Prize for narrowest combined cycle lane/footpath.

Old August 22nd 04, 03:16 PM
David W.E. Roberts

Default Prize for narrowest combined cycle lane/footpath.

Hi,

walking along today (I trust it is permissible to admit to walking in a
cycling NG) and I saw a footpath with markings indicating that it was for
shared used by pedestrians and cyclists.

I could see why this was set up - an area of housing and offices was
isolated by a one way street (to prevent the street becoming a rat run to a
dual carriageway) which made it very difficult for cyclists to access this
area.
They would have to negotiate a long detour along a very busy dual
carriageway.
The surrounding area (an estate) is well provided with joint use paths which
(IMHO) are very well planned.

So you need cycle access against the flow in a one way street.

However this path was about 3 feet wide at the widest point, and about 3"
where the foliage had not been cut back.

Even at its widest I could not see how a cyclist and a pedestrian
(especially a pedestrian with a push chair) could pass each other.

So what is the point of such an arrangement?

Proper provision was sensible.

Marking up an unsuitable path is highly dangerous and not likely to endear
pedestrians to cyclists and vice versa.

Anyone come across anything even more stupid?

Cheers
Dave R

Old August 22nd 04, 08:40 PM
Howard

"David W.E. Roberts" wrote in message

Anyone come across anything even more stupid?

Cheers
Dave R

Easy. The 9" cycle lane complete with sunken drain.

http://www.thebikezone.org.uk/thebik...cilities2.html

See also (some pearlers on here).

http://www.warringtoncyclecampaign.c...-of-the-month/

And yet more madness...

http://www.weirdcyclelanes.co.uk/
Old August 23rd 04, 11:26 AM
davek

David W.E. Roberts wrote:
(I trust it is permissible to admit to walking in a
cycling NG)

Heathen!

Anyone come across anything even more stupid?

There's a cycle path near me that is punctuated by lamp-posts every few
yards, with about a foot of clearance either side of the lamp-post. The
lamp-posts were always there - when they decided to turn the path into
shared-use, they just slapped the red tarmac down around the lamp-posts.

d.
Old August 24th 04, 10:48 PM
Iain Jones

"David W.E. Roberts" wrote in
:

Anyone come across anything even more stupid?

Cheers
Dave R

On the run into Ambleside from Windermere, the cycle lanes aren't just
narrow, they're claustrophobic. Not been along there on a bike yet but
wouldn't want to.
Old August 27th 04, 11:03 PM
Jeremy Parker

Anyone come across anything even more stupid?

Cheers
Dave R

How about, for a change, a bike lane that's short, so short that my
bike is too long to fit in it, and overhangs each end. The lane's
length is about equal to its width. It's square.

Location: Arnold Circus, SW side, Shoreditch, London E1.

Jeremy Parker

Old August 31st 04, 11:32 AM
David Nutter

Jeremy Parker said:

Anyone come across anything even more stupid?

Cheers
Dave R

How about, for a change, a bike lane that's short, so short that my
bike is too long to fit in it, and overhangs each end. The lane's
length is about equal to its width. It's square.

Location: Arnold Circus, SW side, Shoreditch, London E1.

It actually exists? Highway engineers must get ideas from the Framley
Examiner...

http://www.bikereader.com/BikeReader...misc/fram.html

Regards,

-david

Who is going to Interbike? Bruce Gilbert Techniques 2 October 10th 03 09:26 PM
FAQ Just zis Guy, you know? UK 27 September 5th 03 10:58 PM
CTC / Cycle Campaign Network Autumn Conference Simon Geller UK 0 September 2nd 03 11:15 AM
Pick 'n Pay Cape Argus Cycle Tour - Cape Town, South Africa, 2004 David Cowie Racing 0 August 28th 03 10:29 PM
Pick 'n Pay Cape Argus Cycle Tour - Cape Town, South Africa, 2004 David Cowie UK 0 August 28th 03 10:29 PM