Another pedestrian killed on the pavement

Old June 1st 07, 12:12 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
cupra

Default Another pedestrian killed on the pavement

Simon Brooke wrote:
in message , David Hansen
') wrote:

http://thescotsman.scotsman.com/index.cfm?id=855032007 indicates
that the little girl killed recently was walking along the pavement
with her mother.

No doubt the driver of the car was actually a cyclist in disguise.
After all motorists never drive on pavements, according to some,
only cyclists do this.

I suggest that this is off-topic here.

Yes, it's tragic. But pedestrians on the footway are killed in
Britain by drivers every single week, and we cannot discuss every one
of them; furthermore, no-one involved was cycling.

Absolutely agree.

Old June 1st 07, 12:14 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
David Hansen

On Fri, 1 Jun 2007 11:11:44 +0100 someone who may be "wafflycat"
wrote this:-

That's the running joke in this family. Whenever husband or I see a motorist
jump a red light, and there are *loads* in our neck of the woods - it's
endemic in Norwich - the saying is, "Look it's another cyclist in disguise."

Whenever I see one of the majority of cyclists stopping at a red
traffic light I do wonder if they are motorists in disguise. After
all we are told that cyclists never stop at red traffic lights.

--
David Hansen, Edinburgh
Old June 1st 07, 12:19 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
David Hansen

On Fri, 01 Jun 2007 11:50:58 +0100 someone who may be Simon Brooke
wrote this:-

I suggest that this is off-topic here.

Others disagree, as they have commented on it.

--
David Hansen, Edinburgh
Old June 1st 07, 12:27 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Jon

On 1 Jun, 11:44, Matt B wrote:

Do motorists there overtake queues of stationary traffic waiting at red
lights, specifically to jump the lights?

Matt B

They do this outside my workplace quite often. I see it 2 - 3 times a
week and as I am only rarely in rooms overlooking the junction I
presume it occurs many other times.

The junction is a crossroads with lights. The road approaching it past
our building has two lanes going towards the lights. Most traffic
turns right so the right lane often has a queue in it and the left
lane is often clear. The drivers under discussion go along the left
lane, pass the red light and move right to stop beyond the stop line
in front of the first vehicle stopped at the stop line in the right
lane. They then turn right when the light goes green, having bypassed
the queue.

Jon

Old June 1st 07, 12:34 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Marc Brett

On Fri, 01 Jun 2007 11:50:58 +0100, Simon Brooke
wrote:

I suggest that this is off-topic here.

Yes, it's tragic. But pedestrians on the footway are killed in Britain by
drivers every single week, and we cannot discuss every one of them;
furthermore, no-one involved was cycling.

Perp claims he swerved to avoid a boy who was cycling.

Old June 1st 07, 12:35 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Peter Clinch

wrote this:-

I suggest that this is off-topic here.

Others disagree, as they have commented on it.

Up to a point: I don't think commenting on something makes is
necessarily all it takes to become on-topic...

Pete.
--
Peter Clinch Medical Physics IT Officer
Fax 44 1382 640177 Dundee DD1 9SY Scotland UK
Old June 1st 07, 12:36 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Matt B

Jon wrote:
On 1 Jun, 11:44, Matt B wrote:
Do motorists there overtake queues of stationary traffic waiting at red
lights, specifically to jump the lights?

Matt B

They do this outside my workplace quite often. I see it 2 - 3 times a
week and as I am only rarely in rooms overlooking the junction I
presume it occurs many other times.

The junction is a crossroads with lights. The road approaching it past
our building has two lanes going towards the lights. Most traffic
turns right so the right lane often has a queue in it and the left
lane is often clear. The drivers under discussion go along the left
lane, pass the red light and move right to stop beyond the stop line
in front of the first vehicle stopped at the stop line in the right
lane. They then turn right when the light goes green, having bypassed
the queue.

Mmmm. So "technically" yes. But they don't actually do it to cross the
junction on red, so by "spirit", rather than "word", that doesn't really
count. ;-)

--
Matt B
Old June 1st 07, 04:21 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling

Tony Raven wrote:

spindrift wrote on 01/06/2007 10:02 +0100:

A van driver who knocked down a young girl as she walked to the shops
with her mother has been fined £1,000.

Demi-Leigh Hitchen, three, suffered fatal injuries when a van mounted
a pavement and clipped her on Livesey Branch Road, Blackburn, last
July.

Whereas if he'd taken her from a holiday apartment he would have had the
whole of Europe and the Pope trying to catch him and incarcerate him for
life.

be fair, perhaps Demi isn't white and blonde, or her family are lower
class and not senior front line health workers.

Anyway, If someone kidnapped one of my kids I would want someone to go
seriously Nazi on the kidnappers' ass

Anyone not offended yet?
igmc
james

Old June 1st 07, 10:39 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
p.k.

Matt B" "matt.bourke wrote:
wafflycat wrote:

"David Hansen" wrote in message
http://thescotsman.scotsman.com/index.cfm?id=855032007 indicates
that the little girl killed recently was walking along the pavement
with her mother.

No doubt the driver of the car was actually a cyclist in disguise.
After all motorists never drive on pavements, according to some,
only cyclists do this.

That's the running joke in this family. Whenever husband or I see a
motorist jump a red light, and there are *loads* in our neck of the
woods - it's endemic in Norwich - the saying is, "Look it's another
cyclist in disguise." :-(

Do motorists there overtake queues of stationary traffic waiting at
red lights, specifically to jump the lights?

Do they drive up to a light that has been red for a while, slow down
as they approach it, check to see that the way is clear, then proceed
to jump it?

Do they approach a red light at a pedestrian crossing and weave their way
through the people crossing?

pk

Pavement cyclist killed Tony Raven UK 1 November 4th 06 07:07 PM
OT - Pedestrian killed by cyclists in Hell Ride, Melbourne Shuggie UK 8 September 3rd 06 04:21 PM
Pedestrian killed by cyclist (BNE) and cyclist killed by car (MEL) Adrian Cook Australia 26 July 20th 06 03:55 AM
Another pedestrian killed by a motorist David Hansen UK 51 June 5th 06 08:58 PM
Anyone ever hit a pedestrian? greentyres UK 54 November 12th 04 07:52 PM