sunscreen ate my paint

Old August 31st 11, 02:03 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

Default sunscreen ate my paint

that;s it

sunscreen ate my paint

where my knee touches the top tube [sometimes] [road bike]

fuji finest, aluminum frame, 2003

suddenly this year the paint goes soft and rubbery and peels off with
a fingernail

sunscreen!

what is that stuff doing to my gizzard or epiwhoozit!

i guess the question is, is there a sunscreen that doesn;t do this?

there doesn;t seem to be any cure for the infected areas..

wle
Old August 31st 11, 02:42 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Jeff Liebermann

On Tue, 30 Aug 2011 18:03:56 -0700 (PDT), "
wrote:

sunscreen!

What brand or type of sunscreen are you using?
If you're transfering greasy sunscreen from your knees to the top
tube, you're probably using too much sunscreen.

Was the paint job stock from Fuji or had it been repainted?
Was the paint peeling or the decals? Any primer left in place?

what is that stuff doing to my gizzard or epiwhoozit!

You don't want to know:
http://www.naturalnews.com/032815_sunscreen_chemicals.html
There are plenty of solvents and volatiles in the mix.

More bad news:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oxybenzone
It's usually disolved in some organic solvent and will go through the
skin. The solvent is probably what's eating the paint.

# 831-336-2558
# http://802.11junk.com
#
http://www.LearnByDestroying.com AE6KS
Old August 31st 11, 03:15 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

What brand or type of sunscreen are you using?

not sure
maybe banana boat spf 30
smells like cocoa butter
i;d call it oily, not 'solventy' [like the sprays that you don;t have
to pump, those
seem to have a ton of alcohol, which immediately evaporates and you
choke on the fumes,
then some kind of plasticky film remains on you]
by the time i get on the bike though it has been on me for half an
hour at least

If you're transfering greasy sunscreen from your knees to the top
tube, you're probably using too much sunscreen.

yeah but they say people don;t use enough to really do anything

Was the paint job stock from Fuji or had it been repainted?

stock

Was the paint peeling or the decals? *Any primer left in place?

paint
though actually it is a layered paint
they painted the whole frame sort of a metallic white
then parts of that have grey and red paint over that
not a decal

sunscreen ate through all 3 layers to bare aluminum

or maybe it ate through gray, red and white to some kind of gray
primer

what is that stuff doing to my gizzard or epiwhoozit!

You don't want to know:
http://www.naturalnews.com/032815_sunscreen_chemicals.html
There are plenty of solvents and volatiles in the mix.

they should be evaporated though

More bad news:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oxybenzone
It's usually disolved in some organic solvent and will go through the
skin. *The solvent is probably what's eating the paint.

wouldn;t an organic solvent be gone in about 10 mins though?

wle

Old August 31st 11, 03:15 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
DirtRoadie

On Aug 30, 7:03*pm, " wrote:
that;s it

sunscreen ate my paint

where my knee touches the top tube [sometimes] [road bike]

fuji finest, aluminum frame, 2003

suddenly this year the paint goes soft and rubbery and peels off with
a fingernail

sunscreen!

what is that stuff doing to my gizzard or epiwhoozit!

i guess the question is, is there a sunscreen that doesn;t do this?

there doesn;t seem to be any cure for the infected areas..

The inherently hazardous nature of sunscreen became apparent to me a
few years ago when I had some that ate through its own large plastic
container from the inside out.

DR
Old August 31st 11, 03:16 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

Did the color fade before it fell off?

If not, it worked as intended.

ha
no the paint didn;t fade
it didn;t get red or have melanomas either

wle

Old August 31st 11, 06:59 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Chalo

wlexxx wrote:

sunscreen ate my paint

where my knee touches the top tube [sometimes] [road bike]

fuji finest, aluminum frame, 2003

suddenly this year the paint goes soft and rubbery and peels off with
a fingernail

sunscreen!

Ach! Such are the perils of whiteness!

Chalo
Old August 31st 11, 12:45 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

then there is this..
wle

==
From: singlemalt ® 27/02/2004 7:49:15 PM
as sunscreen is designed for use on skin, this is the situation it is
best suited to. Yes, some of the chemicals may do things to plastic -
this doesn't mean it is bad for your skin...
...How about this situation - Water makes sodium explode, jeez, imagine
what it does to you if you bathe in it.

==From: goodbyesoberday ® 27/02/2004 7:52:33 PM
It makes you go wrinkly, surely a sign that your body is haveing
problems.
Old August 31st 11, 03:17 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Crescentius Vespasianus

sunscreen ate my paint

---------------
It will also eat the rubber part of sunglasses that rests on the nose.
Old August 31st 11, 04:25 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
DirtRoadie

On Aug 31, 8:17*am, Crescentius Vespasianus
wrote:
sunscreen ate my paint

It will also eat the rubber part of sunglasses that rests on the nose.

I have experienced that too.
DR