puncture problems

Old May 18th 07, 11:34 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Adam Lea

Default puncture problems

I seem to be going through one of those periods of high puncture frequency.
So much for Kevlar lined tyres. Five times I have had to repair one in one
week. Can't understand it as I try to cycle down either the left or right
tyre track on the road. I have had a look at the rear tyre and it is full of
perforations. I think I am going to have to get some new ones.

Adam

Old May 19th 07, 08:21 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Nigel

"del" wrote in message
news
On Friday 18 May 2007 23:34 Adam Lea, wrote:

I seem to be going through one of those periods of high puncture
frequency. So much for Kevlar lined tyres. Five times I have had to
repair one in one week. Can't understand it as I try to cycle down
either the left or right tyre track on the road. I have had a look at
the rear tyre and it is full of perforations. I think I am going to
have to get some new ones.

I had similar problems with a kevlar belted tyre and I never found
anything that could have been puncturing the tube, flints, thorns,
glass etc. The only thing wrong with the tyre was a cut, about 4mm
long, in the raised part of the tread that went through the kevlar.
Since the punctures were in the area of that cut I can only reason that
the kevlar fibres poked into or rubbed the tube causing a hole and
premature deflation. Similar report from a cycling buddy as well.
To fix we both upgraded to a Schwalbe Marathon Plus. Next time I buy a
tyre it'll be another SMP or a standard, none kevlar belted, tyre.
--
del 8-)

I've had puncture problems every week on the MTB and asked my local shop
about kevlar liners made by Panaracer. Their opinion is that kevlar causes
more punctures than it stops. So I'm trying out gunk filled tubes on the
MTB.
For the road bike I've not had a single puncture yet using Continental
Gatorskins.

Looks around nervously for black cats, and wood to touch

Nigel

Old May 19th 07, 08:44 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Don Whybrow

Nigel wrote:

For the road bike I've not had a single puncture yet using Continental
Gatorskins.

I have Sport Contacts on the commuter & Gatorskins on the tourer/road
bike. Neither have given me any significant problems apart from getting
the blighter's onto the rims.

--
Don Whybrow

Sequi Bonum Non Time

"This is all very interesting, and I daresay you already see me
frothing at the mouth in a fit; but no, I am not; I am just
winking happy thoughts into a little tiddle cup." (Nabokov,
Lolita)
Old May 19th 07, 09:10 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Mark Thompson

For the road bike I've not had a single %^&*(!@} yet using Continental
Gatorskins.

I've had a few with the gatorskins, but they've also been decent sized bits
of glass - the kevlar band isn't impenetrable. I did pick 28 pieces of
glass last time I checked the tyre, so it seems like the kevlar does it's
job. I'll be trying out the GP4000s next - they use vectran and promise
similar puncture protection without such a big weight penalty.
Old May 19th 07, 12:15 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Nick[_2_]

Adam Lea wrote:
I seem to be going through one of those periods of high puncture frequency.

You mean periods when it rains?
Old May 19th 07, 12:37 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Agent Orange

On Fri, 18 May 2007 23:34:59 +0100, "Adam Lea"
wrote:

I seem to be going through one of those periods of high puncture frequency.
So much for Kevlar lined tyres. Five times I have had to repair one in one
week. Can't understand it as I try to cycle down either the left or right
tyre track on the road. I have had a look at the rear tyre and it is full of
perforations. I think I am going to have to get some new ones.

Adam

I put some Slime in my tyres over 12 months back. Other than pumping
them back up once, I've never looked back. The additional weight might
be an issue for some people, but it doesn't really bother me.
Old May 19th 07, 02:05 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Adam Lea

"Nick" wrote in message
Adam Lea wrote:
I seem to be going through one of those periods of high puncture
frequency.

You mean periods when it rains?

I do tend to get punctures during a prolonged unsettled spell but I don't
recall having this many in such a short space of time before.

Old May 19th 07, 09:55 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Andrew Price

On Sat, 19 May 2007 08:44:40 +0100, Don Whybrow
wrote:

For the road bike I've not had a single puncture yet using Continental
Gatorskins.

I have Sport Contacts on the commuter & Gatorskins on the tourer/road
bike. Neither have given me any significant problems apart from getting
the blighter's onto the rims.

Did you manage by hand or did you have to resort to using tools?
Old May 19th 07, 10:58 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Don Whybrow

wrote:

I have Sport Contacts on the commuter & Gatorskins on the tourer/road
bike. Neither have given me any significant problems apart from getting
the blighter's onto the rims.

Did you manage by hand or did you have to resort to using tools?

I resorted to tools for the final bit.

--
Don Whybrow

Sequi Bonum Non Time

If you find yourself in a hole, the first thing to do is stop
diggin'.
Old May 20th 07, 08:30 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Adam Lea

"del" wrote in message
[...]

The Marathon Plus tyres sound ideal for my needs but I haven't been able to
find any for 18 inch wheels.

Adam

Cause of puncture [email protected][_2_] UK 11 May 18th 07 03:02 PM
puncture no more [email protected] UK 15 April 28th 07 07:44 AM
That’s not a puncture….. gplama Australia 5 February 27th 06 11:24 PM
First puncture. Simon Mason UK 4 November 8th 03 09:38 PM
Puncture! Lee UK 9 September 18th 03 03:56 PM