DA Rear Derailleurs

Old February 11th 04, 06:33 PM
Eric Lambi

Default DA Rear Derailleurs

I am going to get a new DA rear derailleur. It seems that the DA9 and
DA10 derailleurs are interchangeable. So my question is, if I am
running DA9 STI, chain, etc., then how much will the DA10 derailleur
improve shifting in both the near and long term compared to the DA9
derailleur?

I suspect it wil not help much, but wanted to check with some experts
first.

Thanks!

Eric Lambi

Old February 11th 04, 10:01 PM
ZeeExSixAre

I suspect it wil not help much, but wanted to check with some experts
first.

Looks mean everything. The 10s is prettier, so you MUST buy it!

--
Phil, Squid-in-Training

Old February 11th 04, 11:06 PM
elambi

I currently have a 2 (going on 3) seasons old ultegra derailleur tha
has been crashed at least 5 times (and looks like it). I think I can ge
some improvement with a new DA derailleur

My question was whether getting the DA10 will somehow warrant the extr
$60 over the cost of the DA9

-

Old February 11th 04, 11:19 PM
Bruni

The best thing about the DA9 is the ball brg. pulleys. I can't imagine the
10 could be $60 better.
Tom

--
Bruni Bicycles
"Where art meets science"
elambi wrote in message
I currently have a 2 (going on 3) seasons old ultegra derailleur that
has been crashed at least 5 times (and looks like it). I think I can get
some improvement with a new DA derailleur.

My question was whether getting the DA10 will somehow warrant the extra
$60 over the cost of the DA9.

Old February 12th 04, 04:11 AM
Robin Hubert

"Bruni" wrote in message
The best thing about the DA9 is the ball brg. pulleys. I can't imagine the
10 could be $60 better.

In general agreement about value but I think ball-bearing pulleys are a
waste of money. They don't improve performance and, in fact, can be a
headache (ever try to service one?). Water intrusion is a real life hassle
with bearings. Since they increase cost with no added benefit, I don't like
them.

Robin Hubert

Old February 12th 04, 06:16 AM
Steve Knight

On Wed, 11 Feb 2004 17:19:47 -0500, "Bruni" wrote:

The best thing about the DA9 is the ball brg. pulleys. I can't imagine the
10 could be $60 better.

plus I got a DA 9 for 60.00 shipped new off of ebay. maybe cheaper now.

--
Knight-Toolworks & Custom Planes
Old February 12th 04, 03:17 PM
Qui si parla Campagnolo

eric- It seems that the DA9 and
DA10 derailleurs are interchangeable. So my question is, if I am
running DA9 STI, chain, etc., then how much will the DA10 derailleur
improve shifting in both the near and long term compared to the DA9
derailleur? BRBR

No improved shifting or longevity. They are nearly identical except the DA-10s
is a bunch more expensive. If ya can get a DA-9, I'd get it.

Peter Chisholm
Vecchio's Bicicletteria
1833 Pearl St.
Boulder, CO, 80302
(303)440-3535
http://www.vecchios.com
Old February 13th 04, 07:37 AM

Hi,
Everyone is missing one MAJOR change on the new 7800 (10 speed) RD. The
knuckles on the plates are now outside of the derailleur. This makes the
link wider and thus stiffer. It doesn't have nearly as much play in it as
the old one. It shifts well.Additionally, the new RD has 11 tooth pulley
wheels. This increases longevity by a huge amount because the plates of the
chain now run on every tooth rather than every other tooth on the 7700 and
earler models.
If you're looking for that small edge then buy it.

Old February 13th 04, 02:51 PM
Qui si parla Campagnolo

aotearoa- If you're looking for that small edge then buy it. BRBR

Righto-

I still say save $60 or so and get a DA 9s one until they are gone. DA rear
ders, the 9s one, IMO are very durable and with a little maintenance last for a
LONG time.

Peter Chisholm
Vecchio's Bicicletteria
1833 Pearl St.