Driver on drugs who mowed down group of cyclists while on wrong sideof road is jailed - LONG

Old August 20th 20, 05:56 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Simon Mason[_6_]

Default Driver on drugs who mowed down group of cyclists while on wrong sideof road is jailed - LONG

Another drugged up moron in charge of a lethal weapon causes carnage. His car has been seized and crushed.

QUOTE:
A driver who had taken amphetamine ploughed into a group of experienced cyclists, throwing some into the air and forcing others under the car.

Jason Morgan did not even try to brake as he drove at around 60mph on the wrong side of the road towards the group before his bumper hit the front cyclist’s leg.

In a victim impact statement read out at Cardiff Crown Court Darran Thomas said: “I don’t think I will ever be the same person again.”

The incident happened on a mountain road at Mynydd Fochrhiw in Bargoed on April 20 last year. Peter Donnison, prosecuting, said friends Mr Thomas, Huw Smith, Christopher Jones, and David Myhill met at Treforest to cycle together. They were described as “experienced and passionate” cyclists who had ridden all over the world.

They cycled towards Abercynon – a “very hilly” route. Mr Thomas, who was at the front, heard a car engine revving and saw a Vauxhall Corsa on the wrong side of the road travelling towards them.

He described it going at a “fair speed” and Mr Donnison said there was no evidence it was going over the 60mph speed limit. He added: “The defendant made no attempt to stop. He kept driving towards them.”

Mr Thomas thought the driver did not like cyclists and was doing it on purpose to scare them then realised he was not going to swerve or stop.

The front cyclist shouted at the driver and tried to avoid the car by turning towards the grassy bank but he felt the bumper hit his leg and bike and he was thrown into the air. Mr Donnison said: “He was struggling to breathe, he was in so much pain.”

Mr Smith, who was behind Mr Thomas, could not remember what happened, as he suffered a head injury.

Mr Jones, behind him, remembered hearing a loud crash, feeling impact, and being hurled into the air. Mr Myhill did not see anything but heard a loud bang.

A driver behind the cyclists called an ambulance. Morgan waited by his car and did not try to leave the crash site. A roadside breath test confirmed he was not under the influence of alcohol.

Morgan was arrested and taken to Ystrad Mynach Police Station. He was described as “drowsy” and taken to the Royal Gwent Hospital as he was not fit to be detained. He was found to have 812 micrograms of amphetamine in his blood.

Collision investigators found the car did not have any defects that could have contributed to the crash and the sun would not have been directly in the driver’s eyes.

The court heard the car’s windscreen was smashed and there was evidence some of the cyclists were thrown over it while others were forced under it.

Judge Nicola Jones noticed the victims were not in court for the sentencing and asked the prosecutor to double check whether they wanted to be there. One said he was “too traumatised” and did not want to hear the facts read out.

Mr Thomas, 54, suffered life-changing injuries, including a broken leg which had to be completely reconstructed, involving skin and muscle grafts. He had six fractured ribs, a punctured lung, a chipped shoulder, and spinal injuries.

He spent five days in intensive care and was just about able to walk with crutches by September – nearly six months after the crash. He is still having physio and counselling.

Mr Thomas said: “I can’t put into words the impact this incident has had on me. It has completely changed my life in ways I did not know were possible.” He said he was left unable to do everyday things he used to take for granted and had to rely heavily on family and friends.

Mr Thomas said his health and fitness declined rapidly. He lost 12kg and did not recognise his own legs as he lost so much muscle. He was unable to work and couldn’t wait to go back.

He said: “I don’t think I will ever be the same person again. I don’t think the memories are ever going to leave me. I hope one day I might be fit enough to run again. I’m not sure I’ll ever be emotionally strong enough to ride a bike on the road again.”

Mr Smith had to have facial surgery and dental treatment. It is estimated he will need £40,000 worth of extra dental treatment over his lifetime. He said: “My beard was hard with blood. I was shocked at the sight of my face in the mirror.”

Mr Jones, who was concussed, said he would never forget seeing the defendant hitting his friends. He feared for his work as a ski instructor due to his knee injury.

He said before the crash the friends had been planning a trip to France to watch the Tour de France and cycle in the Alps. He confirmed he had been able to get back on his bike but is now doing more remote gravel biking instead of road riding.

Mr Myhill did not feel able to provide a victim impact statement as he was trying to move on and did not want to relive what happened. He has not been cycling again.

