Strange Sound

Old August 31st 04, 10:45 PM
Garry Jones

"Blair P. Houghton" wrote:

Use that wheel. It's mechanically more stable than yours.

Should have mentioned it is an old rear wheel off of a training bike
with a standard 6 speed cog freewheel mech.

Wierdest possible explanation: your legs are causing
uneven vortex shedding that makes the spokes sing with
an alternation that your friend doesn't generate (this
doesn't require you to pedal, because these vortices are
oscillatory). Hey. It could happen.

Yes, but this happens when I am not pedaling.

You might also try getting your spokes tensioned higher.

They were very tensioned on the right hand side and not so much on the
left.

I just hope its not the hub...

I'd be dismayed if a Campy hub couldn't handle an 82-kg
powerplant. I'm 90 kg and don't get that sort of creaking
from 20-year-old Shimano gear...

It should not be the hub as friend has the noise as well. One hub =
maybe, two hub = very unlikely. Note these bikes are bought at different
times in different shops. But the same local bike shop man has trued
both of our wheels.......

It still does not sound like spoke noise though.

However, Craig's tip was interesting. Recently two of the circular rings
around nipples became detached and rolled up and down on their spokes
until I cut them off. That's my main reason for buying a new rim, I need
one anyway. I broke a rim in 2001 in a week long event. I had it fixed
over night, new rim, but the local shop there did not have the correct
spokes so my old spokes were reused on the new rim. I was told to get
them changed when I got back home, but I never bothered.

Should I avoid now Mavic rims? Give me a good tip on a good rim for
about the same price. (I pay about $45 a rim out here in Sweden).

Garry Jones
English Cyclist ResIDING in Sweden
Old September 2nd 04, 12:25 AM
Trevor

Garry Jones wrote in message ...
Craig wrote:

Rims? If OpenPro, it could be the loose wedge syndrome.

Peter Chisholm
Vecchio's Bicicletteria
1833 Pearl St.
Boulder, CO, 80302
(303)440-3535
http://www.vecchios.com

From the original POST: NOTE:

"Then just to make sure it was the hub before dismantling I changed
wheels with a friend who also has campag 9. We changed both wheels and
rode out to test. The sound stayed on my bike and with my wheels on his
bike he had no sound."

This one gets weirder...

I rode my friends bike with his wheels, and the noise stayed with me.

He rode my bike, and it was silent.

I then rode my bike with yet another rear wheel and it was silent.

We both have Mavic OpenPro with the same Campag 9 hubs and gearing. It
appears that both our rear wheels have developed the same sound. The
reason the sound only occurs when I cycle on either bike is that I weigh
82 kg and my friend weighs 72 kg.

Shaping the spokes at the crossing point so that they make a definite bend
in wheel contruction will result in a more stable wheel. without the
shaping, the spokes will flex no matter how high the tension, and so result
in an inferior build. Try it with your old rim.

Trevor

Old September 2nd 04, 12:25 AM
Trevor

Craig wrote:

Rims? If OpenPro, it could be the loose wedge syndrome.

Peter Chisholm
Vecchio's Bicicletteria
1833 Pearl St.
Boulder, CO, 80302
(303)440-3535
http://www.vecchios.com

From the original POST: NOTE:

[...]

RR: Great Day Strange Leg. Bill Wheeler Mountain Biking 8 September 21st 04 09:21 AM
KH sound rusty Unicycling 6 April 5th 04 10:48 PM
Strange Creaking Sound... Bob Incognito Australia 9 December 5th 03 10:15 PM
Strange fatigue again...? (long) Mitch Pollard Australia 14 August 29th 03 08:24 AM