East meets West in Portland

Old September 7th 18, 02:21 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
AMuzi

Default East meets West in Portland

https://bicycleretailer.us17.list-ma...e= 32d8c5268b

"...it made me happy to see other people having fun, which
was a clear sign that I’d been in Portland too long. "
--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org/

Old September 7th 18, 03:11 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
JBeattie

On Friday, September 7, 2018 at 6:21:57 AM UTC-7, AMuzi wrote:
https://bicycleretailer.us17.list-ma...e= 32d8c5268b

"...it made me happy to see other people having fun, which
was a clear sign that I’d been in Portland too long. "

I don't even get that. He certainly didn't talk to me or see the scooter dopes going the wrong way on roads and bike lanes and moving at speeds far in excess of pedestrian traffic on the sidewalk. I think the scooters are a plague. And frankly, I'm tired of the gig economy and app based anything -- and everyone on the phone. Screw 'em.

On a slightly different note, I'm always amazed at tourists coming to Portland. There is nothing to see except a staggering amount of homeless and the usual neo-Bohemian culture, which loses its novelty after the fifth pedal beer-cycle or second trip to Powell's Books. Yet I see these guided groups and the dweebs on Seques touring the downtown. I can't imagine what the narration sounds like, "and if you look to your left, you will see an office building. Nothing happened there . . . we're walking, we're walking. And if you look to your right, you will see City Hall. Nothing happens there either."

-- Jay Beattie.
Old September 7th 18, 03:28 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
AMuzi

On 9/7/2018 9:11 AM, jbeattie wrote:
[...]

Yeah, that's weird. I never saw tour buses roll past the
Dane County building to view Wisconsin bums:
http://wkow.images.worldnow.com/images/10909714_G.jpg

Old September 7th 18, 04:54 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
JBeattie

On Friday, September 7, 2018 at 7:28:30 AM UTC-7, AMuzi wrote:
[...]

And you guys have record low unemployment. https://madison.com/wsj/news/local/g...8879b273b.html I don't get it -- unless you have Venezuela-esque inflation or an astronomical cost of living, and even then you would expect to see working homeless or people living ten to an apartment.

-- Jay Beattie.

Old September 7th 18, 05:00 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Frank Krygowski[_4_]

On 9/7/2018 10:11 AM, jbeattie wrote:

On a slightly different note, I'm always amazed at tourists coming to Portland. There is nothing to see except a staggering amount of homeless and the usual neo-Bohemian culture, which loses its novelty after the fifth pedal beer-cycle or second trip to Powell's Books.

Hey, we love Powell's Books! If we get bored after our second visit to
the main store, we go to the Powell's branch stores.

(Does the Powell's tech book store still exist?)

--
- Frank Krygowski
Old September 7th 18, 05:59 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Andre Jute[_2_]

On Friday, September 7, 2018 at 3:11:41 PM UTC+1, jbeattie wrote:
I'm always amazed at tourists coming to Portland. There is nothing to see except a staggering amount of homeless and the usual neo-Bohemian culture, which loses its novelty after the fifth pedal beer-cycle or second trip to Powell's Books.

Some decades ago, before Germany rose to again dominate Europe, I suggested to the French tourist authorities, as a solution to their express desire to attract a better (and wealthier) class of tourist than cut-price German bus-tourists who thought they'd won the war, that instead they spend their promotion budget on hyping Hungary (which was then a dreary, palpably fear-ridden place, just another Soviet-oppressed country) as *the* tourist destination for Germans and other cut-price bus tourists. "That's a clever idea," a deputy minister said, "but we'll never get away with it."

Today almost everyone can afford to be a tourist. My previous dentist, now retired, used to get brassed off at Japanese golf-tourists blocking his four on the greens. I thought it was a comedy turn when he described how they would have their wives repeatedly photograph every stroke, because this was the opportunity of a lifetime, for which they had saved for years, because in Japan all they did was hit balls off a multi-tiered driving range, and that was pretty pricey too, while here they played on a real golf course, even if they didn't know to let faster players through. When I laughed, my dentist was outraged at my insensitivity.

AJ
Never a tourist
Old September 7th 18, 06:11 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
AMuzi

On 9/7/2018 10:54 AM, jbeattie wrote:
[...]

