ARBR has gone downhill

Old December 12th 03, 10:35 AM
Just zis Guy, you know?

Default ARBR has gone downhill

On 9 Dec 2003 23:31:27 GMT,
wrote:

Consider the case of Mr V. Somebody who values untainted wilderness
might find his ideas interesting. But he is generally considered a
nuisance, and people don't really pay attention to his message.

That's being rather charitable to Vandespamm. What actually happens
is that he posts reams of crap, he SHOUTS and calls mountain bikers
LIARS - he is a hysterical loon who was chucked out of the Sierra Club
for abuse of process or some such. He doesn't listen to anybody, he
uses a non-standard quotation character and he doesn't trim, so he
alone was responsible for nearly half the message data volume on that
group before I plonked him. Any discussion with Vandespamm is a
dialogue of the deaf, he won't answer civil questions if they are
asked. Maybe he did at one time and does again now, but in the time
when I read what he said he certainly didn't.

It has been suggested that Vandespamm is actually a bot.

It's kind of fun playing Operation Spiked Pit with him sometimes, but
that is the limit of his value IMO.

Guy
===
http://chapmancentral.demon.co.uk
Old December 12th 03, 08:49 PM
skip

"Rocketman" wrote in message

Nice job, Skipper! pat on the head That's a good dog!

And how are you making things better with this personal attack? Do you

have
an axe to grind like Mr. Dolan? Apparently so.

Rocketman

Nothing personal Rocketman. I haven't a clue as to who you are. Your post
just happened to be handy for making the point to those who seem blinded to
the fact that Ed Dolan isn't the sole poster of flaming off topic political
stuff on a.r.b.r. I'm sorry if that hurt your feelings.

But still, if you are wanting to do the same things Ed Dolan is being
accused of it might be a bit disingenuous for you to be riding on the Let's
Get Ed bandwagon. Perhaps you should follow Mr. Sherman's lead. He ducked
out when the mob started forming.

best wishes from your best friend skipper the good dog

Old December 12th 03, 09:15 PM
Just zis Guy, you know?

On Fri, 12 Dec 2003 14:49:37 -0600, "skip" wrote:

Nothing personal Rocketman. I haven't a clue as to who you are. Your post
just happened to be handy for making the point to those who seem blinded to
the fact that Ed Dolan isn't the sole poster of flaming off topic political
stuff on a.r.b.r. I'm sorry if that hurt your feelings.

Who said Ed was the sole offender? Not me. I put my hands up to
fuelling the flames. I gave the reason why I find ed uniquely
irritating, that his sole authority is the American Journal of Because
I Said So, but I reverted to lurking because it all got so tiresome.

Is this the five pound argument?

Guy
===
http://chapmancentral.demon.co.uk
Old December 12th 03, 09:37 PM
skip

"Just zis Guy, you know?" wrote in message
... snip

Who said Ed was the sole offender? Not me. I put my hands up to
fuelling the flames.

No not you.

Is this the five pound argument?

huh? Is this a Brittish expression? I'm from the backwoods. You'll have
to explain it to me. Sorry.

skip

Old December 12th 03, 10:26 PM
Just zis Guy, you know?

On Fri, 12 Dec 2003 15:37:18 -0600, "skip" wrote:

Is this the five pound argument?

huh? Is this a Brittish expression? I'm from the backwoods. You'll have
to explain it to me. Sorry.

The Monty Python argument sketch. As you say, It's A Brit Thang ;-)

Guy
===
http://chapmancentral.demon.co.uk
Old December 12th 03, 11:26 PM
Kurt Fischer

Edward Dolan wrote:

[...]

However, I am not ready to leave just yet. I am having too much fun
poking and prodding everyone here.

If that's true, then you're a real troll, a relatively civil one,
though. You are here for the sheer pleasure of provoking. Sort of Usenet
rebel, giving a damn about rules, topics and such. Think free - post
free. I always knew deep in your heart you are a true liberal. Or even
libertine? ;-)

[...] I am going to continue to number myself among that 10% and when I see it
becoming too much I will cut back so that the OT will not overwhelm the
newsgroup.

That's a very wise decision. Let's hope your intention will survive the
next Sunset. ;-)

If everyone would learn how to use their newsreaders there would be no problem
whatsoever.

That's right. I've never had any problems with you or Tom, I have a
working newsreader and know how to handle it. But please keep in mind
that there are many here who don't even know about the existence of
proper newsreaders, so your OT-quarrels will cause side-effects
disturbing the whole group if driven too far. Therefore I vote for
quality, not quantity. ;-)

Regards
Kurt
Old December 12th 03, 11:50 PM
harv

I'm sorry, this is abuse. Arguments are down the hall. (memory dims as age
advances, so you'll have to excuse the lack of exact Python dialogue.
Arguments was another brilliant sketch.)

Old December 13th 03, 12:02 AM
harv

Actually, I think Tom has to go afield in his capacity as a civil engineer.
I don't think he'd back away from electronic brickbats and a surly mob of
newsgroupies wielding smoky torches and wooden pitchforks. However for him
to waste his intellect trying to persuade E.D.that his aguments are vacuous
is like King Arthur trying to convince the Black Knight that his wounds are
mortal. (sketch in Monty Python's The Holy Grail).

Old December 13th 03, 04:49 AM
Edward Dolan

(Kurt Fischer) wrote in message ...

Edward Dolan wrote:

[...]

However, I am not ready to leave just yet. I am having too much fun
poking and prodding everyone here.

If that's true, then you're a real troll, a relatively civil one,
though. You are here for the sheer pleasure of provoking. Sort of Usenet
rebel, giving a damn about rules, topics and such. Think free - post
free. I always knew deep in your heart you are a true liberal. Or even
libertine? ;-)

There is an enormous amount of banter prevailing here on this
newsgroup. I think that is what always happens when you have a regular
contingent who have been writing back and forth for many years. I am
entering into this banter in my own inimitable way. But there are
zingers connected with my posts and I do not care about making friends
or being popular. I do admit I like to test my wits here against all
the other "wits". I think I may border on being a troll, but I am not
a real troll because I am always saying more or less what I believe to
be true. And I am giving one and all my true personality and not
pretending to be something that I am not.

[...] I am going to continue to number myself among that 10% and when I see it
becoming too much I will cut back so that the OT will not overwhelm the
newsgroup.

That's a very wise decision. Let's hope your intention will survive the
next Sunset. ;-)

Yes, I am always making resolutions and then someone will post
something that will set me off. But my intentions are noble.

If everyone would learn how to use their newsreaders there would be no problem
whatsoever.

That's right. I've never had any problems with you or Tom, I have a
working newsreader and know how to handle it. But please keep in mind
that there are many here who don't even know about the existence of
proper newsreaders, so your OT-quarrels will cause side-effects
disturbing the whole group if driven too far. Therefore I vote for
quality, not quantity. ;-)

I do not have any experience with newsreaders except for some with my
OE. I prefer the Google web page and that causes me absolutely no
problems at all. I believe about two OT subject threads per 25 is
about right and should never be a problem for anyone.

But I can't believe how these subject threads multiply when there is
no good reason why they should. I believe once I find two good OT
threads I will restrict all my posts to those particular threads and
not be jumping around to other threads no matter how egregious the
insults. I am convinced that there are many here who simply do not
know how to post via Google. You absolutely cannot change the subject
heading as all that does is cause another thread and **** everyone
off even more than they already are. I hate all this proliferation
more than anybody.

Regards,

Ed Dolan - Minnesota