Anyone ride through the 1st Ave tunnel by the UN?

Old November 7th 07, 10:53 PM posted to nyc.bicycles,rec.bicycles.misc
Prisoner at War

Default Anyone ride through the 1st Ave tunnel by the UN?

On Nov 6, 8:16 am, dgk wrote:
For two years I've been going by the UN, but when the UN was in
session a few weeks ago I went through the tunnel. I rode the right
(eastern) tube. Very fast, mostly because I was scared ****less of
being hit from behind by a car.

I don't know why people are so afraid of that. I suspect most car-
bicyclist problems do not occur from behind, odd as it might sound....

I keep my blinkies on and go through after the light has turned red
behind the tunnel, hoping that there won't be any cars when I'm in
there. Near the end it widens and then it's ok.

It's a fun ride; the key is to catch the traffic lights just so (doing
it on the weekends helps, too, particularly early morning time) and
jet downhill and use that momentum to keep pedaling. So do not
attempt unless you will ride fast, at like ~20 mph. Otherwise, what's
the point? You'll just be a speed bump for cars. =)

Unfortunately, there's a big ol' hill right outside the entrance...but
if you'd gone through the street above ("UN Way" or something), you
could jet down the small decline right before that hill (being sure,
once again, to catch the lights just so) and go up a good 85% of it
for "free"....

Old November 8th 07, 08:57 PM posted to nyc.bicycles,rec.bicycles.misc,alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent
Prisoner at War

On 2007-11-08, dgk wrote:

On 08 Nov 2007 00:53:50 GMT, Eric Schweitzer
wrote:
Just a data point ... I've been riding in NYC for near 30 years, and
have been hit 6 times, 5 from behind (all during the day). 4 of those
times while stopped at a red light. Once by a cop. (I've learned to
look BEHIND while slowing for a light.)

The statistics are in. Ride at night. I think I am safer at night. I
have so many lights that driver slow down just to see what it is.

You're waiting at a light and got hit from behind four times? Someone
definitely stuck a "hit me" sign on your back.

That's another reason I never wait at lights.

Both the cop and a cab driver said "but why did you stop, you're a
bicycle". Seems expectations carry more weight than laws or common
sense. I'm supposed to ride through heavy cross-street traffic?
(The cop hit was on Lex at 72d, that cabbie on Third at 86th).

Wow, that's definitely one for the grand-kids!

I figured that getting hit from behind can't be as common as getting
hit from the side because drivers usually look ahead! The few times
I've gotten hit -- tapped, really -- was from the side, like drivers
trying to cut me off and such.

It's amazing we have such different experiences...I guess New York
really does have fourteen million different stories!

Old November 9th 07, 03:05 PM posted to nyc.bicycles,rec.bicycles.misc,alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent
dgk

wrote:
[...]

Really, that's pretty funny. I guess we're really not supposed to stop
for lights.
Old November 9th 07, 03:39 PM posted to nyc.bicycles,rec.bicycles.misc,alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent
Prisoner at War

On Nov 9, 9:05 am, dgk wrote:

Really, that's pretty funny. I guess we're really not supposed to stop
for lights.

People are just like George Bush: grasp at any straw for an excuse.
I'm not surprised even cops proffered such idiocy: I've had motorists
tell me I'm supposed to be on the sidewalk and pedestrians tell me I'm
supposed to be on the street!

**** that. I'm a bicyclist; I go where I want.

Old November 9th 07, 06:31 PM posted to nyc.bicycles,rec.bicycles.misc,alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent
Edward Dolan

"Prisoner at War" wrote in message
oups.com...
On Nov 9, 9:05 am, dgk wrote:

Really, that's pretty funny. I guess we're really not supposed to stop
for lights.

People are just like George Bush: grasp at any straw for an excuse.
I'm not surprised even cops proffered such idiocy: I've had motorists
tell me I'm supposed to be on the sidewalk and pedestrians tell me I'm
supposed to be on the street!

**** that. I'm a bicyclist; I go where I want.

If you are riding in the lanes with motor vehicles in NYC it is just a
matter of time until you are hit. Ride in the street yes, but stay out of
the way of motor vehicles. In other words, get as far to the right as you
can, even if it means you are right next to the curb. Elementary, my dear
Watson!

