Help underprivileged children get there first bike

Old December 15th 05, 02:55 AM posted to rec.bicycles.rides

Default Help underprivileged children get there first bike

Who doesn't remember their first bike? What's the magic? Why the intense
universal desire to have your own bike? Is it the world beyond your own
front yard discovered or perhaps it's because you get to go really fast, all
on your own, controlled by only you? A bike is a rite of passage for a child
and beyond the fun, the smile and the wind in your hair, a bike provides
many things:
a.. Teaches balance, strength and coordination.
b.. Encourages independence with responsibility.
c.. Provides a practical means of transportation.
d.. Benefits health at a time when juvenile Type II Diabetes and obesity
are on the rise.
e.. Boosts self esteem through a sense of skill mastery.
f.. Increases socialization with others who share a love for the outdoors
and provides opportunities for learning about nature.
g.. Stirs the imagination.
h.. Puts high risk children in contact with other children engaged in
productive, healthy activities.
See us on the web at and find out how you can help:
http://www.turningwheelsforkids.org
We are a nonprofit charity that is raising money to buy bike for under
privileged children.

Old December 15th 05, 09:39 PM posted to rec.bicycles.rides

Derek wrote:
[...]

we heard you the first time you posted
Old December 16th 05, 04:40 AM posted to rec.bicycles.rides

I didn't mean to bug you, I have been posting to many news servers and did
realize that different servers would list the same groups.

I am just trying to get the word out and help as many children realize the
joy of riding a bike.

Derek

"Dori" wrote in message
.. .

Old December 17th 05, 09:27 PM posted to rec.bicycles.rides

"Dori" wrote in message
.. .

we heard you the first time you posted

Plus, he misspelled "their", over and over again. Argh.

Further, Derek provides with ZERO reason to support his cause vs. any local
one that also assists kids with getting bikes. Personally, my money would to
http://www.bikeworks.org/ long before it'd go to an internet spammer.

Finally, consensus over at rec.bicycles.misc is that it isn't your first
bike you remember -- that was something you simply learned on. It was your
second bike that was your transportation machine, your ticket around and out
of the neighborhood.

--
Warm Regards,

Claire Petersky
See the books I've set free at:

Old December 21st 05, 09:08 PM posted to rec.bicycles.rides

Claire if you have a program in your community that can help children
experience the excitement of riding and owning a bike I would encourage you
to donate or participate in it.

I just think I'm involved in this great program, and we need all the help we
can get. As members of the cycling community, you know how much riding has
improved your life. But a lot of kids grow up without the resources to get
their own bikes. You're talking about your first bike not being as special
as the second one, but most, if not all the kids that we help can't afford a
bicycle in the first place so the one that we give them might be the only
one they ever get.

I am just asking that you not be so quick to criticize and just try to give
a little this time of year.

Derek

"Claire Petersky" wrote in message
ink.net...
.. .

Old December 22nd 05, 12:57 AM posted to rec.bicycles.rides

"Derek" wrote in message

I just think I'm involved in this great program, and we need all the help
we can get.

I've been involved in all sorts of nonprofit organizations that I've been
enthusiastic about, too. But please:

o don't post in every cycling newsgroup;
o don't post with a grammatical error in each one;
o don't top post a reply, with no trimming

It's just not polite, and it doesn't help your cause.

--
Warm Regards,

Claire Petersky
See the books I've set free at:

Old December 22nd 05, 03:25 AM posted to rec.bicycles.rides

o don't top post a reply, with no trimming

Claire, could you clarify as to what this means? I appreciate your
suggestions on posting in newsgroups, I am a novice and totally unfamiliar
in this territory.

Like I said, I am only trying to get the word out for the kids. We just try
to do good things for kids, and you'll have to pardon me if I'm not an
authority on what is or isn't polite to post.

And if I'm not helping my cause, feel free to do so yourself by donating!

Regards,
Derek

"Claire Petersky" wrote in message
k.net...

Old December 22nd 05, 05:26 AM posted to rec.bicycles.rides

"Derek" wrote in message
. net...
o don't top post a reply, with no trimming

Claire, could you clarify as to what this means? I appreciate your
suggestions on posting in newsgroups, I am a novice and totally unfamiliar
in this territory.

Certainly, and thank you for not taking offense. We were all newbies once.

First, trimming. Generally speaking, you don't requote the entirety of
someone else's post. Your most recent post was 43 lines long. Only 12 of it
was new material; the rest was a requote of what I quoted of yours, and the
entirety of what I said, including a signature file. Most of it could have
been edited out.

Many people consider requoting previous posts in their entirety to be rude.
It is annoying to scroll through a long post, looking for the other person's
comments, only to have a single line or two stuck somewhere. It's even worse
if the reader is using some web-based services as a newsreader, as that
person may have to hit the "see more of the post link" to view the entire
thing, which interrupts the flow of reading. Also, believe it or not, there
are still some folks out there using dial-up and other narrow-band means of
internet access, (especially newsgroups, as they are text-based), and you've
forced them to use up a lot of their bandwidth for what is in essence,
irrelevant.

At the same time, you want to quote the relevant material in others' posts
so readers have a way of following the discussion, and know to what you are
referring in your own post. Otherwise, your readers are lost.

Second, there are three ways to respond to posts: you can top-post, which
means that you put all of what you have to say at the very top of the post.
Or you can bottom-post, where you put what you have to say at the bottom.
Or, you can intersperse your comments with that you are quoting.

The users of most newsgroups do not like top-posting. The flow of newsgroup
posts is like a conversation -- you want the thing that were said first to
be first, at the top, and the comment that followed that to be next, and so
on. Top-posting reverses that sensible order.

Bottom posting is fine when there is just one point you are making. I've
basically trimmed and bottom-posted here in this message.

Interspersing comments make the most sense when there are several comments
to be made, especially when more than one poster participates. The post may
look like this:

[Person A's first statement]

[Person B asks a question about that statement]

[Person C gives her own opinion about A's statement, answers B's question]

[Person A's second statement]

[Person B clarifies that statement, adds her own opinion]

[Person C tells B to boil her head, agrees with what A was trying to say in
the first place]

[Person A's third statement]

[Person B disagrees violently]

[Person C tries to clarify A's point, partially disagrees with B]

Can you see what top- or bottom-posting is inadequate in this situation? You
wouldn't know which comment by B or C would go to what A said. Interspersing
the replies maintains the continuity and flow of the conversation.

Even more may be found at the following link:
http://www.newsreaders.com/guide/netiquette.html

If you fail to follow usenet conventions, you may find yourself killfiled.
And then you'll miss out on the interaction that is the lifeblood of
newsgroups.

Please feel welcome on here and the rest of the rec.bicycles hierarchy.

--
Warm Regards,

Claire Petersky
See the books I've set free at: