700x18-23 tubes mated to 700x26 tires

Old December 26th 08, 10:38 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

Default 700x18-23 tubes mated to 700x26 tires

Is this combo a no-no? The salesman at my LBS said it's ok. I just
don't seem to recall a valve stem with so much space between it and
the rim. New tube is from Giant (presta, long and unthreaded).
Personaly, i've always liked threaded presta valve stems. Thanks, Bob.
Old December 26th 08, 10:42 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Chris[_12_]

On Dec 26, 2:38*pm, wrote:
Is this combo a no-no? *The salesman at my LBS said it's ok. *I just
don't seem to recall a valve stem with so much space between it and
the rim. *New tube is from Giant (presta, long and unthreaded).
Personaly, i've always liked threaded presta valve stems. *Thanks, Bob.

It should be fine. It is a good idea to match the size as close as
possible, but tubes are very forgiving. They only downside I can see
is the tube will be thinner from stretching to fit the slightly bigger
tyre, and be more prone to flats. But, I have run 26" x 1.5'-1.75"
tube on my mountian bike for months with no issue at all. Just be sure
to stay on top of your pressure.

Chris
Old December 26th 08, 11:33 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
landotter

On Dec 26, 4:38*pm, wrote:
Is this combo a no-no? *The salesman at my LBS said it's ok. *I just
don't seem to recall a valve stem with so much space between it and
the rim. *New tube is from Giant (presta, long and unthreaded).
Personaly, i've always liked threaded presta valve stems. *Thanks, Bob.

Using a piece of white tailor's chalk, write 19-26mm on the side of
the tube...PRESTO--your exact size!!!

In a better world, there'd be a commonly available 23-30 tube for real
world tires--but there isn't--so you're stuck stretching skinny tubes
a bit. No big deal. I'm lucky in that I run real 30s and 32s--"35-43"
tubes in these fit perfectly--they just fit when inflated--no
stretching, meaning that I have more pinch flat protection.

The tube makers want to put bigger numbers on the tube because it
makes it look like the tube weighs less. Use the biggest possible tube
if you want durability without getting wrinkles--so your 23 tube is
fine to 26, sketchy to 30, and unreliable at 32.
Old December 27th 08, 03:42 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
landotter

On Dec 26, 10:45*pm, SMS wrote:
wrote:
Is this combo a no-no? *The salesman at my LBS said it's ok. *I just
don't seem to recall a valve stem with so much space between it and
the rim. *New tube is from Giant (presta, long and unthreaded).
Personaly, i've always liked threaded presta valve stems. *Thanks, Bob.

I'm sure it'll work okay, though the tube will be a bit thin when inflated.

I'd buy the 700 x 25-32c tubes instead. These are widely available.

/snort

Good luck! I bet you'd have to visit about five shops to find one with
that "normal" size in stock. Usually they just stock the 23 tubes,
which most folks just stretch to 28, and the 35s, which in reality are
sized small and fit down to 30s.

The REI out in suburbland might have the middlers--one could always
put the bike on top of the car and find out--good opportunity to save
the planet and buy buy buy lots of organic fud at the megaorganic
groceries with all of the other ballcapped superwhitepeople this
weekend as well--also with their bikejewelry on top of their Audis.

Don't forget to pick up decorations for Valentines day!!!!

Old December 27th 08, 05:57 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
SMS

landotter wrote:

Good luck! I bet you'd have to visit about five shops to find one with
that "normal" size in stock.

Why on earth do you think that a tube that covers the 25mm-26mm tire
size is not a "normal" size? If a shop doesn't have this size tube then
it's time to find a new shop that can stock the most basic items, rather
than sell you something that works, but not optimally.

Michelin:
"http://www.bikesomewhere.com/bikesomewhere.cfm/product/269/1922/25627?g=1"

REI: "http://www.rei.com/product/685342"

Innova:
"http://www.bicycletires.com/pIKSRT/Innova_Standard_Weight_Road_Tube/product.htm"

Pyramid:
"http://www.amazon.com/Pyramid-Bicycle-25-30-Presta-Valve/dp/B000AO9Q1K/ref=sr_1_14?ie=UTF8&m=A2TE9IQP68MWQU&s=sporting-goods&qid=1230399652&sr=1-14"

Nutrak (UK)
"http://www.petracycles.co.uk/inch-presta-inner-tube-p-12663.html"

Halford's (UK)
"http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?catalogId=10151&storeId=10001&produ ctId=169611&categoryId=165545&langId=-1&source=aw"

Continntal (UK)
"http://www.onyourbike.co.uk/p3078/Continental-Cross-700-X-25-35c-Presta-Valve-Inner-Tube/product_info.html"
(apparently Continental has discontinued the 25-32 and now has a 25-35).
Old December 27th 08, 06:48 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
A Muzi

landotter wrote:
On Dec 26, 10:45 pm, SMS wrote:
wrote:
[...]

Don't you normally see 23/25 and 28/32 and 35/43 tubes?

--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org/
Old December 27th 08, 09:45 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
SMS

wrote:
Pricepoint has 700x28-35 $10 for 5 PV tubes

Might be a little too big for a 700x26 tire though.
Old December 27th 08, 09:51 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

They also have 18-25 for the same price. One or two mm difference
between tube and tire makes no difference

Old December 27th 08, 11:24 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Tom Sherman[_2_]

"landotter" wrote:
[...]
The REI out in suburbland might have the middlers--one could always
put the bike on top of the car and find out--good opportunity to save
the planet and buy buy buy lots of organic fud [...]

"fud" - are you a Lolcyclist?

--
Tom Sherman - 42.435731,-83.985007
LOCAL CACTUS EATS CYCLIST - datakoll

new and used tires and tubes $1 to $25 Donald ORourke[_2_] Marketplace 0 May 27th 08 12:48 AM
27 x 1-1/8 tubes OK for 27 x 1-1/4 tires? OughtFour Techniques 9 August 10th 05 10:34 PM
406 tires and tubes LSMike UK 6 March 10th 05 05:42 PM
Where to buy ISO 37-590 tires & tubes? HKEK Techniques 15 August 11th 04 02:04 PM
Size of tubes for 2.3 tires Erling Ringen Elvsrud Techniques 4 September 8th 03 03:08 AM