On the other hand, if you are Bush hater like all the rest of the loony
left, then the sooner you are hit, the better. It will mean one less idiot
in the world.

Regards,

Ed Dolan the Great - Minnesota
aka

Old November 9th 07, 08:34 PM posted to nyc.bicycles,rec.bicycles.misc,alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent
Steven M. O'Neill

Edward Dolan wrote:
If you are riding in the lanes with motor vehicles in NYC it is just a
matter of time until you are hit. Ride in the street yes, but stay out of
the way of motor vehicles. In other words, get as far to the right as you
can, even if it means you are right next to the curb. Elementary, my dear
Watson!

Have you tried riding a bike like this, or is this just some
theory that you cooked up from behind the windshield?

The method you describe will result in a large number of near
sideswipes (or worse). If there's not enough room in a given
lane for a car to safely pass, the cyclist is much safer taking
the lane; drivers can see you better and are more likely to pass
in the adjacent lane when it's safe to do so.

--
Steven O'Neill
Brooklyn, NY
Old November 9th 07, 09:43 PM posted to nyc.bicycles,rec.bicycles.misc,alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent
Jeff Grippe

Well that is what I would have thought as well, however, I got hit doing
exactly what Steven says to do. Since I was on a trike and the driver behind
me was speeding up (we had just come through a green light), I was hurt
badly enough to basically put and end to my cycling.

If you don't live somewhere that has accomodated cyclists in a significant
way (such as Tucson or Seattle or Copenhagen) then I would stay off the
roads completely. I know that "giving up" like this is not a popular opinion
but the cars don't respect us at all.

Jeff

Old November 9th 07, 11:44 PM posted to nyc.bicycles,rec.bicycles.misc,alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent
Edward Dolan

Edward Dolan wrote:
If you are riding in the lanes with motor vehicles in NYC it is just a
matter of time until you are hit. Ride in the street yes, but stay out of
the way of motor vehicles. In other words, get as far to the right as you
can, even if it means you are right next to the curb. Elementary, my dear
Watson!

Have you tried riding a bike like this, or is this just some
theory that you cooked up from behind the windshield?

The method you describe will result in a large number of near
sideswipes (or worse). If there's not enough room in a given
lane for a car to safely pass, the cyclist is much safer taking
the lane; drivers can see you better and are more likely to pass
in the adjacent lane when it's safe to do so.

Yes, that is the theory all right among the cognoscenti cyclists who think
they know everything. But it is false.

If you are in danger of being sideswiped, then get off your bike and walk it
on the sidewalk. The traffic in a major metro like NYC is ferocious and only
an idiot would want to mix in with it. Frankly, I would only ride a bike
there on a bike path - even in Brooklyn!

Old November 10th 07, 12:06 AM posted to nyc.bicycles,rec.bicycles.misc,alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent
Edward Dolan

"Jeff Grippe" wrote in message

ALL TOP POSTERS ARE IDIOTS!

Well that is what I would have thought as well, however, I got hit doing
exactly what Steven says to do. Since I was on a trike and the driver
behind me was speeding up (we had just come through a green light), I was
hurt badly enough to basically put and end to my cycling.

If you don't live somewhere that has accomodated cyclists in a significant
way (such as Tucson or Seattle or Copenhagen) then I would stay off the
roads completely. I know that "giving up" like this is not a popular
opinion but the cars don't respect us at all.

Hi Jeff,

Any progress being made on your various infirmities from your trike
accident? Enough time has now passed so that you should be getting a fix on
what your prospects are.

Wishing you the best as always,

Ed Dolan

Old November 10th 07, 03:42 AM posted to nyc.bicycles,rec.bicycles.misc,alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent
Tom Sherman[_2_]

Prisoner at War wrote:
On Nov 9, 9:05 am, dgk wrote:

Really, that's pretty funny. I guess we're really not supposed to stop
for lights.

People are just like George Bush: grasp at any straw for an excuse.
I'm not surprised even cops proffered such idiocy: I've had motorists
tell me I'm supposed to be on the sidewalk and pedestrians tell me I'm
supposed to be on the street!

**** that. I'm a bicyclist; I go where I want.

I have had cops (who should know better) tell me I should ride on the
sidewalk.

Tradition is the worst rational for action.