Aligning chain on triple front chainring and 9 gear rear cluster.

Old August 11th 03, 05:04 AM
Peter

Default Aligning chain on triple front chainring and 9 gear rear cluster.

I am wondering if I have set up my drivetrain properly. I have
positioned the front triple crankset so that the middle chainring is
alligned with the 5th (that is the middle cog) on the cassette. Is
this the proper way to set up the drive train? Also I noticed today
that I get a clicking sound when in the middle chainring and smallest
cog. Any idea as to what might be causing it. Thanks in advance as
always.
Old August 11th 03, 09:21 AM
Nick Payne

According to Barnett's Manual you've done it right. See
http://rideitbent.net/pdf/barnetts_ch27.pdf.

However, for a touring bike I view the smallest chainring as something to be
used only with the 3 or 4 largest cogs at the rear, and align the two larger
chainrings as if they were a double, with the midpoint between the two large
chainrings centred on the cassette.

Nick

om...

Old August 11th 03, 01:38 PM
Qui si parla Campagnolo

Peter- I am wondering if I have set up my drivetrain properly. I have
positioned the front triple crankset so that the middle chainring is
alligned with the 5th (that is the middle cog) on the cassette. Is
this the proper way to set up the drive train? BRBR

That is correct...

Also I noticed today
that I get a clicking sound when in the middle chainring and smallest
cog. Any idea as to what might be causing it. BRBR

Chain 'tickling' big ring??

Peter Chisholm
Vecchio's Bicicletteria
1833 Pearl St.
Boulder, CO, 80302
(303)440-3535
http://www.vecchios.com
Old August 11th 03, 01:41 PM
Qui si parla Campagnolo

someone- However, for a touring bike I view the smallest chainring as
something to be
used only with the 3 or 4 largest cogs at the rear, and align the two larger
chainrings as if they were a double, with the midpoint between the two large
chainrings centred on the cassette. BRBR

Don't agree..,I think on any triple, you ought to align the middle ring with
the middle of the cogset to allow use of the middle ring with all the cogs. If
you align the middle of the cogset with mid point between the big and middle,
middle/smallest cog use may be limited.

Peter Chisholm
Vecchio's Bicicletteria
1833 Pearl St.