PD-M525 -- no detents in spring tension adjustment bolt

Old September 19th 12, 01:43 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Gary Young

Default PD-M525 -- no detents in spring tension adjustment bolt

A friend of mine was adjusting the spring tension on a Shimano SPD
pedal, model PD-M525. He backed out the adjusting bolt so far that it
disengaged from the spring plate. He managed to rethread the bolt into
the spring plate. However, whereas the bolt used to settle into three
detents with each revolution (to allow matching the tension between
pedals, according to Shimano instructions), it now turns continuously.
He hasn't trying clipping in yet, but the pedal seems to be functional
despite the loss of the detents.

Unfortunately, I don't have the pedal in front of me and Shimano's
exploded diagrams of its SPD pedals don't seem to display the parts
that make up the spring tension mechanism.

A few questions --

Can anyone explain what happened? Did he lose a part? Most important,
is there any safety issue if he tries to use the pedal in its current
state?

Old September 19th 12, 01:59 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
datakoll

https://www.google.com/webhp?hl=en&t...w=1152&bih=635
Old September 19th 12, 02:50 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
datakoll

oh yeah I didn;t read the pdf but look into the list of parts then compare to parts seen in diagram

Old September 19th 12, 03:09 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
DirtRoadie

On Sep 18, 6:43*pm, Gary Young wrote:
[...]

The detent function comes from "teeth" on the underside of the screw
head that engage a small conical washer with tabs that are keyed into
in side recesses in the socket that receives the screw head. Those
recesses extend horizontally and are visible even with the screw in
place. It should be possible to see whether the washer is in place by
looking for its tabs in those recesses. I would assume it is not. I
can't envision that it poses any issue at all although the screw might
loosen over time.
DR