Bike shops, rules, principles and law

Old January 22nd 21, 04:28 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Tom Kunich[_4_]

Default Bike shops, rules, principles and law

On Thursday, January 21, 2021 at 6:37:16 PM UTC-8, Frank Krygowski wrote:
On 1/21/2021 8:31 PM, Tom Kunich wrote:
On Thursday, January 21, 2021 at 9:11:16 AM UTC-8, Frank Krygowski wrote:
On 1/21/2021 12:53 AM, John B. wrote:
On Wed, 20 Jan 2021 21:06:20 -0800 (PST), Tom Kunich
wrote:
In case you are unaware of it, the standard farm is only 40 acres.

https://www.statista.com/statistics/...us-since-2000/
:-) It's like shooting fish in a barrel, isn't it?

If you had even a passing clue what you were talking about you would probably stop sucking Slocumb off. https://www.lodigrowers.com/wp-conte...012-census.jpg It should come as no surprise that a mechanical engineer who taught does even have a passing understanding of statistics.

OK,Tom, use that table and compute your estimate for the mean acreage of
a California farm, and of a U.S. farm. Tell us your answers and show
your work. I'm very curious how you get an answer of 40 acres.

I am far more interested on why you change the subject when you are shown just how full of ****ing **** you are - when 70% of farms are under 179 acres and when that 179 acres probably represents 1 or 2 farms and when MOST of the farms are probably 10 acres or under, you have been shown as the fool you and Slocumb are.
Old January 22nd 21, 04:33 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Tom Kunich[_4_]

On Thursday, January 21, 2021 at 8:32:54 PM UTC-8, wrote:

wrote:
In case you are unaware of it, the standard farm is only 40 acres.

https://www.statista.com/statistics/...us-since-2000/
:-) It's like shooting fish in a barrel, isn't it?

https://www.lodigrowers.com/wp-conte...012-census.jpg

It might help to use slightly later data. From the US Farm Census for
2017[1]:
https://www.nass.usda.gov/Publications/AgCensus/2017/Full_Report/Volume_1,_Chapter_1_US/st99_1_0001_0001.pdf
Dividing 900,217,576 acres of farmland, by 2,042,220 farms, I get an
average of 441 acres per farm. Yet, you stated in a previous message:
"In case you are unaware of it, the standard farm is only 40 acres"
I'm not aware of it so I would like to know where you found or how you
calculated a number that is off by a factor of 10.

More pubs and sources for US Farm Census:
https://www.nass.usda.gov/AgCensus/index.php
https://www.nass.usda.gov/Publications/AgCensus/2017/Full_Report/Volume_1,_Chapter_1_US/

[1] Nothing later seems to be available after the election of what's
his name in 2016.

Is there some reason you find it necessary to be consciously aware that most of the corn and soybean farms in the great plains are owned by a single company and comprise 100,000 acres or more which offsets that "average farm size" to make that preposterous number of 443 acres per farm? Why don't you go over to Half Moon Bay and tell them that the farmers have 443 acre farms? I suppose the question is: why did you posting when you should have known totally different when Santa Cruz county is filled with 3 acre Christmas Tree farms?
Old January 22nd 21, 04:42 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Tom Kunich[_4_]

On Thursday, January 21, 2021 at 1:16:10 AM UTC-8, Rolf Mantel wrote:
Am 21.01.2021 um 06:57 schrieb News 2021:
But Russel is right, those city 'market farmers' are really just
'shopkeepers' who buy their 'produce' from the big produce markets.

Even this is different in other parts of the world. In Heidelberg, I
know of three "fruit and vegetable farmers" who each both farm and have
a permanent farm shop selling their produce (plus the produce of another
10 or 20 regional vegetable farmers). The big produce market prices are
so bad these days (thanks to the bundled purcahsing power of the big
supermarket chains) that direct marketing of your own produce (or
running a farmers' co-operative for selling) is a meaningful business in
Germany.

Old January 22nd 21, 04:57 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Frank Krygowski[_4_]

wrote:
[...]

Good grief, get a grip! I'm just asking you to explain yourself! You
said a standard farm is 40 acres. But to justify that you posted a table
saying the average farm is 434 acres.

Your own table said nothing about 40 acres. So how did you get that
number? Show us your work. If you can't, you should admit you just made
up your number.

--
- Frank Krygowski
Old January 22nd 21, 05:30 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Tom Kunich[_4_]

wrote:
[...]

