11:03, Simon Mason wrote:
On Wednesday, May 6, 2020 at 10:59:02 AM UTC+1, Kelly wrote:

Although, if she gets her way and has the default urban speed limit
cut to 20mph it will be pretty difficult for many driver to keep
within the legal limit.

No change there then!
In any case, 20mph is a dream for many drivers in London anyway.

As an average for the whole journey, that is correct. And not only in
London. It probably applies in most urban areas.

As a top speed within a journey whose average speed is no more than
20mph, not so much.

Most cars are not designed to run well at such low speeds.

Old May 6th 20, 02:33 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Simon Mason[_6_]

On Wednesday, May 6, 2020 at 11:31:32 AM UTC+1, Kelly wrote:
Simon Mason wrote:

[...]

A lot of them are overweight, obese and unfit as well which only adds to their resentment of fit cyclists.
Old May 8th 20, 07:03 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Rob Morley

On Wed, 6 May 2020 02:24:15 -0700 (PDT)
Simon Mason wrote:

The latter has resulted in London Assembly/Green Party Member,
Caroline Russel (SIC), writing to transport secretary Grant Shapps,
calling for the default national speed limit to be cut to 50mph and
the default urban speed limit to 20mph.

Drivers are ignoring speed limits; the solution is enforcement and
punishment, not different speed limits.