When he was interviewed by the police Morgan accepted being involved in a collision but denied the offences, claiming the fault was “50-50”. He added: “They didn’t see me. I didn’t see them.”

Mr Donnison said he had six previous offences on his record including drink-driving in 2000 and a drugs offence in 2001.

Morgan, 48, from Coly Row in Bedlinog, Treharris, admitted dangerous driving and two counts of causing serious injury by dangerous driving.

Lucy Crowther, for Morgan, reminded the judge her client had already been punished for the amphetamine offence and suggested that should not have been dealt with in the magistrates’ court and all the offences should have been sentenced at the same time.

She added: “He does ask me to say, on his behalf, how desperately sorry he is. He has not driven since and he has got no intention of ever driving again in his life.”

Judge Jones told the defendant: “You should not have been driving.”

He was sent to prison for two years and eight months and will have to serve half of that before he can be released on licence. He will be disqualified from driving for three years from the time of his release and have to pass an extended test before being allowed to drive again. An order was made for his car to be confiscated.

https://www.walesonline.co.uk/news/w...ailed-18800989
Old August 21st 20, 01:17 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Simon Mason[_6_]

On Thursday, August 20, 2020 at 5:56:08 PM UTC+1, Simon Mason wrote:
Another drugged up moron in charge of a lethal weapon causes carnage. His car has been seized and crushed.

QUOTE:

EK Spinner | 257 posts | 26 min ago
3 likes

'Morgan, who also pleaded guilty to dangerous driving and drug-driving and had a previous conviction for drink-driving, was banned from driving for four years and four months'
This is the bit that really ****es me off, he has had a serious warning, has done it again and we are still going to allow him back on the road. He has already shown he has complete contempt for others safety and has no intention to change

https://road.cc/content/news/jail-s-...yclists-276667

Old August 21st 20, 04:38 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
JNugent[_12_]

On 21/08/2020 13:17, Simon Mason wrote:

On Thursday, August 20, 2020 at 5:56:08 PM UTC+1, Simon Mason wrote:

Another drugged up moron in charge of a lethal weapon causes carnage. His car has been seized and crushed.

QUOTE:

EK Spinner | 257 posts | 26 min ago
3 likes

'Morgan, who also pleaded guilty to dangerous driving and drug-driving and had a previous conviction for drink-driving, was banned from driving for four years and four months'
This is the bit that really ****es me off, he has had a serious warning, has done it again and we are still going to allow him back on the road. He has already shown he has complete contempt for others safety and has no intention to change

https://road.cc/content/news/jail-s-...yclists-276667

At last, road.cc reports a story everyone can sympathise with.

And for a change, it is written in literate English.

Old August 21st 20, 10:09 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Mike Collins

On Thursday, 20 August 2020 17:56:08 UTC+1, Simon Mason wrote:
[...]

Legalise cannabis and open clinics where hard drug users can get a fix of controlled purity drugs administered by trained professionals under sterile conditions and this sort of thing will end.
Old August 21st 20, 10:43 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
JNugent[_12_]

On 21/08/2020 22:09, Mike Collins wrote:
[...]

Well, it will either do that or hard drug use will increase dramatically.

Why do you say that easier access to hard drugs would not increase the
use of hard drugs?

Or, in case I do you a disservice, do you actually make that claim and
do you accept that hard drug would increase under an over-tolerant hard
drug regime?
Old August 21st 20, 11:13 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Mike Collins

https://transformdrugs.org/drug-decr...cord-straight/
Old August 21st 20, 11:33 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
JNugent[_12_]

On 21/08/2020 23:13, Mike Collins wrote:
[...]

Are you too frightened to answer the question (which can only be taken
as an admission that liberalising hard drugs will lead to more addiction
to them, and more harm)?

Old August 22nd 20, 01:00 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
JNugent[_12_]

On 22/08/2020 00:46, Mike Collins wrote:
[...]

So liberalising the possession and supply of hard drugs would lead to
more use of said hard drugs and (of course) more addiction to them (and
in turn, more crime in pursuit of the means of buying them).

Thanks for confirming your view on this.
Old August 22nd 20, 10:37 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Mike Collins

On Saturday, 22 August 2020 00:58:47 UTC+1, JNugent wrote:
[...]

The only problem with your post is I never said anything of the sort.