Edinburgh - Cyclist beaten by 30-strong gang

Old February 17th 04, 03:58 PM
Wallace Shackleton

Default Edinburgh - Cyclist beaten by 30-strong gang

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/scotland/3495901.stm

Cyclist beaten by 30-strong gang
Police have appealed for witnesses
A cyclist suffered serious injuries when he was attacked by a
group of up to 30 teenagers, police have revealed.

The 33-year-old man was set upon by the gang as he rode home from
the shops through Victoria Park in the Trinity area of Edinburgh.

The man suffered serious head injuries, a six-inch cut to his
cheek, for which he will require plastic surgery, and extensive
bruising.

A police spokeswoman described the attack on Sunday as "horrific".

When the victim cycled past the teenagers at about 2200 GMT, he
was approached by a boy on a motorised scooter and at the same
time hit from behind with an unknown object.

The victim was set upon by a large group of teenagers who seemed
intent on assaulting him
Police spokeswoman
He was then knocked off his bike by the gang and punched and
kicked around the head and body.

It is believed three boys were wielding wooden bats or sticks.

The man, who had been travelling through the park from Ferry Road
to Craighall Street, managed to escape and made his way home from
where he called an ambulance.

He suffered head injuries and is being treated in St John's
Hospital, Livingston.

A Lothian and Borders Police spokeswoman appealed for witnesses to
come forward.

She said: "This was an horrific attack on a man returning home
from running an errand.

Two cyclists

"The victim was set upon by a large group of teenagers who seemed
intent on assaulting him.

"There was no attempt made to rob him and his bike, which he was
forced to abandon, was recovered by police a short time later."

The gang, which included around eight girls, are believed to be
aged between 14 and 16.

Detectives are also keen to trace two cyclists who may have
witnessed the attack.

A dark-haired man, aged 30-35, was riding a mountain bike
alongside a teenage boy, who was wearing a red top.

They were riding south in the opposite direction to the victim
from Craighall Road to Ferry Road.

Anyone with information is asked to contact police on 0131 343 3171.
--
Wallace Shackleton,

Kinross,
Scotland.

Cycling in Kinross-shire www.cyclekinross.org.uk

Perth & Kinross Cycle Campaign www.bycycle.org.uk

Old February 17th 04, 06:03 PM
Graeme

Wallace Shackleton wrote in news:tRqYb.4720
:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/scotland/3495901.stm

Cyclist beaten by 30-strong gang

Bloody hell! That sounds terrible! Gave me a big fright as Vic Park is just
up the road from where I used to live (Newhaven Road) and that's where I
used to start/finish my cycle rides, plus the guy is the same age as me. I
hope it isn't anyone I know (not that that makes it any better or worse for
the guy).

Graeme
Old February 17th 04, 06:41 PM
elyob

"Wallace Shackleton" wrote in message
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/scotland/3495901.stm

Cyclist beaten by 30-strong gang
Police have appealed for witnesses
A cyclist suffered serious injuries when he was attacked by a
group of up to 30 teenagers, police have revealed.

That is really, really nasty. Must admit that it's something I worry about
in some of the less prosperous areas I cycle through. Maybe not as many, but
even two or three could do some serious damage. Which reminds me of the time
five 13 year old girls attacked me when I was walking on the pavement with a
bike. I was 20yo and pretty fit. A whole bar full of people across the road
laughed as I kept hold of my bike and tried to hold them at bay.Obviously
they knew I couldn't attack them back. They got bored when I kept on telling
them that they hit and kick like little girls, and it didn't hurt at all.
Which was true.

Old February 17th 04, 08:37 PM
Adrian Boliston

"elyob" wrote in message

..........Which reminds me of the time
five 13 year old girls attacked me when I was walking on the pavement with

bike. I was 20yo and pretty fit.....

Hey! That's them girls from Cheltenham Ladies College! ;-)

Old February 17th 04, 09:00 PM
elyob

"Adrian Boliston" wrote in message
"elyob" wrote in message

..........Which reminds me of the time
five 13 year old girls attacked me when I was walking on the pavement

with
bike. I was 20yo and pretty fit.....

Hey! That's them girls from Cheltenham Ladies College! ;-)

Well, it was in Cheltenham .. funny that you mention that However, they
didn't see laa-dee-daa enough.

Old February 17th 04, 09:09 PM
Adrian Boliston

"elyob" wrote in message

Well, it was in Cheltenham .. funny that you mention that However, they
didn't see laa-dee-daa enough.

It just rang a bell with me and sure enough google archives came to my
rescue..........mind you it was only *three* girls in the original post back
in 2002!

Old February 17th 04, 11:29 PM
elyob

"elyob" wrote in message

Well, it was in Cheltenham .. funny that you mention that However,

they
didn't see laa-dee-daa enough.

It just rang a bell with me and sure enough google archives came to my
rescue..........mind you it was only *three* girls in the original post

back
in 2002!

Heh heh ... I'm getting older ....

Old February 18th 04, 12:28 AM
Nick

"Wallace Shackleton" wrote in message
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/scotland/3495901.stm

Cyclist beaten by 30-strong gang
Police have appealed for witnesses
A cyclist suffered serious injuries when he was attacked by a
group of up to 30 teenagers, police have revealed.

The 33-year-old man was set upon by the gang as he rode home from
the shops through Victoria Park in the Trinity area of Edinburgh.

The man suffered serious head injuries, a six-inch cut to his
cheek, for which he will require plastic surgery, and extensive
bruising...

This is unbelievable; what sort of a bloody country are we living in?

Unfortunately there was a very similar story on the news tonight here. Some
youths attacked a lad on a mountain bike by hitting him over the head with
an iron bar (this was in Worcester) and leaving him unconscious. I don't
think he's as seriously injured as the chap in Edinburgh though.

Old February 18th 04, 07:02 AM
Gearóid Ó Laoi/Garry Lee

This is unbelievable; what sort of a bloody country are we living in?

You are living in a bloody country like I'm living in (Ireland), a country
where people are no longer afraid of the police.
This kind of thing started in Dublin in the 1950s and a special squad of
police under "Lugs" Brannigan, a policeman and former boxing champion took
charge.
They just beat up any troublemakers and Dublin was restored to
graveyard-like calm.

Nowadays of course the poor pets have their civil rights.

The law is an ass.