sunglasses with inserts for prescription lenses

Old October 29th 10, 01:35 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
yirgster

Default sunglasses with inserts for prescription lenses

Prescription inserts in cycling sunglasses. Do these work well?

Looking for some recs or advice on cycling sunglasses that take
inserts for prescription lenses or where you can just use prescription
lenses at a reasonable cost.

I use blended, progressive lenses in my regular glasses and would
prefer to do so also here.

Roy
Old October 29th 10, 01:51 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Michael Korenchuk

On Oct 28, 8:35*pm, yirgster wrote:
Prescription inserts in cycling sunglasses. Do these work well?

Personal experience with Bolle some years back was no. Frame
configuration necessitated a lens position that angled back rather
than a flat plane, which threw my scrip off and made it hard to
focus. I was using progressive lenses. Would talk to the lens
dispenser before making the plunge.

Old October 29th 10, 02:02 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Nate Nagel[_2_]

On 10/28/2010 08:35 PM, yirgster wrote:
Prescription inserts in cycling sunglasses. Do these work well?

Looking for some recs or advice on cycling sunglasses that take
inserts for prescription lenses or where you can just use prescription
lenses at a reasonable cost.

I use blended, progressive lenses in my regular glasses and would
prefer to do so also here.

Roy

FWIW I have not yet taken the plunge and bought any kind of
sport-specific glasses yet, but as a person of limited vision, I
freaking LOVE my "Silhouette" rimless, hingeless glasses. Lightest
glasses I've ever had and they. just. stay on my face - yes, even while
cycling. I'm contemplating getting a pair of them as sunglasses. Only
downside is that not being particularly "sporty" they do allow some wind
in your eyes at high speed.

nate

--
replace "roosters" with "cox" to reply.
http://members.cox.net/njnagel
Old October 29th 10, 04:36 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Gary Young

On Thu, 28 Oct 2010 17:35:38 -0700, yirgster wrote:

Prescription inserts in cycling sunglasses. Do these work well?

Looking for some recs or advice on cycling sunglasses that take inserts
for prescription lenses or where you can just use prescription lenses at
a reasonable cost.

I can't comment on how well they work, but for reasonable cost, you might
look at the goggles carried by Zenni Optical:

http://www.zennioptical.com/#/?frm_type%5B%5D=727

$25 for prescription sunglasses may seem like an indicator of bad
quality, but I have some sub-$20 Zenni eyeglasses that seem just as good
as what I used to pay $300 for.

Old October 29th 10, 04:45 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
kolldata

try http://www.yorktowneopt.com/miva/mer...&Store_Code=YO

goes polarized copper brown light full sun/partly cloudy to blue glare
guard or gray full bright sun then yellow for full cloudy. use tape to
secure. the instants have wind wings prevent back glare. wash with
water force then dilute non CHOH dish detergent. maybe wipe out with
Bausch & Loam sight savers.
brown and deafinitly copper turn blue sky bluer and define cloud
shapes/SUV
Old October 29th 10, 05:31 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

On Oct 28, 7:35*pm, yirgster wrote:
Prescription inserts in cycling sunglasses. Do these work well?

Looking for some recs or advice on cycling sunglasses that take
inserts for prescription lenses or where you can just use prescription
lenses at a reasonable cost.

I use blended, progressive lenses in my regular glasses and would
prefer to do so also here.

Roy

I have some Bolle Edge II sunglasses with prescription inserts. Been
using them for about 10 years or so. This model is no longer made. I
have two frames that I can switch the insert between. One with dark
lens and one with clear lens. I presume you could put a progressive
bi-focal lens in an insert. The insert is small so that may affect
how much lens you are looking through for distant or close viewing.
I've been perfectly happy with using inserts. No fogging of the
insert lens. It does require cleaning two sets of lenses after
rides. The sunglass lens and the insert lens.
Old October 29th 10, 01:30 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Peter Cole[_2_]

On 10/28/2010 11:36 PM, Gary Young wrote:
On Thu, 28 Oct 2010 17:35:38 -0700, yirgster wrote:

Prescription inserts in cycling sunglasses. Do these work well?

Looking for some recs or advice on cycling sunglasses that take inserts
for prescription lenses or where you can just use prescription lenses at
a reasonable cost.

I can't comment on how well they work, but for reasonable cost, you might
look at the goggles carried by Zenni Optical:

http://www.zennioptical.com/#/?frm_type%5B%5D=727

$25 for prescription sunglasses may seem like an indicator of bad
quality, but I have some sub-$20 Zenni eyeglasses that seem just as good
as what I used to pay $300 for.

I use blended, progressive lenses in my regular glasses and would prefer
to do so also here.

I have a couple of pairs of the Zenni cycling glasses. For the price, it
was easier to get one clear & one dark rather than screwing around with
multiple outer lenses.

