New Sub-species of Stealth Cyclist

Old December 8th 03, 04:55 PM
Mark Thompson

Default New Sub-species of Stealth Cyclist

On a lit street I don't need lights to see, I can see reflective signs
over
1/4 of a mile away, I assume people could see me, if not dazzled by other
lights, over a similar distance.

Are we, cyclists and motorists, in a lighting arms race?

I think so - I've seen /very/ powerful lights on some cars, so much so that
they dazzle me when just dipped. On a road with streetlights you only need
sidelights anyway. I wish all the other car drivers knew that.

Mark.

Old December 8th 03, 06:05 PM
Simon Brooke

"Mark Thompson" (change warm for hot) writes:

On a lit street I don't need lights to see, I can see reflective signs

over
1/4 of a mile away, I assume people could see me, if not dazzled by other
lights, over a similar distance.

Are we, cyclists and motorists, in a lighting arms race?

I think so - I've seen /very/ powerful lights on some cars, so much so that
they dazzle me when just dipped. On a road with streetlights you only need
sidelights anyway. I wish all the other car drivers knew that.

Is it not illegal to drive with just dipped headlights now?

The Conservative Party now has the support of a smaller proportion of
the electorate in Scotland than Sinn Fein have in Northern Ireland.
Old December 8th 03, 06:09 PM
dirtylitterboxofferingstospammers

I think so - I've seen /very/ powerful lights on some cars, so much so that
they dazzle me when just dipped. On a road with streetlights you only need
sidelights anyway. I wish all the other car drivers knew that.

Except that rule 95 of the Highway Code says

"You should also
* use dipped headlights, or dim-dip if fitted, at night in built-up areas and
in dull daytime weather, to ensure that you can be seen
* keep your headlights dipped when overtaking until you are level with the
other vehicle and then change to main beam if necessary, unless this would
dazzle oncoming traffic
* slow down, and if necessary stop, if you are dazzled by oncoming headlights.

Cheers, helen s

to get correct one remove dependency on fame & fortune
h*$el*$$e**nd***$o$ts***i*$*$m**m$$o*n**s@$*$a$$o* *l.c**$*$om$$

Old December 8th 03, 09:52 PM
Nigel Randell

"AndyMorris" wrote in message
Simon Brooke wrote:

The roads
would probably be a lot safer is there was quite a low cap to the
maximum candlepower it was legal to use on a vehicle in a built up
area - the real problem in urban situations in difficult weather is
glare, dazzle and visual clutter, not lack of light.

Very true indeed, just out of interest how powerfull are car headlights ?

Could be wrong here but I'm pretty sure my car uses 55/60W per side, these
are standard halogens, don't know about the new halide type bulbs though.

--
Nigel Randell

Old December 8th 03, 10:02 PM
Nigel Randell

"Mark Thompson" (change warm for hot)
wrote in message ...
Didn't know what to make of this one. Seen at 6.45pm (so well dark). Was
wearing a fl. jacket but with no lights. As I got closer I noticed he did
have lights in the mesh sidepocket of his bag, but hadn't bothered turning
them on and putting them on his bike!

Caught a glimpse of an interesting one this evening: illumination was a red
LED on the back and on the front were a green LED and a red one. The the
road was well enough lit for it to be pretty obvious what was going on but I
could imagine this set up causing consternation on a narrower, less well lit
road.

--
Nigel Randell

Cyclist scraps around the world plans Mike Kruger General 5 June 21st 04 09:23 PM
not a cyclist loki General 38 May 22nd 04 02:06 PM
Cyclist Jailed For Tire Slashings B. Lafferty Racing 8 April 19th 04 01:14 PM
What Makes You A Cyclist? TheCyclist2002 General 87 March 21st 04 05:42 AM
American crash cyclist gets 20 years in jail. Howard UK 23 November 25th 03 03:06 PM