A near miss

Old June 4th 06, 02:58 AM posted to rec.sport.unicycling

Default A near miss

A cautionary note - no, make that 2 notes.

A pitch black night.
Newly laid street with virgin pavement.
No houses yet; no street lights.
I can see nothing and nothing can see me.
Been here before; know the drill.
This time I shall try out my single LED uni light (Range about 5 ft).

Thank Heavens.

In the darkness ahead lieth a waiting monster.
Three meters of fresh concrete
protected by a miniscule twig for a barrier.

The intrepid unicyclist approacheth......

.......expecting nothing but good pavement.

What the.....? The LED has seen something.

Reaction delay reduces the range from 5 ft to 2 ft.

Now the moral of this note is to make sure you can pile off the back of
the uni when you have to. Never mind the being graceful bit.

Dismounting from the front would have been a disaster. And a running
front dismount doesn't bear thinking about.

Note to self: Any light is better than no light.

--
tedward
tedward's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/12206

Old June 4th 06, 03:46 AM posted to rec.sport.unicycling

i used to dimount out in front with the unicycle behind then i figured
it was a lot easier to come off backwards, that way you don't have to
swing the unicycle around so it is in front of you. im gonna get a set
of LED lights and ride around, that would be so cool and yes i agree,
one light is better than no light.

--
tomtrevor

wanna see wacked bikes at their best visit www.mediahug.com/bikes
tomtrevor's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/12118

Old June 4th 06, 05:12 AM posted to rec.sport.unicycling

you can pick up a good LED light with a headband and adjustable angle at
walmart or target for like $10-15. if you wear a helmet, just strap it
on there and it works really well.

edit: i just noticed that you're in new zealand. replace "walmart or
target" with whatever the hell you guys have over there.

--
boo radley

"no really, are you sure you love me more than your unicycle?" -my gf

"America is my country and I love her. I wouldn't enter her in any way
that's unnatural." - hank hill
boo radley's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/10484

Old June 4th 06, 10:46 AM posted to rec.sport.unicycling

^^^^^^^^^^^^^that would be "the warehouse"

--
dan de man

tomtrevor wrote:
how the hell do u get fluro brown??? it would also probably look like
uve dunked the uni in a big pile of sh*t

iridemymuni wrote:
What colour ****s do you do tom ? flouro brown sh*ts? thats kinda weird

tomtrevor wrote:
y do u want to know the colour of my sh*t? like that just isn't natural
for someone to think that.

dan de man's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/11403

Old June 5th 06, 03:03 AM posted to rec.sport.unicycling

The neat thing about wet concrete is that when it dries it tells a
little story. You can see if maybe a bird hopped across it, or a dog
stepped in it, or maybe one set of tracks follows the other.

I'm imagining the locals trying, in years to come, to figure out how
the imprint of a single wheel and sprawled rider in full UPD came to be
embedded in their pavement. That would surely be a story worth telling
;-)

"Maybe he was being chased by jugglers"

--
mark williamson

Dave: Just a question. What use is a unicyle with no seat? And no
pedals!
Dave: Skateboards have wheels.
Mark: My wheel has a wheel!
mark williamson's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/11301

Old June 5th 06, 04:35 AM posted to rec.sport.unicycling

mark williamson wrote:
I'm imagining the locals trying, in years to come, to figure out how the
imprint of a single wheel and sprawled rider in full UPD came to be
embedded in their pavement. That would surely be a story worth telling
;-)

"Maybe he was being chased by jugglers"

I bet the imbedded UPD facial expression would give children nighmares
about the Unicycle Man for many years to come!

--
wobblyjohn
wobblyjohn's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/11060

Anyone ever made a complaint to Brisbane City Council r.e. bus near miss? Jimbo Jones Australia 9 August 29th 05 12:10 PM
Near miss / road tax Straw UK 17 April 22nd 05 09:00 PM
The Hell On Wheel Beauties muniracer Unicycling 19 May 28th 04 08:16 AM
Former Miss America kills cyclist WBtobal General 55 October 18th 03 06:03 AM