Servicing RSX shifters?

Old June 23rd 06, 08:46 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling

Default Servicing RSX shifters?

Does anyone have any clues for servicing RSX shifters? Occasionally I
have a to try a few times when shifting to a smaller cog on my road
bike. This tends to happen first thing in the morning, once it's
working it's fine, which makes me think it just needs a blast with an
air line and some relubrication. I'm guessing this thing is fully of
tiny screw and springs though so I'm not gonna go investigating just
yet ;o)

Chris
--
Chris Eilbeck
Old June 23rd 06, 09:06 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling

"Chris Eilbeck" wrote in message
Does anyone have any clues for servicing RSX shifters? Occasionally I
have a to try a few times when shifting to a smaller cog on my road
bike. This tends to happen first thing in the morning, once it's
working it's fine, which makes me think it just needs a blast with an
air line and some relubrication. I'm guessing this thing is fully of
tiny screw and springs though so I'm not gonna go investigating just
yet ;o)

That's how the demise of my RSX front shifter began. A blast with an
airline, then a good wash out with WD40 would cure it for a few weeks until
the problem reappeared. I eentually sourced a new one off the US ebay site
and have had no problems since. Once the new one was installed I attempted
to dismantle the old one. Unless you are very mechanically able, don't
bother!
Bill

Old June 23rd 06, 09:23 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling

"Bill" writes:

"Chris Eilbeck" wrote in message
Does anyone have any clues for servicing RSX shifters? Occasionally I
have a to try a few times when shifting to a smaller cog on my road
bike. This tends to happen first thing in the morning, once it's
working it's fine, which makes me think it just needs a blast with an
air line and some relubrication. I'm guessing this thing is fully of
tiny screw and springs though so I'm not gonna go investigating just
yet ;o)

That's how the demise of my RSX front shifter began. A blast with
an airline, then a good wash out with WD40 would cure it for a few
weeks until the problem reappeared. I eentually sourced a new one
off the US ebay site and have had no problems since. Once the new
one was installed I attempted to dismantle the old one. Unless you
are very mechanically able, don't bother!

Can't seem to find any instructions or servicing manuals anywhere so
sod it, they can stay as they are.

Chris
--
Chris Eilbeck
Old June 23rd 06, 09:42 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling

Chris Eilbeck wrote:
"Bill" writes:

[...]

Not familiar with RSX. Are they the ratchet STI type? If so, I
wouldn't even bother taking them apart.

My STX shifter broke, and could only grab 2 of the 3 positions, so did
the easy thing and sourced a new leftover stock one. Took it apart out
of curiosity and decided instantly that it was not user servicable.

I've never had any luck finding any Shimano manuals for non-current stuff.

--
AndyM
Old June 23rd 06, 10:00 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling

Andy M wrote:

Not familiar with RSX. Are they the ratchet STI type? If so, I
wouldn't even bother taking them apart.

there were 2 types of LH shifter, a ratchet and a 3 position; I have
the latter. The only 7 spd replacement for them is Sora which is a
shame as they are greatly inferior. Ebay occasionally throws them up
(and just one side it you're lucky)