Rear Derailleurs

Old January 13th 07, 02:39 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Great Eastern

Default Rear Derailleurs

I currently have a rear derailleur on my bike which is screwed to the
frame, and then has the space for the rear axle just like the one shown
in the pic (although mine is a Shimano one):
http://ec3.images-amazon.com/images/...CLZZZZZZZ_.gif

Looking at new ones, as shown
(http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/M...?ModelID=11969) they
attach differently....I assume then this style has replaced the old type
its not possible to fit these new ones??
Old January 13th 07, 02:50 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Tony Raven

Great Eastern wrote on 13/01/2007 14:39 +0100:
I currently have a rear derailleur on my bike which is screwed to the
frame, and then has the space for the rear axle just like the one
shown in the pic (although mine is a Shimano one):
http://ec3.images-amazon.com/images/...CLZZZZZZZ_.gif

Looking at new ones, as shown
(http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/M...?ModelID=11969) they
attach differently....I assume then this style has replaced the old
type its not possible to fit these new ones??

The one you have is the silver metal plate called a hanger and the
derailleur screwed into it. It looks like your's has a cover over the
allen bolt which screws the two together and you should be able to
remove that and unscrew it from the hanger and screw the new one in its
place. What you remove will look like the chain reaction link picture
and the allen bolt is that round hole on the top left. The hanger bit
on its own will look a bit like one of these:
http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/S...hanger&x=0&y=0

--
Tony

"...has many omissions and contains much that is apocryphal, or at least
wildly inaccurate..."
Douglas Adams; The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy
Old January 13th 07, 03:10 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Rob Morley

In article , Great Eastern
says...
I currently have a rear derailleur on my bike which is screwed to the
frame, and then has the space for the rear axle just like the one shown
in the pic (although mine is a Shimano one):
http://ec3.images-amazon.com/images/...CLZZZZZZZ_.gif

Looking at new ones, as shown
(http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/M...?ModelID=11969) they
attach differently....I assume then this style has replaced the old type
its not possible to fit these new ones??

The ones with the integral bracket are el cheapo - both types have been
available for a long time. If the bracket on your mech isn't removable
you can get a separate one that will allow the fitting of a better mech
to your frame.
Old January 13th 07, 06:39 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Nigel Cliffe

Rob Morley wrote:
In article , Great Eastern
says...
I currently have a rear derailleur on my bike which is screwed to the
frame, and then has the space for the rear axle just like the one
shown in the pic (although mine is a Shimano one):
http://ec3.images-amazon.com/images/...CLZZZZZZZ_.gif

Looking at new ones, as shown
(http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/M...?ModelID=11969) they
attach differently....I assume then this style has replaced the old
type its not possible to fit these new ones??

The ones with the integral bracket are el cheapo - both types have
been available for a long time. If the bracket on your mech isn't
removable you can get a separate one that will allow the fitting of a
better mech to your frame.

Or those with the bracket are ancient.

I have an 1980's one with a removable bracket (Shimano), supplied with the
bracket.
The usual (modern) fitting allen screw removes the mechanism from the
bracket.

Off topic link for the OP:
http://www.nigelcliffe.photobook.org.uk/c310576.html

--
Nigel Cliffe,
Webmaster at http://www.2mm.org.uk/

Old January 13th 07, 07:26 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Simon Brooke

in message , Great Eastern
') wrote:

I currently have a rear derailleur on my bike which is screwed to the
frame, and then has the space for the rear axle just like the one shown
in the pic (although mine is a Shimano one):

http://ec3.images-amazon.com/images/...CLZZZZZZZ_.gif

Used to be common in the 1960s, now only on the very cheapest derailleurs.

Looking at new ones, as shown
(http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/M...?ModelID=11969)

Now almost universal.

they
attach differently....I assume then this style has replaced the old type
its not possible to fit these new ones??

It isn't as bad as that. What's changed is that the derailleur hanger (the
hooky bit at the top of the first picture) is now normally part of the
frame (or else is a special fitting to the frame). This helps to make the
alignment more precise. But the old style hook-on-the-axle hangers still
work, and if you unbolt the one from your old derailleur you will almost
certainly find that your new derailleur will bolt straight onto it.

;; Life would be much easier if I had the source code.

Old January 13th 07, 08:20 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Pete Biggs

In case you can't unbolt the hanger from rest of mech, you can buy another
one separately:

http://www.sjscycles.co.uk/product-0...g-bolt-420.htm

~PB

Old January 13th 07, 09:31 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Great Eastern

Simon Brooke wrote:
It isn't as bad as that. What's changed is that the derailleur hanger (the
hooky bit at the top of the first picture) is now normally part of the
frame (or else is a special fitting to the frame). This helps to make the
alignment more precise. But the old style hook-on-the-axle hangers still
work, and if you unbolt the one from your old derailleur you will almost
certainly find that your new derailleur will bolt straight onto it.

Thanks to everyone for the replies, I can see what you mean now
regarding the parts, however I doubt I'm going to find a replacement
which is suitable for a 6 speed!
Old January 13th 07, 10:02 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Great Eastern

Great Eastern wrote:
Thanks to everyone for the replies, I can see what you mean now
regarding the parts, however I doubt I'm going to find a replacement
which is suitable for a 6 speed!

I know that one shouldn't follow up on ones own posts but...

....I've just realised, it doesn't matter does it. an 8 or 9 speed
deraileur will work on 6 no fuss...its if I were trying to do the
opposite I'd have problems.