New Sub-species of Stealth Cyclist

Old December 5th 03, 12:31 PM
Michael MacClancy

Default New Sub-species of Stealth Cyclist

"Tony Raven" wrote in message
MSeries wrote:

Do you mean "Donor" as in "Organ Donor", or "Doner" as in "Doner
Kebab" ? Both could be applicable I suppose!

Washed down with a nice Chianti ffff

I thought it was a Riesling now

Lecker, lecker.
___
Michael MacClancy

Old December 5th 03, 12:50 PM
Tony Raven

Michael MacClancy wrote:

Lecker, lecker.

? (Do I really want to know I wonder?)

Tony

Old December 5th 03, 01:14 PM
Michael MacClancy

"Tony Raven" wrote in message
Michael MacClancy wrote:

Lecker, lecker.

? (Do I really want to know I wonder?)

Sorry, it's German for 'tasty, tasty'.
___
Michael MacClancy

Old December 5th 03, 01:23 PM
Just zis Guy, you know?

"Michael MacClancy" wrote in message

Which raises the question, "What do people do when their batteries are
flat?"

(a) plug in the spare batteries

or

(b) what batteries? I have a SON!

--
Guy
===

http://chapmancentral.demon.co.uk

Old December 5th 03, 01:33 PM
Mark van Gorkom

Which raises the question, "What do people do when their batteries are
flat?"

If both rear lights quit, I'll just ride on, secure in the knowledge
that a good reflector is visible over greater distances than the
average bike rear light.
In the very unlikely event of both front lights giving out, I'll
deploy a hand torch, and go to Condition Red...

Mark van Gorkom.
Old December 5th 03, 02:27 PM
James Hodson

On Fri, 5 Dec 2003 09:44:40 -0000, "Michael MacClancy"
wrote:

Which raises the question, "What do people do when their batteries are
flat?" Ride on regardless of the fact that you're breaking the law,
frantically look for a shop where you can buy new ones or catch the bus?

This is the only time I feel semi-justified when breaking the law on
my bike. I certainly don't feel comfortable, just semi-justified.

Whenever my light's batteries run out (it's always the front light) I
resort to riding very slowly on the pavement. I dismount and push my
bike across any junctions or other roads.

I almost always carry a spare set of AAs with me but once in a while
do forget to pack them.

James

--
"Sorry mate, I didn't see you" is not a satisfactory excuse.
Old December 5th 03, 02:59 PM
Russell Fulker

Michael MacClancy wrote:

Which raises the question, "What do people do when their batteries are
flat?" Ride on regardless of the fact that you're breaking the law,
frantically look for a shop where you can buy new ones or catch the bus?
___
Michael MacClancy

I found myself in that position last year when my normally reliable
rechargables that power the front lights gave up the ghost about a mile
from work on a road with no pavement.

I got off and started walking. I thought about crossing the road to be
on the correct side, but figured that with a rear light I'd be safer to
stay where I was. And if I was going to be on the road, I might as well
be on it for as short a time as possible, so I got back on and rode
cautiously into work. Felt a bit odd though.

Old December 5th 03, 03:06 PM
Howard

"Mark Thompson" (change warm for hot) wrote in message ...
Didn't know what to make of this one. Seen at 6.45pm (so well dark). Was
wearing a fl. jacket but with no lights. As I got closer I noticed he did
have lights in the mesh sidepocket of his bag, but hadn't bothered turning
them on and putting them on his bike!

Come on, what sort of 'stealth cyclist' is it who wears a flourescent
jacket! I also notice that you were even able to tell what he had in
the pockets of his bags so he seems very unstealthy to me!

It seems to me that in order to be a genuinely stealthy cyclist one
needs to put at least £100 worth of high power halogen lighting onto
ones bike. I find doing so renders me (supposedly) invisible to many
drivers. Wierd thing is drivers seem to have no problem seeing unlit
cyclists - this must be the case as they are always reporing seeing
cyclists riding without lights!

Perhaps BUPA should re-run their TV ad where they say 'the human eye
can see a candle flame 5 miles away' adding 'but cannot see a cyclist
20 yards away even when they are dressed like something from outer
space'!

By the way, I wonder were the term 'Stealth cyclist' comes from, maybe
the Sun (originator of the term 'Lycra Nazis' firt seen in Jeremy
Clarkson rant) or perhaps the Daily Mail who it seems introduced the
term 'Lycra Lout' to the English language?
Old December 5th 03, 03:26 PM
Vincent Wilcox

Michael MacClancy wrote:
"Howard" wrote in message
om...

It seems to me that in order to be a genuinely stealthy cyclist one
needs to put at least £100 worth of high power halogen lighting onto
ones bike. I find doing so renders me (supposedly) invisible to many
drivers.

Oh, that's interesting. Why don't you give us a few examples of instances
when drivers have failed to see you with your £100 worth of high power
halogen lighting? (You do need to turn them on, you know!) How often does
this happen to you? 5 times/ride, every ride, once every 5 rides, once in a
blue moon, days with the letter 'z' in them? What proportion of drivers
fail to see you? 90%, 50%, 20%, 5%, 0.5%, 0.005%?

Don't tell me - the halogen lighting only points forward, you don't have a
back light, which is why no one coming from behind sees you!
___
Michael MacClancy

Err, 21.314159% or thereabouts.

Old December 5th 03, 03:27 PM
Michael MacClancy

"Howard" wrote in message
om...

It seems to me that in order to be a genuinely stealthy cyclist one
needs to put at least £100 worth of high power halogen lighting onto
ones bike. I find doing so renders me (supposedly) invisible to many
drivers.

Oh, that's interesting. Why don't you give us a few examples of instances
when drivers have failed to see you with your £100 worth of high power
halogen lighting? (You do need to turn them on, you know!) How often does
this happen to you? 5 times/ride, every ride, once every 5 rides, once in a
blue moon, days with the letter 'z' in them? What proportion of drivers
fail to see you? 90%, 50%, 20%, 5%, 0.5%, 0.005%?

Don't tell me - the halogen lighting only points forward, you don't have a
back light, which is why no one coming from behind sees you!
___
Michael MacClancy

Cyclist scraps around the world plans Mike Kruger General 5 June 21st 04 09:23 PM
not a cyclist loki General 38 May 22nd 04 02:06 PM
Cyclist Jailed For Tire Slashings B. Lafferty Racing 8 April 19th 04 01:14 PM
What Makes You A Cyclist? TheCyclist2002 General 87 March 21st 04 05:42 AM
American crash cyclist gets 20 years in jail. Howard UK 23 November 25th 03 03:06 PM