Why do drivers get away with attempted murder?

Old February 10th 16, 01:13 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Alycidon

Default Why do drivers get away with attempted murder?

QUOTE:
" Another week, another video that shows a driver intentionally targeting a cyclist and turning a moving car into a potentially deadly weapon.

This time, the footage comes from Nottingham. It shows an SUV following a cyclist down a road before knocking him off.

What crime do you think that driver should be charged with? Because I'm wondering if they should be charged with attempted murder.

Now, before you say I'm being ridiculous, let me ask: what do you think would be an appropriate charge if I intentionally hit an unprotected person with any other two tonne piece of machinery? If I, say, swung a wrecking ball at a bloke on a building site and struck him because he was in the way and was p***ing me off?

I'm sure the driver would say he only meant to scare the cyclist, who survived with serious injuries. But that argument hardly holds water. Cars are very good at hurting people.

Over 200,000 people were injured on UK roads in the 12 months to September 2014 and 1,800 were killed. Nearly all these deaths and injuries involved a motor vehicle. So, given all this, shouldn't we be viewing this incident like we might view firing a gun at someone and hitting them in the shoulder?"

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/men/recre...empted-murder/
Old February 10th 16, 01:33 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
MrCheerful

On 10/02/2016 12:13, Alycidon wrote:
QUOTE:

This time, the footage comes from Nottingham. It shows an SUV following a cyclist down a road before knocking him off.

What crime do you think that driver should be charged with? Because I'm wondering if they should be charged with attempted murder.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/men/recre...empted-murder/

As you know, the driver could not be identified, so no charges against
he or she could be brought, same as if you were kicked into a canal by
one of a bunch of cyclists, but could not say which one did it.

No clear perp. no charges can be brought
Old February 10th 16, 02:53 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Tom Crispin[_5_]

On Wednesday, February 10, 2016 at 12:33:26 PM UTC, MrCheerful wrote:
On 10/02/2016 12:13, Alycidon wrote:
QUOTE:

This time, the footage comes from Nottingham. It shows an SUV following a cyclist down a road before knocking him off.

What crime do you think that driver should be charged with? Because I'm wondering if they should be charged with attempted murder.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/men/recre...empted-murder/

As you know, the driver could not be identified, so no charges against
he or she could be brought, same as if you were kicked into a canal by
one of a bunch of cyclists, but could not say which one did it.

No clear perp. no charges can be brought

"bunch of cyclists" - wrong
"peloton" - correct
Old February 10th 16, 03:42 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
MrCheerful

On 10/02/2016 13:53, Tom Crispin wrote:
On Wednesday, February 10, 2016 at 12:33:26 PM UTC, MrCheerful wrote:
On 10/02/2016 12:13, Alycidon wrote:
QUOTE:

This time, the footage comes from Nottingham. It shows an SUV following a cyclist down a road before knocking him off.

What crime do you think that driver should be charged with? Because I'm wondering if they should be charged with attempted murder.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/men/recre...empted-murder/

As you know, the driver could not be identified, so no charges against
he or she could be brought, same as if you were kicked into a canal by
one of a bunch of cyclists, but could not say which one did it.

No clear perp. no charges can be brought

"bunch of cyclists" - wrong
"peloton" - correct

oh, were they racing?
Old February 11th 16, 11:15 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
John Smith[_7_]

Alycidon wrote:

" Another week, another video that shows a driver intentionally targeting
a cyclist and turning a moving car into a potentially deadly weapon.

The lesson is clear, and that is that cyclists can no longer rely on the
police and the courts to protect them.

It is time for the fightback to move to the next level.

--
john smith |MA (Hons)|MPhil (Hons)|CAPES (mention très bien)|LLB (Hons)
'It never gets any easier. You just get faster'
Old February 11th 16, 11:27 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Judith[_4_]

On Wed, 10 Feb 2016 05:53:55 -0800 (PST), Tom Crispin wrote:

On Wednesday, February 10, 2016 at 12:33:26 PM UTC, MrCheerful wrote:
On 10/02/2016 12:13, Alycidon wrote:
QUOTE:

This time, the footage comes from Nottingham. It shows an SUV following a cyclist down a road before knocking him off.

What crime do you think that driver should be charged with? Because I'm wondering if they should be charged with attempted murder.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/men/recre...empted-murder/

As you know, the driver could not be identified, so no charges against
he or she could be brought, same as if you were kicked into a canal by
one of a bunch of cyclists, but could not say which one did it.

No clear perp. no charges can be brought

"bunch of cyclists" - wrong
"peloton" - correct

I believe the term "bunch" for cyclists came originally from "bunch of grapes"
or piles.

ie - what they have hanging out of their arse due to saddle chafing.

Old February 12th 16, 10:42 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Peter Keller[_3_]

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/men/recre...hy-do-drivers-

get-away-with-attempted-murder/

As you know, the driver could not be identified, so no charges against
he or she could be brought, same as if you were kicked into a canal by
one of a bunch of cyclists, but could not say which one did it.

No clear perp. no charges can be brought

"bunch of cyclists" - wrong "peloton" - correct

I believe the term "bunch" for cyclists came originally from "bunch of
grapes"
or piles.

ie - what they have hanging out of their arse due to saddle chafing.

Which you show a peculiar attraction to.