Old posters (and not a sock in sight)

Old December 10th 12, 05:42 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
jnugent

Default Old posters (and not a sock in sight)

On 10/12/2012 13:57, PhilO wrote:
On Monday, December 10, 2012 1:23:32 PM UTC, Mentalguy2k8 wrote:
"PhilO" wrote in message

Which can be the same thing. Depending on the subjective definition of "oft"
of course.

Which was made clear by the phrase "we all know"

Why "some people"? What difference does it make to the context of the phrase
"oft told" if one person says it 5 times or 5 people say it once?

He claimed "Obviously a grossly inaccurate portrayal, we all know, even in this
newsgroup oft told, that it impossible for a cyclist to tip over the
handlebars in a collision"

That phrase does not match with one person said it five times.
It does not match with five people saying it once.

It's been said more than five times, by more than one person.
Old December 10th 12, 05:44 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
jnugent

On 10/12/2012 14:28, nik.morgan wrote:
PhilO wrote:
On Monday, December 10, 2012 9:49:32 AM UTC, nik. morgan wrote:

It has been, on more than one occasion.

So, now we are down from "oft told" to "on more than one occassion"

Care to provide some examples of people claiming it is impossible?

Not really, I'm not that bothered.

So you don't mind if we don't believe this unsubstantiated claim, then.

Your previous form shows that whatever I said you wouldn't believe it, why
would this time be different? So why bother? Suffice to say I remember it
and I'm sure other do as well.

Indeed. I can clearly remember multiple assertions to the effect that a
cyclist cannot go over the handlebars and hit his head on the ground.

That just might be the wiggle room that someone needs.
Old December 10th 12, 05:58 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Rob Morley

On Mon, 10 Dec 2012 14:19:42 +0000
soup wrote:

Rob Morley wrote:

Why aren't you riding more than a door width away from parked cars?

Because they parked in the bike lane of a busy road and all the "get
out of my way" drivers would complain of him riding in the middle of
the road?

Tough, the drivers just have to deal with it.

Old December 10th 12, 08:28 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Dave - Cyclists VOR

On 10/12/2012 09:00, PhilO wrote:
On Sunday, December 9, 2012 8:51:42 PM UTC, nik. morgan wrote:

Obviously a grossly inaccurate portrayal, we all know, even in this
newsgroup oft told, that it impossible for a cyclist to tip over the
handlebars in a collision. This propaganda should be stopped forthwith,
before people start believing it.

--

ennemm

Here we go again! "Oft told" is it?
Care to provide some examples of people claiming it is impossible?
And one rabid poster doesn't count.

The times we have been told it's impossible for a cyclist to go over the
handlebars are legion and many-fold. Do try to keep up.

Once again, why would us trolls take the **** out of a concept that had
never come up?

Have some sense man.

vehicle fit only for the poor and/or strange," Dave Horton, of Lancaster
University, wrote in an interim assessment of the Understanding Walking
and Cycling study. "For them, cycling is a bit embarrassing, they fail
to see its purpose, and have no interest in integrating it into their
lives, certainly on a regular basis."
Old December 10th 12, 08:32 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Dave - Cyclists VOR

On 09/12/2012 21:33, Peter Keller wrote:
On Sun, 09 Dec 2012 04:09:12 -0800, Squashme wrote:

I know that the first one has been displayed here before, but still:-

http://tinyurl.com/bsh3lcy

No helmet or hi-viz, and soon to be no lights!

If a car door opens in front of me, my first reaction is to yell and
brake. NOT to swerve into the path of the lorry which is barreling up
behind me.
Sure, I crash into the car door. But that is much better than being
squashed by the alternative.

Wouldn't it be much better to use observation & anticipation skill, as
required in the driving test?

Motorists are rarely, if ever, 'doored' despite travelling faster &
closer to parked cars.

Old December 10th 12, 08:37 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Dave - Cyclists VOR

On 10/12/2012 14:21, DavidR wrote:
"nik.morgan" wrote in message
Squashme wrote:
I know that the first one has been displayed here before, but still:-

http://tinyurl.com/bsh3lcy

No helmet or hi-viz, and soon to be no lights!

Obviously a grossly inaccurate portrayal,

Yes, the bike doesn't have a handlebar.

It's obscured by the cyclists body, idiot.

The device used to launch the back
wheel several yards before the cyclist reached the door is not visible.

No device needed, push bikes are inherently unstable.

realistic time frame means leg below the door can't belong to the driver;
perhaps it belongs to the pedestrian he wiped out in the dash to the parking
space outside the tobacconist door.

What a strange, warped mind you have.

we all know, even in this
newsgroup oft told, that it impossible for a cyclist to tip over the
handlebars in a collision.

Sigh.

This propaganda should be stopped forthwith,
before people start believing it.

Well, you obviously have your own propaganda to believe in.

Old December 10th 12, 08:37 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Dave - Cyclists VOR

On 10/12/2012 12:57, Mrcheerful wrote:
Rob Morley wrote:
On Sun, 9 Dec 2012 21:33:10 +0000 (UTC)
Peter Keller wrote:

If a car door opens in front of me, my first reaction is to yell and
brake. NOT to swerve into the path of the lorry which is barreling
up behind me.

Why aren't you riding more than a door width away from parked cars?

Because the footpath is too narrow?

Nice!

Old December 10th 12, 08:38 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Dave - Cyclists VOR

Peter Keller wrote:

If a car door opens in front of me, my first reaction is to yell and
brake. NOT to swerve into the path of the lorry which is barreling
up behind me.

Why aren't you riding more than a door width away from parked cars?

Because then he would be holding up the tax paying motorists.

Old December 10th 12, 09:37 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
DavidR[_4_]

"JNugent" wrote
PhilO wrote:
On Monday, December 10, 2012 9:49:32 AM UTC, nik. morgan wrote:

It has been, on more than one occasion.

So, now we are down from "oft told" to "on more than one occassion"

Care to provide some examples of people claiming it is impossible?

Not really, I'm not that bothered.

So you don't mind if we don't believe this unsubstantiated claim, then.

Your previous form shows that whatever I said you wouldn't believe it,
why
would this time be different? So why bother? Suffice to say I remember it
and I'm sure other do as well.

Indeed. I can clearly remember multiple assertions to the effect that a
cyclist cannot go over the handlebars and hit his head on the ground.

That just might be the wiggle room that someone needs.

Granted, that is probably closer. Though I doubt the word "cannot" was ever
used. Putting it into perspective, it was the necessary argument to an
assertion that going over the bars is very productive of head injuries.

Old December 10th 12, 10:28 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Peter Keller[_3_]

Peter Keller wrote:

If a car door opens in front of me, my first reaction is to yell and
brake. NOT to swerve into the path of the lorry which is barreling up
behind me.

Why aren't you riding more than a door width away from parked cars?

I usually do, or if I have to ride closer I ride slower.
However that does not change what I posted before. If a car door opens I
still yell, brake hard and not swerve. Someone might exit from the car.

--
Life is a venereal disease with 100% mortality.

To sock or not to sock? sam[_11_] Techniques 213 May 12th 11 02:29 AM
sock it to me! Scott Racing 3 May 19th 10 06:34 AM
Comedy Sock Puppet Just zis Guy, you know? UK 6 July 19th 04 11:00 AM
Tail box/sock/pannier combo Robert Haston Recumbent Biking 1 July 5th 04 05:21 PM
Winter sock recommendations? Moi Off Road 1 January 20th 04 05:49 PM