Cyclist on wrong side of the road

Old August 12th 19, 07:09 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Rob Morley

Default Cyclist on wrong side of the road

On Sun, 11 Aug 2019 11:08:09 +0100
GB wrote:

The alternative would have been simply to stop and let her run into
the front of my car.

That would have been more fun.

Old August 12th 19, 07:12 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Rob Morley

On Sun, 11 Aug 2019 19:27:59 +0100
TMS320 wrote:

The Highway Code suggests pedestrians should travel on the right hand
side when there are no pavements. Wrongly or rightly, some people
probably think it applies when going slowly on a bicycle or mobility
scooter.

That's the legal requirement in some US states. I think Europe is
generally more sensible.

Old August 12th 19, 08:43 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
TMS320

On 12/08/2019 17:47, JNugent wrote:
On 12/08/2019 14:33, TMS320 wrote:
On 12/08/2019 13:04, JNugent wrote:
On 12/08/2019 08:34, TMS320 wrote:
On 12/08/2019 00:22, JNugent wrote:

On reflection, there was no point in asking you to acknowledge such
concepts. Your belief is that cyclists must be allowed to do as they
please.

I believe the Laws of Physics are quite strict about what happens if
road users try to do as they please.

Besides, nobody has yet to answer my question why the event descibed
should bother them.

You didn't read the OP?

I did.

You made your "scofflaw" allegation which needed justifying. We finally
got there (which must be a ukrc record) - even though the rule is
riddled with exceptions, which we have already covered, which makes it a
matter of judgement to the road user and opinion by the onlooker.

I then asked why anybody needed to be bothered about such a scenario.
Given the lack of response, apart from the usual one of Pounder going
back to the playground and you misunderstanding th question, I take it
that it isn't perceived to be an issue so we can put it to bed.
Old August 12th 19, 08:58 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
TMS320

On 12/08/2019 19:08, Rob Morley wrote:
On Sat, 10 Aug 2019 22:20:52 +0100 TMS320 wrote:

- why does anybody need to be bothered about it?

Normally I try to give cyclists half the road - if I'm passing one on
my side I have to go into the other lane, while if he was on the
correct side I wouldn't have to do anything to pass him. Plus if he's
silly enough to ride on the wrong side I have to expect him to do
something dangerous, like swinging a U-turn while answering his
phone, so slow right down.

On one occasion I was turning out of a junction onto a three lane one
way main thoroughfare (urban 30 limit) into a lane where I encountered a
teenager facing me doing wheelies.

It was a nice big space, an obviously quiet time. Good on him. I can
easily imagine that some people (given the hysterical attitude we often
get), would consider something like this as verging on a national disaster.

Old August 12th 19, 11:43 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
jnugent

On 12/08/2019 20:43, TMS320 wrote:
On 12/08/2019 17:47, JNugent wrote:
On 12/08/2019 14:33, TMS320 wrote:
On 12/08/2019 13:04, JNugent wrote:
On 12/08/2019 08:34, TMS320 wrote:
On 12/08/2019 00:22, JNugent wrote:

On reflection, there was no point in asking you to acknowledge such
concepts. Your belief is that cyclists must be allowed to do as they
please.

I believe the Laws of Physics are quite strict about what happens if
road users try to do as they please.

That may mean something. It might not. It's not worth puzzling over.

Besides, nobody has yet to answer my question why the event descibed
should bother them.

You didn't read the OP?

I did.

In that case, you (now) know that the cyclist committed an offence. And
it was just about the most basic and long-standing offence on the
Statute Book when it comes to traffic law.

You made your "scofflaw" allegation which needed justifying.

Was there ever any doubt that it was more than justified?

Other than to people who don't accept that the law says you must keep
left of oncoming trafic (as well as cycling considerately, etc) I mean,
obviously.

We finally
got there (which must be a ukrc record) - even though the rule is
riddled with exceptions, which we have already covered, which makes it a
matter of judgement to the road user and opinion by the onlooker.

A cyclist may hold the "opinion" that he or she is allowed to cycle on
the RHS of the road. Such an opinion is mistaken. Failing to pass to
(the cyclist's) left of oncoming traffic is an offence. That isn't a
matter which falls to be decided by opinion.

I then asked why anybody needed to be bothered about such a scenario.
Given the lack of response, apart from the usual one of Pounder going
back to the playground and you misunderstanding th question, I take it
that it isn't perceived to be an issue so we can put it to bed.

I have misunderstood no question, though I treated one of yours as
irrelevant and not worthy of dignifying with an answer.

You, OTOH, show signs of not understanding - or accepting - that using
the RHS of the road in the face of oncoming traffic is an offence.

Of course, if it were an Audi driver doing it, that would be Completely
Different [TM].

Old August 13th 19, 12:18 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
TMS320

On 12/08/2019 23:43, JNugent wrote:
On 12/08/2019 20:43, TMS320 wrote:

I then asked why anybody needed to be bothered about such a scenario.
Given the lack of response, apart from the usual one of Pounder going
back to the playground and you misunderstanding th question, I take it
that it isn't perceived to be an issue so we can put it to bed.

I have misunderstood no question,
though I treated one of yours as
irrelevant and not worthy of dignifying with an answer.

well, that answered my question in a round about way.

You, OTOH, show signs of not understanding - or accepting - that using
the RHS of the road in the face of oncoming traffic is an offence.

Of course, if it were an Audi driver doing it, that would be Completely
Different [TM].

I expect some people take their driving test in an Audi... But if you
were to meet an Audi coming towards you on a left hand bend, the Laws of
Physics will definitely make the outcome Completely Different [TM].