Reliability trials, races or what?

Old January 15th 06, 03:17 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling

Default Reliability trials, races or what?

Just ridden the only one I have ridden apart from out local one which
is decidedly pedestrian. The course (?) was Horsham to Hindhead and
back.It would have helped if they had a route sheet! I entered the 4 hr
group with about 16 others, by 5 miles we were down to 10,
but then we got caught by a 3.5 hr group and the pace went too much for
me;
I caught some 3.5hr riders who had punctured and rode with one; but we
had
no idea where we were going , eventually reached Dunsfold where I
remembered
having ridden through on a 400 from Hindhead so went that way, but
ended up
near Guildford. Eventually reached Haslemere where there were actually
signs to Hindhead So piled it on up the hill to the cafe; the
controller had gone so I picked up a receipt and threw myself at the
bike on the way back after having gone 15km too far on the way out,
(and met the controller on the way back who had seen me grunting up the
hill to Hindhead so stamped my card) and reached the finish at 4.02 hrs
(which is within the time band apparently as you are allowed 10% over)
but was pleased with my fastest ever 100k at 3.50. Next one in 2 weeks,
can't wait (FSVO)

Old January 16th 06, 10:21 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling

MartinM wrote:

but then we got caught by a 3.5 hr group and the pace went too much for
me;

Early season reliabilities are always like this.

Our on (Clifton CC) just has everyone start at the same time and then
the first hill does the sorting into groups

Fun though

Arthur

--
Arthur Clune
Old January 16th 06, 10:25 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling

Arthur Clune wrote:
MartinM wrote:

but then we got caught by a 3.5 hr group and the pace went too much for
me;

Early season reliabilities are always like this.

Our on (Clifton CC) just has everyone start at the same time and then
the first hill does the sorting into groups

would have been fun if I had been riding in a group for more than 15
miles. I do like the idea of RT's, like audax but with less cake, but
they seem to be an after end of / before beginning of season thing
only.

Old January 16th 06, 10:34 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling

MartinM wrote:
Arthur Clune wrote:
MartinM wrote:

but then we got caught by a 3.5 hr group and the pace went too much for
me;

Early season reliabilities are always like this.

Our on (Clifton CC) just has everyone start at the same time and then
the first hill does the sorting into groups

would have been fun if I had been riding in a group for more than 15
miles. I do like the idea of RT's, like audax but with less cake, but
they seem to be an after end of / before beginning of season thing
only.

Just looking at the map; I went 5 miles out of the way on the way back
as well! no wonder there was no cake left at the end.

Old January 16th 06, 10:50 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling

I am organising CC Luton's event this year (Sunday 5th March - HQ near
Dunstable - see my earlier post "Chiltern Classics Reliability Rides"
for full details).

All riders receive route instructions AND we even go out the day before
and signpost the entire route for the hard of understanding. Could you
ask for more?

Normally, we set the quicker riders off first to avoid them catching
slower groups and blowing them to pieces like this. As we are running
the event with British Cycling insurance cover, we are not supposed to
have more than 20 riders in any group, so it also avoids huge groups
forming when the faster riders catch the slower ones.

Ta, Bronzie

Old January 16th 06, 10:58 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling

Bronzie wrote:

I am organising CC Luton's event this year (Sunday 5th March - HQ near
Dunstable - see my earlier post "Chiltern Classics Reliability Rides"
for full details).

All riders receive route instructions AND we even go out the day before
and signpost the entire route for the hard of understanding. Could you
ask for more?

Normally, we set the quicker riders off first to avoid them catching
slower groups and blowing them to pieces like this. As we are running
the event with British Cycling insurance cover, we are not supposed to
have more than 20 riders in any group, so it also avoids huge groups
forming when the faster riders catch the slower ones.

I organised one in November over Ashdown Forest, I put the fastest
riders last but no danger of them blowing the others out as they sailed
past on the long climb up to the Forest (that one, davek). Everyone
finished within a few minutes of each other, a great ride. Could you
confirm that the time bands allow 10% either way (or 5% if more than
15mph average)?

Old January 16th 06, 01:06 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling

Martin

Haven't come across 10% allowance on time bands in the events I've
ridden - as far as I'm aware, there are no strict rules for this area
that I've come across.

Unlike audaxes, reliability rides are generally organised by clubs as
early season fitness trials as much as anything else (hence there
aren't many in the Summer as far as I know), and 'the rules' are
generally at the discretion of the organiser. The British Cycling
guidelines I have are mainly concerned with prevention of large groups
forming on the road that would be an issue for highway safety /
inconvenience to motorists.

Old January 16th 06, 02:24 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling

MartinM wrote:

would have been fun if I had been riding in a group for more than 15
miles. I do like the idea of RT's, like audax but with less cake, but
they seem to be an after end of / before beginning of season thing
only.

They are mainly run by race clubs as early season training. If you
like the format, look at doing some sportif rides during the summer.

Arthur

--
Arthur Clune
Old January 16th 06, 08:56 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling

MartinM wrote:

Just ridden the only one I have ridden apart from out local one which
is decidedly pedestrian.

I would've joined you. If I weren't so damned unfit. I'm getting back into
the swing of things, though. Been out with VC Deal 3 times in as many weeks
(lordy, they're a fast club!) and even managed rides on Saturdays. Just
sorting out my Audaxes for the season now. I won't make the MJF as I'll be
fishing in Norway that weekend. I applied to ride a couple of perms at the
end of last season to bump up my AAA points, but never got round to riding
them. I should just about be ready for the hills by early-mid Feb so I'll
hopefully ride them then.

Old January 17th 06, 01:19 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling

Simon Bennett wrote:
MartinM wrote:

Just ridden the only one I have ridden apart from out local one which
is decidedly pedestrian.

I would've joined you. If I weren't so damned unfit. I'm getting back into
the swing of things, though. Been out with VC Deal 3 times in as many weeks
(lordy, they're a fast club!)

I had a look at their website, seem a bit competition orientated. If
you are into Audax best to wait until middle of March, see how many are
left not TT'ing. There seem of be an awful lot of RT's in that area.

Trials video - Thunderbird Park trials comp... andrew_carter Unicycling 5 August 21st 05 12:22 AM
Muni or Trials? CrazyUni Unicycling 19 August 3rd 05 10:11 AM
Trials or Street TrialsUni Unicycling 0 July 30th 05 09:07 PM
Trials Crank Lengths MuniTune Unicycling 2 July 13th 04 04:32 PM
Bike Trials Comp - Round 3... andrew_carter Unicycling 9 June 23rd 04 02:29 AM