Strange Sound

Old August 30th 04, 11:21 AM
Garry Jones

"Blair P. Houghton" wrote:

A small deformation in a bearing race?

In the hub? No, with my wheels on a friends bike his wax silent. My bike
still had the noise with his wheels.

Garry J
Old August 30th 04, 11:21 AM
Garry Jones

Trevor wrote:

Tyre rubbing on seat tube or front mech band or cable or most likely
mudguards. Mudguards nearly always squeak, the whoosh is because the tyre
is very close to the 'guards.

No mudguards. And no tyre rub that I or anyone riding near me can see.

Garry J

Old August 30th 04, 02:00 PM
Qui si parla Campagnolo

garry- This is driving me nuts. Help! BRBR

Rims? If OpenPro, it could be the loose wedge syndrome.

Peter Chisholm
Vecchio's Bicicletteria
1833 Pearl St.
Boulder, CO, 80302
(303)440-3535
http://www.vecchios.com

Old August 30th 04, 07:03 PM

On Mon, 30 Aug 2004 12:20:18 +0200, Garry Jones

Dear Garry,

A slightly bent axle?

No, because when I borrowed my friends wheels I still had the sound.
With my wheels on his bike he had no sound.

Garry J

Dear Garry,

D'oh!

You said so quite plainly in your original post, but I
spaced it out--sorry, but thanks for your polite and patient
reply.

I note with alarm that Blair and Peter have offered
suggestions involving the inside of your silent when swapped
wheel, so I'm afraid that my foolish reply led them down the
wrong path.

Since the wheel is silent on another bike, but the sound
cycles with the wheel and continues when freewheeling, I
wonder if something flexing ever so slightly under your
weight is letting the tire touch the brake assembly or the
rim touch the pads.

You could unscrew the whole brake, zip-tie it to the seat,
and ride around the block to test this possibility.

Carl Fogel

Old August 30th 04, 09:06 PM
Craig

Rims? If OpenPro, it could be the loose wedge syndrome.

Peter Chisholm
Vecchio's Bicicletteria
1833 Pearl St.
Boulder, CO, 80302
(303)440-3535
http://www.vecchios.com

From the original POST: NOTE:

"Then just to make sure it was the hub before dismantling I changed
wheels with a friend who also has campag 9. We changed both wheels and
rode out to test. The sound stayed on my bike and with my wheels on his
bike he had no sound."

Old August 31st 04, 12:28 AM
Garry Jones

Craig wrote:

Rims? If OpenPro, it could be the loose wedge syndrome.

Peter Chisholm
Vecchio's Bicicletteria
1833 Pearl St.
Boulder, CO, 80302
(303)440-3535
http://www.vecchios.com

From the original POST: NOTE:

"Then just to make sure it was the hub before dismantling I changed
wheels with a friend who also has campag 9. We changed both wheels and
rode out to test. The sound stayed on my bike and with my wheels on his
bike he had no sound."

This one gets weirder...

I rode my friends bike with his wheels, and the noise stayed with me.

He rode my bike, and it was silent.

I then rode my bike with yet another rear wheel and it was silent.

We both have Mavic OpenPro with the same Campag 9 hubs and gearing. It
appears that both our rear wheels have developed the same sound. The
reason the sound only occurs when I cycle on either bike is that I weigh
82 kg and my friend weighs 72 kg.

I suspect the sound is from the rim and I have ordered a new one today.
My friend will live with his problem for a while longer.

I just hope its not the hub...

Thanks for all of your input into this one guys....

Garry Jones

RR: Great Day Strange Leg. Bill Wheeler Mountain Biking 8 September 21st 04 09:21 AM
KH sound rusty Unicycling 6 April 5th 04 10:48 PM
Strange Creaking Sound... Bob Incognito Australia 9 December 5th 03 10:15 PM
Strange fatigue again...? (long) Mitch Pollard Australia 14 August 29th 03 08:24 AM