Seven Alaris Bike Total Weight

Old August 21st 04, 08:15 AM
David Alyea

Default Seven Alaris Bike Total Weight

I recently bought a Seven Alaris, size 59cm, with
a Wound Up fork. I built the bike up with full
Ultegra 9 speed, and I have Velocity Aerohead wheels
with Ultegra hubs I put on it. My question for
everyone to consider is this: why does my bike feel
like a tank?!

I should mention right off that I took the parts
off a 2001 Fuji Team, which was a very light bike.
So, I was used to riding what was a lighter, but
inferior in terms of quality, bike.

Here is my bike build- where is it that all the
weight is coming from? Where I know the weights,
I've listed them.

Frame - 3 lb. 11 oz.
Fork - 1 lb. 2 oz.
Chris King headset
90mm Ritchey comp stem
Ritchey Comp 44cm handlebars
Profile tape
Thomson 27.2 seatpost
175mm Ultegra cranks
Ultegra calipers
Ultegra FD and RD
SRAM PC69 chain
Selle Italia Flite Trans Am saddle - 8.7 oz.
Velocity Aerohead wheels, 28 spoke, 2x front, 2/3x rear
Conti GP3000 tires
Specialized ribbed bottle cages
Jannd small size bag - 3.4 oz.
- Plastic tire levers - 1.2 oz.
- CO2 threaded nozzle 1.1 oz.
- 1 CO2 threaded cannister 2.2 oz.
- spare tire 2.3 oz.
- patch kit 1.2 oz.
(total bag with all inside is 10.4 oz.)

I used to have a non-threaded setup, but I saved
about 2 oz. going with the threaded. I've cut
down the seatpost. Otherwise, this is a lean
machine! But... wow, it's a hefty bike. With
the cages and bag, it's easily 20+ lbs., probably
more like 21.

Any ideas?

David
Old August 21st 04, 12:27 PM
Arthur Harris

"David Alyea" wrote:

I used to have a non-threaded setup, but I saved
about 2 oz. going with the threaded. I've cut
down the seatpost. Otherwise, this is a lean
machine! But... wow, it's a hefty bike. With
the cages and bag, it's easily 20+ lbs., probably
more like 21.

Oh my goodness! You're doomed. The problem is obviously that 2.3oz spare
tire.

Art Harris

Old August 21st 04, 12:53 PM
Jim Smith

"Arthur Harris" writes:

"David Alyea" wrote:

I used to have a non-threaded setup, but I saved
about 2 oz. going with the threaded. I've cut
down the seatpost. Otherwise, this is a lean
machine! But... wow, it's a hefty bike. With
the cages and bag, it's easily 20+ lbs., probably
more like 21.

Oh my goodness! You're doomed. The problem is obviously that 2.3oz spare
tire.

Art Harris

maybe removing all but the top spokes in each wheel could bring the weight
under control.
Old August 21st 04, 01:48 PM
Qui si parla Campagnolo

ironmanda- My question for
everyone to consider is this: why does my bike feel
like a tank?! BRBR

'Does it 'feel' like a tank when riding or doing the universal 'pickup' when
one sees a new bike?

21 pounds for s machine that will reliably take you many hundreds of miles.

If it weighed 3 pounds less, do ya suppose you would be scads faster?

WAY too much emphasis on bicycle weight, not enough emphasis on fit, fitness,
fat(on the rider) and finesse.

Peter Chisholm
Vecchio's Bicicletteria
1833 Pearl St.
Boulder, CO, 80302
(303)440-3535
http://www.vecchios.com
Old August 21st 04, 01:53 PM
(Pete Cresswell)

RE/
My question for
everyone to consider is this: why does my bike feel
like a tank?!

With me, it's always been buyer's remorse. I tend to get over it in 2-3
months.
--
PeteCresswell
Old August 21st 04, 04:49 PM
Steve Braun

Because it is. My 61cm 2001 Fuji Team frame weighed 2.9 pounds, (weighed on
a digital postal scale at the local MailBoxes etc.)

om...

Old August 21st 04, 04:51 PM
Dave Thompson

"David Alyea" wrote in message
om...
I recently bought a Seven Alaris, size 59cm, with
a Wound Up fork. I built the bike up with full
Ultegra 9 speed, and I have Velocity Aerohead wheels
with Ultegra hubs I put on it. My question for
everyone to consider is this: why does my bike feel
like a tank?!

I should mention right off that I took the parts
off a 2001 Fuji Team, which was a very light bike.
So, I was used to riding what was a lighter, but
inferior in terms of quality, bike.

David

I suspect that your bike doesn't weigh as much as you think, and not a whole
lot more than your old Fuji. The difference in the "feeling" of the bikes, I
believe, comes more from the differences in the geometries and dimensions
than the actual weight.

Old August 21st 04, 07:28 PM
(Pete Cresswell)

RE/
So, I was used to riding what was a lighter, but
inferior in terms of quality, bike.

Ride my 32-pound Duo for a few days... then your Alaris will feel even better
that the prev bike....
--
PeteCresswell
Old August 21st 04, 08:17 PM
Arthur Harris

"Qui si parla Campagnolo " wrote:
If it weighed 3 pounds less, do ya suppose you would be scads faster?

I think it's a case of excessive expectations. After spending big bucks on a
Seven, folks expect to see an instant and pronounced improvement in their
riding. Not gonna happen.

WAY too much emphasis on bicycle weight, not enough emphasis on fit,

fitness,
fat(on the rider) and finesse.

The four "F"s -- great line!

Art Harris

Old August 21st 04, 08:27 PM
Craig

My question for
everyone to consider is this: why does my bike feel
like a tank?!

I don't think you mentioned what you have on your bike for pedals? Anyhow,
your frame by itself seems to be on the heavy side. There are 2.5 lb AL
scandium frames on the market that have 1 lb on you from the get go. Tour
De France bikes are right around 15lbs but for us Average Joes, most long
for a race bike that is anything sub-20lbs. Would you be any happier if
your bike weighed in at 19lbs? 18lbs?

Not sure where you could save weight, carbon bars, carbon stem (maybe a one
piece)? Ti spindle pedals (speedplay), get rid of your bar tape (kidding),
TI chain, there is definitely a point of diminishing returns where you are
paying about a dollar or more for every gram saved. You have to figure out
if it's worth it to you.

At 20lbs you bike is not a tank. I know it's been played a million times
but the cheapest way to drop weight is to lose it from your ass and gut.
Unless you already look like Tyler Hamilton, who sometimes reminds me of one
of the Olsen twins.

Goodluck and be careful that you don't someday wake up and realize you've
become a weight weenie.