Are KMC-Z chains directional?

Old March 3rd 21, 11:47 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Joerg[_2_]

Default Are KMC-Z chains directional?

My last Shimano chain is worn so I'll be trying the first KMC-Z72
8-speed chain on my road bike next week, since Jay recommended those.
Are they directional? The package doesn't say and the Internet doesn't
either.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Old March 4th 21, 12:21 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
John B.[_3_]

On Wed, 3 Mar 2021 15:47:52 -0800, Joerg
wrote:

My last Shimano chain is worn so I'll be trying the first KMC-Z72
8-speed chain on my road bike next week, since Jay recommended those.
Are they directional? The package doesn't say and the Internet doesn't
either.

I don't think that roller chains are directional, are they?
--
Cheers,

John B.

Old March 4th 21, 12:55 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Andre Jute[_2_]

No.
Old March 4th 21, 01:03 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
John B.[_3_]

wrote:

My last Shimano chain is worn so I'll be trying the first KMC-Z72
8-speed chain on my road bike next week, since Jay recommended those.
Are they directional? The package doesn't say and the Internet doesn't
either.

I don't think that roller chains are directional, are they?

Correction there are Shimano chains that are directional, the CN-HG54,
CN-HG701-11, CN-HG601-11, and probably others. KMC apparently makes no
directional chains.
--
Cheers,

John B.

Old March 4th 21, 02:16 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Jeff Liebermann

wrote:

My last Shimano chain is worn so I'll be trying the first KMC-Z72
8-speed chain on my road bike next week, since Jay recommended those.
Are they directional? The package doesn't say and the Internet doesn't
either.

This article doesn't mention KMC, but does mention that SRAM chains
are not directional, while some Shimano chains are directional. The
article suggests that directional chains have the logo stamped only on
one side of the chain, which should be facing away from the frame:

Are Bicycle Chains directional?
https://bikesfaq.com/are-bicycle-chains-directional-some-are-some-arent

I couldn't find a data sheet on the KMC Z-72. Everywhere I look, all
I find are "discontinued" or "otto stock" (except some old stock on
eBay).

--
Jeff Liebermann
PO Box 272
Old March 4th 21, 04:00 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
JBeattie

wrote:
My last Shimano chain is worn so I'll be trying the first KMC-Z72
8-speed chain on my road bike next week, since Jay recommended those.
Are they directional? The package doesn't say and the Internet doesn't
either.

This article doesn't mention KMC, but does mention that SRAM chains
are not directional, while some Shimano chains are directional. The
article suggests that directional chains have the logo stamped only on
one side of the chain, which should be facing away from the frame:

Are Bicycle Chains directional?
https://bikesfaq.com/are-bicycle-chains-directional-some-are-some-arent

I couldn't find a data sheet on the KMC Z-72. Everywhere I look, all
I find are "discontinued" or "otto stock" (except some old stock on
eBay).

KMC chains are not directional, and I doubt that even Shimano makes direction 8sp chains. Its a marketing ploy for the high end groups, IMO. I went out and looked at my own Shimano chain -- which is directional -- and I mounted it in the right direction, except for the quick link. I wasn't watching the arrow, which is pointing in the wrong direction -- and probably accounts for my slowness.

-- Jay Beattie.

Old March 4th 21, 05:01 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
AMuzi

On 3/3/2021 5:47 PM, Joerg wrote:
My last Shimano chain is worn so I'll be trying the first
KMC-Z72 8-speed chain on my road bike next week, since Jay
recommended those. Are they directional? The package doesn't
say and the Internet doesn't either.

Those were not, nor are the newer Z8

--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org/

Old March 4th 21, 05:01 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
AMuzi

wrote:

My last Shimano chain is worn so I'll be trying the first KMC-Z72
8-speed chain on my road bike next week, since Jay recommended those.
Are they directional? The package doesn't say and the Internet doesn't
either.

I don't think that roller chains are directional, are they?

Some designs, yes.

Old March 4th 21, 04:45 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Tom Kunich[_4_]

wrote:

My last Shimano chain is worn so I'll be trying the first KMC-Z72
8-speed chain on my road bike next week, since Jay recommended those.
Are they directional? The package doesn't say and the Internet doesn't
either.

I don't think that roller chains are directional, are they?

Some designs, yes.

Frank is the mechanical engineer. You'd think that he might have something to say about this rather than he far left comments about discrimination where none ever existed.
Old March 4th 21, 06:00 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Joerg[_2_]

On 3/3/21 9:01 PM, AMuzi wrote:
On 3/3/2021 5:47 PM, Joerg wrote:
My last Shimano chain is worn so I'll be trying the first
KMC-Z72 8-speed chain on my road bike next week, since Jay
recommended those. Are they directional? The package doesn't
say and the Internet doesn't either.

Those were not, nor are the newer Z8

Thanks, Andrew. Here's hoping the cassette will arrive some day. Fedex
simply declared an "exception" and said it will be stuck in Michigan at
least until the weekend. So I hope the old chain makes it another 100mi.

Chains John B.[_3_] Techniques 15 December 11th 13 11:47 PM
chains.... again..... Keyser Sose UK 3 October 10th 06 01:29 AM
Giant Revive directional stability problem wobbler Recumbent Biking 10 July 14th 05 10:27 PM
chains, anyone? Ray Peace Australia 6 April 1st 05 10:50 AM
Chains Keith Willoughby UK 63 April 24th 04 11:42 AM