They work fine, like all the glasses I've purchased from them (perhaps a
dozen pairs).

I find cycling glasses with inserts (Zenni or others) have several
compromises. The first is that the corrective inserts, being small
enough to fit behind the outer lens, do limit peripheral vision more
than typical glasses. The size also limits degree of correction (I'm
about 2 diopters). None of the Zenni inserts are large enough for them
to be made as bifocals, according to their site (there's something like
a 35 mm lens height minimum), I assume most other insert type glasses
would have similar restrictions. Even if you could get a bifocal lens
that small, I don't know if you'd be happy with them.

Depending on the amount of curvature in the frame & especially the
insert (degree of wraparound) the amount of correction may be limited
before you get distortion. Having 4 surfaces rather than 2 gives you
more opportunity for interior reflections and water/fog accumulation.
Having the extra insert makes them heavier than regular glasses.

Cycling (and most other) glasses are normally absurdly expensive, and
not necessarily particularly durable. The wrap around style does limit
wind on the eyes a bit, but sometimes can actually be worse if they
channel air under the lens. Insert types are usually worse at this,
since they stand off the face more. I think they're mostly a style
affectation, and the insert type aren't particularly flattering,
particularly with a clear lens.

All in all, particularly for bifocals (which I don't use), I think it
makes more sense just to get a suitable pair of glasses/sunglasses and
ride with those. My criteria for riding glasses a reasonably large
lens, light weight frame and lens and corrosion/sweat resistance. I have
a pair of hingeless/frameless that are actually a little too light, I
think a strong wind could blow them off. My go-to pair for riding around
is usually a slightly heavier titanium framed aviator.

I've never used the auto-darkening lenses, some people love them, some
hate them. My wife really likes the "clip-on" sun lens style that uses
tiny magnets on the nosepiece, they really do look much nicer than
typical clip-ons. As it stands now, I hardly ever wear my wrap around
glasses. There's nothing wrong with them, they just don't provide any
particular advantage that outweighs the typical optical compromises of
that type.
Old October 29th 10, 01:32 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
BobT[_3_]

"yirgster" wrote in message
Prescription inserts in cycling sunglasses. Do these work well?

Looking for some recs or advice on cycling sunglasses that take
inserts for prescription lenses or where you can just use prescription
lenses at a reasonable cost.

I use blended, progressive lenses in my regular glasses and would
prefer to do so also here.

Roy

I use Bolle Vigilante glasses with prescription insert. I have progressive
lenses as well. This has worked well for me for years. Many different
lenses tints including clear available. Each time I have had to buy them, I
found them for sale at much less than the MSRP.

BobT

Old October 29th 10, 01:50 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Duane Hébert

On 10/29/2010 8:32 AM, BobT wrote:
wrote in message
Prescription inserts in cycling sunglasses. Do these work well?

Looking for some recs or advice on cycling sunglasses that take
inserts for prescription lenses or where you can just use prescription
lenses at a reasonable cost.

I use blended, progressive lenses in my regular glasses and would
prefer to do so also here.

Roy

I use Bolle Vigilante glasses with prescription insert. I have progressive
lenses as well. This has worked well for me for years. Many different
lenses tints including clear available. Each time I have had to buy them, I
found them for sale at much less than the MSRP.

Do you have problems with peripheral vision?

I have a pair of regular progressive lenses that darken in the sunlight.
They aren't big enough so I get sun in my eyes morning
and evenings over the top of the lenses. I also can't see well when
looking over my shoulder because the lenses aren't wide enough.

But I have friends with progressive lenses in cycling glasses and they
complain that the lenses are too big and the inserts are too small to
cover them so they end up with the same problem.

Every functional seeming solution that I've seen is too expensive.
Maybe I'll wait until styles change again and I can get bigger lenses...
Old October 29th 10, 03:11 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Barry[_3_]

Looking for some recs or advice on cycling sunglasses that take
inserts for prescription lenses or where you can just use prescription
lenses at a reasonable cost.

I use blended, progressive lenses in my regular glasses and would
prefer to do so also here.

I have a pair of wrap-around Bolles (don't know which model) with prescription
lenses, not inserts, and have been very happy with them. I use progressive
lenses in my regular glasses, but skipped the near-vision correction on the
Bolles and have no problem with that while riding. My main reason for getting
the glasses was eye protection - my regular glasses let in too much dust and
grit. My prescription is moderately strong (one eye is -4.75, the other
is -3.50) and my usual optician told me that he could not do wrap-around
lenses that strong. But through another rider I found an optician who rides
and who specializes in prescription glasses for sports. So I think the best
bet is to ask around and find an optician who's comfortable making this kind
of lens. In New Jersey or the Phila. area, try Marlton Eye
(http://www.infosheet.com/marltoneye/).