Best joke I heard yesterday-
Unemployment is so low that even Colin Kapernik has a job.

Old September 7th 18, 08:15 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
JBeattie

On Friday, September 7, 2018 at 9:00:21 AM UTC-7, Frank Krygowski wrote:
On 9/7/2018 10:11 AM, jbeattie wrote:

On a slightly different note, I'm always amazed at tourists coming to Portland. There is nothing to see except a staggering amount of homeless and the usual neo-Bohemian culture, which loses its novelty after the fifth pedal beer-cycle or second trip to Powell's Books.

Hey, we love Powell's Books! If we get bored after our second visit to
the main store, we go to the Powell's branch stores.

(Does the Powell's tech book store still exist?)

The freestanding technical book store closed and went into the Burnside store. The real estate probably got too expensive. They've expanded some of the other stores. http://www.powells.com/locations

The one good thing I can say about Portland and PDX is that the Port of Portland, which operates PDX, requires its lessees to charge the same at the airport as they do off-property. So, a book a the Powell's PDX store is the same as its downtown store. I've bought some incredibly cheap sale-table airplane reading material there. The same goes with all the airport vendors. A bad, overpriced cup of Starbucks is the same at PDX as downtown. Even ten years ago, I think I paid almost $5 for a crappy Starbuck's latte at JFK or EWR (Newark). I hope east never meets west. PDX is a great airport.. https://www.travelandleisure.com/air...est-us-airport

I mean, maybe we could use some slot machines like Vegas, and I'm not excited about the new arriving passenger exits/waiting area, but sacrifices must be made for security. Otherwise, thumbs up. For the alcoholics on departing flights, you can even buy artisinal booze: https://flypdx.com/PDX/ShopsAndServices#/id/4 Pick up some Volstead Vodka for the trip to Salt Lake. No drinking on the plane, however (or at least I haven't tried).

-- Jay Beattie.
Old September 7th 18, 10:57 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Doug Cimperman

On 9/7/2018 8:21 AM, AMuzi wrote:
https://bicycleretailer.us17.list-ma...e= 32d8c5268b

"...it made me happy to see other people having fun, which was a clear
sign that I’d been in Portland too long.* "

I read an article about one of the big US scooter companies a while
back. I am convinced that due to economics, the urban-scooter-service
craze will soon eat itself. They seemed to be following the typical
silicon valley start-up business plan of (1) burning investor cash
charging way too little for a moderately-convenient service, and (2)
hoping that some bigger company buys them out real soon, before they run
out of investor cash.
Old September 8th 18, 03:47 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Joerg[_2_]

wrote:
On 9/7/2018 10:11 AM, jbeattie wrote:

On a slightly different note, I'm always amazed at tourists
coming to Portland. There is nothing to see except a staggering
amount of homeless and the usual neo-Bohemian culture, which
loses its novelty after the fifth pedal beer-cycle or second trip
to Powell's Books.

Hey, we love Powell's Books! If we get bored after our second visit
to the main store, we go to the Powell's branch stores.

(Does the Powell's tech book store still exist?)

The freestanding technical book store closed and went into the
Burnside store. The real estate probably got too expensive.
They've expanded some of the other stores.
http://www.powells.com/locations

Less and less people read books. Seems to be similar with newspapers.
I've had the WSJ and now the FT, neither can get the distributor to
provide a reliable paper delivery every morning though the FT is
slightly better in that domain (so far). "But you can always read the
ePaper" ... I want a real newspaper.

The one good thing I can say about Portland and PDX is that the Port
of Portland, which operates PDX, requires its lessees to charge the
same at the airport as they do off-property.

That means they aren't gouging their concession holders, else there soon
wouldn't be any concession holders left. Different in Sacramento,
everything is pricey there. But they had to have their million dollar
"art rabbit". Many people just make a fist in the pocket and pay up.
Once I saw a couple pour out their water bottles before the TSA check
and they were about to chuck them into the recycling bin when I said
"Don't. You can refill them at a drinking fountain on the other side
instead of buying overpriced bottles" ... "Oh, good idea! Thanks!".

[...]

To qualify as a truly Oregonian place PDX should have a brewpub right on
the premises :-)

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/