Stronglight double to single

Old May 2nd 06, 05:09 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling

Default Stronglight double to single

Hi

I've got an old Stronglight chainset that I'd like to convert to a
single ring for a fixed gear project. I've no idea what model it is and
I don't have it with me to look, but it has two rings and the big ring
has lots of little holes drilled in it beneath the teeth, presumably to
save weight. It looks like this:

http://www.velostuf.com/stronglight99x31.jpg

It doesn't have a "normal" spider and bolt like 5-arm Campag or Shimano
sets, but does (IIRC) have some bolts quite close to the centre of the
chainset, like the picture shows.

Anyone have any idea a) what sort of chainset it might be, and b)
whether I can get a single ring for it?

Cheers,

Mark
Old May 2nd 06, 05:16 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling

Mark wrote:
Hi

snip
Anyone have any idea a) what sort of chainset it might be, and b)
whether I can get a single ring for it?

Cheers,

Mark

a) no idea.
b) You've got one - use the middle ring (somewhere between 36t-42t),
with shorter stack bolts. You can use the middle or outer positions to
get the best chainline.

You could use the large ring (46t-53t?) with a larger rear cog if you
wanted, you just need to figure out what final ratio you want, what
cogs are available, and therefore which of the two front rings will get
you closest to the ratio with one of the available cogs.

If this is a track chain v. road chain issue, rear cogs are available
to suit either chain, so there's no absolute need to change the
chainring.

....or is there somthing obvious I'm missing? Wouldn't be the first
time.

hth

bookieb.

Old May 2nd 06, 05:19 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling

Mark wrote:
Hi

I've got an old Stronglight chainset that I'd like to convert to a
single ring for a fixed gear project. I've no idea what model it is and
I don't have it with me to look, but it has two rings and the big ring
has lots of little holes drilled in it beneath the teeth, presumably to
save weight. It looks like this:

http://www.velostuf.com/stronglight99x31.jpg

It doesn't have a "normal" spider and bolt like 5-arm Campag or Shimano
sets, but does (IIRC) have some bolts quite close to the centre of the
chainset, like the picture shows.

Anyone have any idea a) what sort of chainset it might be, and b)
whether I can get a single ring for it?

Cheers,

Mark

Looks like a Stronglight 99 or similar, with the obsolete 5 x 86mm
boltcircle. You could use the chainrings you have (with shorter
chainwheelbolts) but finding other rings will be a challenge

--
---
Marten Gerritsen

INFOapestaartjeM-GINEERINGpuntNL
www.m-gineering.nl
Old May 2nd 06, 05:41 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling

On 2006-05-02, bookieb wrote:

Mark wrote:
Anyone have any idea a) what sort of chainset it might be, and b)
whether I can get a single ring for it?

a) no idea.
b) You've got one - use the middle ring (somewhere between 36t-42t),
with shorter stack bolts. You can use the middle or outer positions
to get the best chainline.

You could use the large ring (46t-53t?) with a larger rear cog if you
wanted, you just need to figure out what final ratio you want, what
cogs are available, and therefore which of the two front rings will
get you closest to the ratio with one of the available cogs.

Oh, yes. Forgot to mention: it looks like both the rings are one
inseperable piece (which itself may come off of the cranks) so I can't
just mount the inner on the outer, so to speak.

If this is a track chain v. road chain issue, rear cogs are available
to suit either chain, so there's no absolute need to change the
chainring.

Nope, not too fussed about that.

Cheers,

Mark
Old May 2nd 06, 05:56 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling

Mark wrote:
Hi

I've got an old Stronglight chainset that I'd like to convert to a
single ring for a fixed gear project. I've no idea what model it is and
I don't have it with me to look, but it has two rings and the big ring
has lots of little holes drilled in it beneath the teeth, presumably to
save weight. It looks like this:

http://www.velostuf.com/stronglight99x31.jpg

Well, that's a picture of a Stronglight Model 99bis, according to this:
http://www.velostuf.com/gallery.htm
But is that your chainset, because that is a triple and you say you've
got a double.

It doesn't have a "normal" spider and bolt like 5-arm Campag or Shimano
sets, but does (IIRC) have some bolts quite close to the centre of the
chainset, like the picture shows.

Anyone have any idea a) what sort of chainset it might be, and b)
whether I can get a single ring for it?

a) mentioned above.
b) as mentioned by bookieb, you've already got two, unless they are too
worn or you just want a shinier or lighter one. If so, talk to Spa
Cycles who seem to have knowledge and stock of Stronglight chainrings.
I'm not sure I've ever seen a chainset too worn for use on a fixed gear
bike, though.

JimP

--
Let's think the unthinkable, let's do the undoable, let's prepare to
grapple with the ineffable itself, and see if we may not eff it after
Old May 2nd 06, 06:01 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling

"M-gineering" wrote:

Looks like a Stronglight 99 or similar, with the obsolete 5 x 86mm
boltcircle. You could use the chainrings you have (with shorter
chainwheelbolts) but finding other rings will be a challenge

Let's be charitable and call it obsolescent. Settle Cycles and Spa Cycles
still carry a range of rings:

http://www.spacycles.co.uk/products.php?plid=m2b0s149p0

http://www.settlecycles.co.uk/shop/o...id=196&pid=711

But from the further description "Mark" gives, I'm not convinced that he
doesn't have a 49D or similar crankset with a 50.4mm primary circle, in
which case TA Cyclotourist rings, also from Spa, would be just the ticket:

http://www.spacycles.co.uk/products.php?plid=m2b0s148p0

James Thomson

Old May 2nd 06, 06:04 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling

M-gineering wrote:
Mark wrote:

Anyone have any idea a) what sort of chainset it might be, and b)
whether I can get a single ring for it?

Looks like a Stronglight 99 or similar, with the obsolete 5 x 86mm
boltcircle. You could use the chainrings you have (with shorter
chainwheelbolts) but finding other rings will be a challenge

Spa Cycles, frequently recommended in this parish, are your
friends. Or at least they were my friends a few weeks ago: a
whole range of 86mm BCD rings at very reasonable prices.

Worth phoning - they've got more stock than the website
suggests.

John

Old May 2nd 06, 06:04 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling

Mark wrote:
Oh, yes. Forgot to mention: it looks like both the rings are one
inseperable piece (which itself may come off of the cranks) so I can't
just mount the inner on the outer, so to speak.

angle grinder
Inseparable???
/angle grinder

JimP

Old May 2nd 06, 06:22 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling

"Jim Price" wrote:

Well, that's a picture of a Stronglight Model 99bis, according to this:
http://www.velostuf.com/gallery.htm
But is that your chainset, because that is a triple and you say you've
got a double.

86mm bcd doubles and triples use the same cranks. The triple has the granny
ring spaced out on long stack bolts on the same bolt circle.

James Thomson

Old May 2nd 06, 06:49 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling

Jim Price wrote:

angle grinder

Is someone playing my tune?

...d

FS: Single Speed Crank and Freewheel Dawgwalker Marketplace 0 September 14th 05 10:40 PM
Todays ride (which GPS?) ... elyob UK 26 August 1st 05 02:02 PM
Double vs. Compact Wasatch5k Techniques 24 November 11th 04 03:14 PM
lacking in leg strength and stamina exercises? Yuri Budilov General 18 March 23rd 04 03:42 PM
110 bcd double crankset James Bondra Techniques 11 August 1st 03 01:46 PM