Better than bells

Old September 9th 06, 05:02 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc,rec.bicycles.tech
Bill Sornson

Default Better than bells

John Forrest Tomlinson wrote:
On Sat, 09 Sep 2006 10:48:32 GMT, wrote:

On Sat, 09 Sep 2006 04:16:31 GMT, Jeff Starr
wrote:

On Fri, 08 Sep 2006 21:16:41 -0400, John Forrest Tomlinson
wrote:

JT

PS -- I think you operate in a pretty closed and undiverse world.
The world where all serious cyclists less one wear helmets, and
your stupid phrases are universally known. It's all a piece.

For someone lecturing on clarity and saying what you mean, how about
explaining, or fixing:

"The world where all serious cyclists less one wear helmets".

The above makes no sense.

It parses completely and correctly.

Yeah, but I'll admit it wasn't as clear as it could be. I meant that
Sorni had said that almost every serious cyclist where he lives uses a
helmet, though he once saw a guy who looked like a serious cyclist not
wearing one.

Typical Flogger Lie {tm}. Perhaps you kept a detailed record like you do
with everything else it seems? You'll see I was talking about /one day/ --
the very day's ride I posted IIRC -- not "ever".

What I did say and will reitierate is that nearly all the "real road riders"
I see here in San Diego -- men and women on drop-bar bikes with skinny tires
and wearing "bike clothes" like shoes, shorts and shirts (jerseys) -- wear
helmets. It's truly /unusual/ to see one with a bare head or even a cycling
cap. I'd put it at less than 10%, maybe 5%.

But hey, I also remember you being fair in your posting that one time. It
WAS startling, I must admit! LOL

Old September 9th 06, 05:04 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc,rec.bicycles.tech
Bill Sornson

Dane Buson wrote:
In rec.bicycles.misc wrote:
On Sat, 09 Sep 2006 10:58:28 -0400, John Forrest Tomlinson
wrote:
On Sat, 09 Sep 2006 10:48:32 GMT,

wrote:

PS -- I think you operate in a pretty closed and undiverse
world. The world where all serious cyclists less one wear
helmets, and your stupid phrases are universally known. It's
all a piece.

For someone lecturing on clarity and saying what you mean, how
about explaining, or fixing:

"The world where all serious cyclists less one wear helmets".

The above makes no sense.

It parses completely and correctly.

Yeah, but I'll admit it wasn't as clear as it could be.

On the contrary it was perfectly clear. Compact, which probably
confused Starr; but capable of no other interpretation than that
which was meant.

nitpick mode="grammar"Actually, it was somewhat unclear because of
your lack of commas.

"The world where all serious cyclists, less one, wear helmets."

The commas separate out the aside comment and make it much clearer.

/nitpick mode="grammar"

Never mind, of course, that it was /mistaken/ (sounds nicer than "yet
another God-damned Flogger Lie" {tm}).

Old September 9th 06, 05:15 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc,rec.bicycles.tech

On Sat, 09 Sep 2006 15:05:33 GMT, Jeff Starr
wrote:

"The world where all serious cyclists less one wear helmets".

The above makes no sense.

It parses completely and correctly. I am not surprised that you
cannot understand it - after all, you are the one who claims that a
single anecdote makes a statistical measure "innaccurate".

For the uniformed, jflaylor is refering to a previous post, when he
speaks of a single anecdote.

Not true:

a) it was _you_ who claimed that a single anecdotal contrary incident
is sufficient to render statistical results "innacurate"; and

b) you have done so repeatedly.
Old September 9th 06, 08:10 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc,rec.bicycles.tech
Dane Buson

In rec.bicycles.tech Bill Sornson wrote:
Dane Buson wrote:

nitpick mode="grammar"Actually, it was somewhat unclear because of
your lack of commas.

"The world where all serious cyclists, less one, wear helmets."

The commas separate out the aside comment and make it much clearer.

/nitpick mode="grammar"

Never mind, of course, that it was /mistaken/ (sounds nicer than "yet
another God-damned Flogger Lie" {tm}).

Meh, I'm not really interested in your flame war. [1] I simply wanted
to point out the most efficacious way to add clarity to it.

ObBike: I fastened my cushion to my Xtracycle's snapdeck. Of course now
it's raining, so I finally have to get around to attaching the
fenders to it. I haven't bothered as it's been exceptionally dry
here in the PNW. [2]

[1] How many are you carrying on at the moment?
[2] http://uwnews.washington.edu/ni/arti...rticleID=26557

--
Dane Buson -
C makes it easy for you to shoot yourself in the foot. C++ makes that
Old September 9th 06, 08:54 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc,rec.bicycles.tech
John Forrest Tomlinson

Dane Buson wrote:

nitpick mode="grammar"Actually, it was somewhat unclear because of
your lack of commas.

"The world where all serious cyclists, less one, wear helmets."

The commas separate out the aside comment and make it much clearer.

/nitpick mode="grammar"

Never mind, of course, that it was /mistaken/ (sounds nicer than "yet
another God-damned Flogger Lie" {tm}).

Meh, I'm not really interested in your flame war. [1] I simply wanted
to point out the most efficacious way to add clarity to it.

Thanks.
--
JT

Bells to be made compulsory? "Scotland on Sunday" want your opinion. [email protected] UK 30 August 21st 06 03:00 PM
Da Bell's aspenmike Unicycling 8 August 8th 06 06:53 PM
Cycle-cops and bike bells Tamyka Bell Australia 34 June 17th 04 03:00 AM
BBC take on bells bill Just zis Guy, you know? UK 6 April 30th 04 05:51 PM
Bells On the Trail myocardial Unicycling 15 October 12th 03 10:26 PM