Continue your detachment from reality. It is entertaining.
Old January 22nd 21, 06:23 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Joy Beeson

On Thu, 21 Jan 2021 10:09:17 +0100, Rolf Mantel
wrote:

Only in the midwest USA,
farmers are defined to be "someone who grows corn or soybeans on
hundreds/thousands of acres".

I used to pass tomato farms on my way to see my sister in central
Indiana. I rather suspect that they are clustered around the Red Gold
cannery not too far east and south of her place.

I was quite shocked to see the tomatoes harvested by combine and
shipped in dump trucks. My sister once saw a tomato fall off such a
load -- and bounce.

A proper tomato would splat when dropped from a much smaller height.

My farmer does farm hundreds, if not thousands of acres. I don't
recall seeing anything but beans and corn on my forty, but I didn't
get down that way very many times before I sold him that corner of one
of his fields. It had to be a special trip, since my sister lived on
the other side of the county, and it's far enough to take the whole
day.

There are truck gardens in this county. I've visited two of them. One
was simply not there one spring. The other appears to have been done
in by Covid. The ones that sell at the fairgrounds market are still
there -- all two of them -- and there were the usual number of booths
at the courthouse market, but it was only once safe for me to go in
and buy something, so I'm not sure who survived.

--
joy beeson at centurylink dot net
http://wlweather.net/PAGESEW/

Old January 22nd 21, 07:02 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Ted Heise

wrote:

Only in the midwest USA, farmers are defined to be "someone
who grows corn or soybeans on hundreds/thousands of acres".

I used to pass tomato farms on my way to see my sister in
central Indiana. I rather suspect that they are clustered
around the Red Gold cannery not too far east and south of her
place.

I was quite shocked to see the tomatoes harvested by combine
and shipped in dump trucks. My sister once saw a tomato fall
off such a load -- and bounce.

A proper tomato would splat when dropped from a much smaller
height.

Interesting story, Joy. As it happens, my wife and encountered a
couple large fields of tomatos out on a tandem ride in Tippecanoe
county this past summer. I had not seen anything like that around
here before in many tens of thousands miles ridden. Before we
were close enough to see what was being grown, I was thinking,
"What in the world is that smell?" Very familiar, but I couldn't
place it. Weird.

--
Ted Heise West Lafayette, IN, USA
Old January 22nd 21, 07:42 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Jeff Liebermann

wrote:
[...]

Nice commentary. Now, back to my question. Where did you find the 40
acres number or how did you calculate it? Quoting your previous
statement again:
"In case you are unaware of it, the standard farm is only 40 acres"

I don't care where you think an easily calculated value of 443 acre
average farm size is right, wrong, slanted, tweaked, misleading, or
absurd. I want to know where you found or contrived the 40 acres
number. In case it's not obvious to you by now, I don't trust your
numbers.

By the way, what is a "standard farm"? Is that where they grow
standards?

I suppose the
question is: why did you posting when you should have known totally
different when Santa Cruz county is filled with 3 acre Christmas
Tree farms?

What do Christmas tree farms have to do with your statement that "the
standard farm is only 40 acres"? Nice try to divert the discussion to
Christmas tree farms.

--
Jeff Liebermann
PO Box 272
Old January 22nd 21, 07:51 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
JBeattie

wrote:

[...]

You can do the same thing with the strawberry fields in Watsonville, Ca. It's like riding through a jar of jam. I get the same jam-jar experience riding through blackberry fields here in Oregon.

There are some fragrant crops out there. https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/16...g?v=1533238954

Hood River Valley is like a smell-a-thon with the lavender and fruit trees. Take the train! https://www.mthoodrr.com/train-rides...ossom-special/

One thing I miss about California is the smell of bay trees and eucalyptus. Fir and ferns don't have much of a smell. The only thing I remember about riding through vast acres of corn in Kansas were the bird-sized grasshopper/locust. No memorable smell, but maybe on a warm day is smells like corn..

-- Jay Beattie.

Old January 22nd 21, 07:53 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Jeff Liebermann

wrote:

I was quite shocked to see the tomatoes harvested by combine and
shipped in dump trucks. My sister once saw a tomato fall off such a
load -- and bounce.

A proper tomato would splat when dropped from a much smaller height.

I'm partial to Roma tomatoes, which are harder than common spherical
supermarket tomatoes. Roma tomatoes last longer in the fridge and in
my opinion, taste much better. I haven't tried it, but I suspect they
might bounce when dropped due to the rather thick rind.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Roma_tomato
https://www.google.com/search?q=Roma+tomato&tbm=isch

Why supermarket tomatoes are so tasteless and how science plans to fix
it
https://www.chatelaine.com/food/trends/tomatoes-taste-florida-research/