Crank questions?

Old March 23rd 05, 11:03 PM
Ken Marcet

Default Crank questions?

I I have this old "Sugino human technology cycloid" crank set, 2 crank arms,
triple chain ring, 48t 38t 28t rings, that came off a schwinn something or
other mtb / atb that I thought would make a nice upgrade for my Western
Flyer road bike that still has an old ashtabula style crank. I have found a
couple of conversion kits,
http://www.bikepartsusa.com/product_...-96769&large=1 and
http://www.jensonusa.com/store/product.aspx?i=BB610Z00 I would like to use
a sealed cartridge bottom bracket, but the bottom bracket that was with the
sugino is an older type with open cup and cones. Has any one used one of
these kits? DO they take a cartridge bb, from the pictures it looks like
they do. If they don't take the cartridge type is there a kit that will take
a cartridge? Oh yeah and what is up with the oblong chainrings?

Ken
--
More of my mind dribblings: http://mind-dribble.blogspot.com/
And my homepage: http://kcm-home.tripod.com/

Old March 24th 05, 12:54 AM
Werehatrack

On Wed, 23 Mar 2005 18:03:54 -0500, "Ken Marcet"
may have said:

I I have this old "Sugino human technology cycloid" crank set, 2 crank arms,
triple chain ring, 48t 38t 28t rings, that came off a schwinn something or
other mtb / atb that I thought would make a nice upgrade for my Western
Flyer road bike that still has an old ashtabula style crank.

You're probably going to lose a little of the high-gear speed
capacity, but as road bikes are generally geared higher than the
average rider really needs, that's probably not a disadvantage.

I have found a couple of conversion kits,
http://www.bikepartsusa.com/product_...-96769&large=1 and
http://www.jensonusa.com/store/product.aspx?i=BB610Z00 I would like to use
a sealed cartridge bottom bracket, but the bottom bracket that was with the
sugino is an older type with open cup and cones. Has any one used one of
these kits?

Assuming that you're talking about using the Sugino non-sealed BB with
the adapter, and assuming that the Sugino was set up for a 68mm BB
shell (which is likely), it will work. The Sugino BB you have fits
the same as the sealed cart type, except that you have to adjust the
left cup and then lock it in place with a spanner on the lockring. No
problem, as long as you have the tool(s).

DO they take a cartridge bb, from the pictures it looks like
they do.

The adapter is used with any 68mm "English thread" BB, sealed or not.

...Oh yeah and what is up with the oblong chainrings?

They were an attempt to capitalize on Shimano's advertising hype for
the Biopace chainrings, which were also more or less elliptical. Some
people like them, most have no real experience with them, some loathe
them, and a few folks claim they will destoy your knees and send you
into a nursing home in Florida. I have a set of Biopace rings on one
of my bikes, and they neither seem to help nor hinder me. I think
that in many cases, the hype - in both directions - is just that. For
the amount of riding that I seem to recall you plan to do with this
bike, I can't imagine that the elliptical sprockets will make a
difference one way or the other.

Muni Questions: Weight & Crank length smdO2 Unicycling 1 February 18th 05 07:50 AM
ultegra octalink: tick Tick TICK TICK TICK! H. Guy Techniques 44 February 2nd 05 01:56 AM
New bicycle idea Bob Marley General 49 October 7th 04 05:20 AM
Splined hub and crank maintainence gerblefranklin Unicycling 14 April 16th 04 12:32 AM
Adjustable crank idea onewheeldave Unicycling 93 February 13th 04 10:34 PM