Do aluminum frames wear out?

Old April 4th 04, 01:14 PM
Stephen Harding

Default Do aluminum frames wear out?

David wrote:

Let me tell you that most cycle tourists don't give a damn about caring
for their bikes. They don't. They don't wax the bike and neither they
do baby it from getting rain water, because they don't have time.
There are other pressing needs than stopping to wipe the frame from
rain water or to keep waxing it.

Wettest riding I've ever done was Washington state where it
rained pretty much constantly (although generally very lightly)
for nearly 2 weeks.

My steel Trek 520 has never been waxed over the 10 years I've
owned it. I do occasionally deluge it with citrus cleaner
and/or WD-40 and water from a hose, but not much in the way
of "cleaning".

I've seen no deleterious effects on the frame or the bike as
a whole from this lack of care. Still looks and runs great.

SMH

Old April 6th 04, 02:45 AM
David

In article , Stephen Harding
wrote:

David wrote:

Let me tell you that most cycle tourists don't give a damn about caring
for their bikes. They don't. They don't wax the bike and neither they
do baby it from getting rain water, because they don't have time.
There are other pressing needs than stopping to wipe the frame from
rain water or to keep waxing it.

Wettest riding I've ever done was Washington state where it
rained pretty much constantly (although generally very lightly)
for nearly 2 weeks.

My steel Trek 520 has never been waxed over the 10 years I've
owned it. I do occasionally deluge it with citrus cleaner
and/or WD-40 and water from a hose, but not much in the way
of "cleaning".

I've seen no deleterious effects on the frame or the bike as
a whole from this lack of care. Still looks and runs great.

SMH

True enough for all bike frames -- your mileage varies from various
usage and conditions. I had seen good steel frames rust real bad
because their paint peeled off by excess rough use, exposing the
material to the elements. These bike frames were used by a pair of
globe trotters out of Quebec and that they were in a very sorry state.
And don't forget that steel, when exposed to the elements, will always
want to revert to its rustic state -- iron ore. That's the advantage
aluminium has over steel.
Old April 29th 04, 10:18 AM
Klaus G

Default Do pasta frames wear out?

Luigi de Guzman wrote in message . ..
On Tue, 30 Mar 2004 21:24:17 -0800, Benjamin Lewis
wrote:
snip
Here's what this says about "vira".

snip

The discussion to which you have linked cites, Allen & Greenough's (O
you twin banes of schoolboys everywhere!) opinion on the matter, with
which I concur:

I have yet to encounter any Latin neuter noun whose nominative and
accusative plurals did not end in -a. Donatus bears me out, using
*scamnum (bench) as his example:

[I have capitalised the inflections]

The rule is quite explicit: any noun of the neuter gender has a
single simple case in the nominative, accusative, and vocative cases
together. In the case of *virus, that form is, in the singular,
*virus, and in the plural, (theoretically) *vira. The essay you have
cited is therefore in error when it expects the vocative form of
*virus to be *O vire.

Never. "virus" is a rare case of a neuter noun of the o-declension.
So the "would-be" plural is viri, virorum, viris, viros, viris.

Klaus G.

[...]

Bizzare Tire Wear Tony General 11 February 17th 04 12:45 PM
Winter hat to wear under a helmet? Sanjay Punjab General 9 September 4th 03 03:47 AM
Threaded versus threadless headset Hjalmar Duklęt General 64 August 29th 03 06:55 PM
Bike for big AND tall person Peter Cole General 20 August 13th 03 01:38 PM