Bike for big AND tall person

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old July 14th 03, 09:14 PM
Peter Cole

Default Bike for big AND tall person

"Frank Eparvier" wrote in message
I'm 6'7" (2 meters) tall and weigh around 300 lbs (136 kg).
Can anyone offer any suggestions on a road bike that would both
fit my size and take the punishment that my mass would inflict
on it?

Don't know what you're looking for in terms of style or price range, but being
6'10", 235, I've gone through a few learning curves. For road riding, I think
a touring bike is a good choice. These bikes are made a little stronger (and
heavier), both in the frames and components, particularly wheels, which are
often the weakest link. Touring frames can also take larger tires, and have
somewhat longer wheelbases, which makes them better for the big and tall,
respectively.

For less demanding riding, or a lower price point, mountain bikes are probably
the best choice. At your weight, suspension components may be marginal. For
serious mountain biking, the big/heavy rider is better off using components
for the more aggressive "downhill" bikes. They, like touring stuff, are
overbuilt a bit. A mountain bike can be easily set up with narrow, smooth,
high pressure, tires for less rolling resistance on pavement.

Bike setup is critical for the non-standard size rider. The best resource is a
competent bike shop. They should know what'll work and be there for after-sale
support. Again, wheels are *very* important. You'll need not only fairly
rugged wheels, but they'll also need to be well tensioned and stress relieved.
Typical bike wheels are often sold with spoke tension too low, and that makes
for a weak wheel and problems down the road.