Car Passenger Knocks of Cyclist - An Answer

Old August 15th 08, 06:21 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling,uk.legal
judith

Default Car Passenger Knocks of Cyclist - An Answer

On Fri, 15 Aug 2008 09:13:24 +0100, "Just zis Guy, you know?"
wrote:

On Thu, 14 Aug 2008 09:20:44 -0700 (PDT), aquachimp
said in
:

What evidence to you actually have that he is (note tense) encouraging
his children to wear helmets?

I found it extraordinary how often Judith's sig tag re the relevant
quote went unchallenged. What's more, since, she has pointed out that
the alleged lapsed web site is dated 2008, and this too hasn't been
dismissed.

Port 8080 is my old Lotus Domino site which has not been maintained
actively for at least a year,the copyright date is computed on the
fly but at the bottom right is a tag which clearly identifies the
modification date, in this case "Version 3 created 27/06/2004 , last
updated 31/08/2004"

The problem here - is that you continue to lie - and continue to be
found out.

Here are two simple questions:
1) Did you change the pages this week?
2) Did you update the modification date?

Keep digging.

--

if you're going to make snide insinuations about the author, as you
undoubtedly did, then you can

Old August 15th 08, 06:22 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
judith

On Thu, 14 Aug 2008 23:47:08 +0100, Martin
wrote:

aquachimp wrote:

I found it extraordinary how often Judith's sig tag re the relevant
quote went unchallenged.

Prob. because many people have plonked her as she is a troll. She has
also been accused of trolling other news groups/

Only by you sunshine

PS - you still haven't provided any evidence of that.

Post it and I look stupid - don't post it and you look stupid.

Old August 15th 08, 06:35 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Paul Boyd[_4_]

Default OT: filtering GG

On 15/08/2008 09:31, Mark McNeill said,

I'm not being inundated by waves of spam: is it filtered by
news.individual.net, or has it died down at source, so to speak?

I've actually removed my gmail filter in the last couple of days because
the filter logs were showing that no spam was being removed with that
filter. I think it's been removed at source - I don't think Zen has any
filtering on its news servers.

--
Paul Boyd
http://www.paul-boyd.co.uk/
Old August 15th 08, 06:39 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Paul Boyd[_4_]

On 15/08/2008 17:49, Phil W Lee said,

You've never had to fight your way into blister packaging then?
Removing insulation from wires, trimming tyre boots to the right
shape, cutting string/wire/tiewraps for just about anything.

I had a moment in Morrison's once - I buy cat food in those
shrink-wrapped packs of tins, but my cat doesn't like one of the
flavours. No problem, there's an RSPCA food donations bucket on the way
out so I just got my penknife out, sliced the shrink-wrap and stuck
those tins in the bucket...

....then realised that I was getting the sort of looks I should expect if
I was brandishing a machine gun! I've nearly always got a penknife with
me - I don't know how people do without them :-)

--
Paul Boyd
http://www.paul-boyd.co.uk/
Old August 16th 08, 03:52 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Mark McNeill

Response to Rob Morley :

I've changed both my newsreader and my news server, with the result
that I'm not filtering Google Groups at the moment.

How do you like Claws Mail? I think it's rather good.

I just haven't had the time to play with it properly, TBH, I've just
got to the stage of replacing the old muscle memory of the Gravity
keyboard shortcuts with the sometimes-not-too-dissimilar approaches in
Claws. I've tried getting to grips with the processing rules &
filtering, but it just takes time, which I haven't really got at the
moment. Maybe another way of saying it is that I found the filtering
non-intuitive; but I do like it at the moment.

NIN does filter spam quite effectively, although I've been noticing a
bit more recently than I've seen for a while. Certainly not a case of
being inundated, though.

Thanks, all, for that - I was just curious that the GG spam seemed to
have reduced.

--
Mark, UK.

Old August 17th 08, 11:03 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
aquachimp

On Aug 15, 7:39*pm, Paul Boyd wrote:
On 15/08/2008 17:49, Phil W Lee said,

You've never had to fight your way into blister packaging then?
Removing insulation from wires, trimming tyre boots to the right
shape, cutting string/wire/tiewraps for just about anything.

I had a moment in Morrison's once - I buy cat food in those
shrink-wrapped packs of tins, but my cat doesn't like one of the
flavours. *

Rabbit per chance?

No problem, there's an RSPCA food donations bucket on the way
out

Crikey, I've seen a donations trolly in Auchan Ronq (near Lille,
France), but that was for people!

so I just got my penknife out, sliced the shrink-wrap and stuck
those tins in the bucket...

...then realised that I was getting the sort of looks I should expect if
I was brandishing a machine gun! *I've nearly always got a penknife with
me - I don't know how people do without them :-)

I used to. Swiss army knife.(or similar)
Now I have 1 in the car and 3 right in front of me.
It took years and years to get out of the habit. When I was self
employed I always had one.
It was like part of me.

However, I got stung badly with the loss of a really nice one at
Dublin Airport a couple of years ago. I forgot I had it on me, in my
hand luggage as it so happened and boy but were they really ****ed off
with me over it.

--
Paul Boydhttp://www.paul-boyd.co.uk/

Old August 18th 08, 09:24 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling

On 15 Aug, 18:39, Paul Boyd wrote:
On 15/08/2008 17:49, Phil W Lee said,

You've never had to fight your way into blister packaging then?
Removing insulation from wires, trimming tyre boots to the right
shape, cutting string/wire/tiewraps for just about anything.

I had a moment in Morrison's once - I buy cat food in those
shrink-wrapped packs of tins, but my cat doesn't like one of the
flavours. No problem, there's an RSPCA food donations bucket on the way
out so I just got my penknife out, sliced the shrink-wrap and stuck
those tins in the bucket...

...then realised that I was getting the sort of looks I should expect if
I was brandishing a machine gun! I've nearly always got a penknife with
me - I don't know how people do without them :-)

--
Paul Boydhttp://www.paul-boyd.co.uk/

Reason 1
You've never had to fight your way into blister packaging then?
Removing insulation from wires, trimming tyre boots to the right
shape, cutting string/wire/tiewraps for just about anything.

Reason 2
I just got my penknife out, sliced the shrink-wrap and stuck
those tins in the bucket...

Can't say I have ever had the need to carry any sort of knife around
in public. I appreciate people do, I am not saying it's a good idea,
I don't think it is and if I had a 'reason' to do so it would have to
be an extremely good reason, I doubt I could think of one.

I doubt either reason above would be considered sufficient for
carrying a lock or fixed bladed knife. I think they have all been
tried at various times. NB note (2) is penknife so not in either
category and perfectly legal.

The problem with lock knives, as I envisage the probable reasoning,
is that whilst one may have a razor sharp pen knife that can do a huge
amount of damage the owner also has a reasonable expectation that if
they were to attempt stabbing someone the blade would likely close and
cut their fingers/hand. This limits the fighting uses to slashing and
static cutting - not pleasant but definitely more manageable. With a
lock knife this natural mental barrier is removed, the knife now
becomes exponentially more dangerous even in the hands of the
untrained.

In all I am only giving what I consider to be useful information. I
hope whichever police officer you may come across would speak to you
and make a rational informed decision based on the time of day,
location and explanation given. I would, but I can't guarantee that
all police officers would and I doubt any explanation would be
sufficient in some circumstances, like being a minicab
driver...definitely raise questions.

I arrested once a man who stated he was a sculptor for carrying a
sharply pointed hammer that was in a jacket pocket...I decided going
to a nightclub hardly qualified that as a tool of the trade. Turned
out he was a sculptor but he still wasn't entitled to take a hammer
into a nightclub for a night out.

Sniper8052
Old August 18th 08, 11:51 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Mike Clark

In message
" wrote:

[snip]
Can't say I have ever had the need to carry any sort of knife around
in public.

The problem is that the law defines "in public" as anywhere that the
public have free or paid access to. So possessing a knife whilst wild
camping in Wales or The Lake District falls under the act but is very
different in character to possessing a knife in a nightclub.

Mike
--
o/ \\ // |\ ,_ o Mike Clark
\__,\\ // __o | \ / /\, "A mountain climbing, cycling, skiing,
Old August 18th 08, 02:07 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling

On 18 Aug, 11:51, Mike Clark wrote:
In message
" wrote:

[snip]

Can't say I have ever had the need to carry any sort of knife around
in public.

The problem is that the law defines "in public" as anywhere that the
public have free or paid access to. So possessing a knife whilst wild
camping in Wales or The Lake District falls under the act but is very
different in character to possessing a knife in a nightclub.

Mike
--
o/ \\ // |\ ,_ o Mike Clark
\__,\\ // __o | \ / /\, "A mountain climbing, cycling, skiing,
" || _`\,_ |__\ \ | immunology lecturer, antibody engineer and
` || (_)/ (_) | \corn computer user"

Very true, I remember as a young scout traipsing all over said Lake
District with a large sheath knife...probably was not a brilliant idea
but like I said better to have the information than not and hopefully
you not meet a 'sproggy woodentop' but one with a few years under his
belt and 'bit of common'

Sniper8052