Name of screw that holds the rear brake cable

Old August 21st 19, 09:59 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
AMuzi

Default Name of screw that holds the rear brake cable

On 8/21/2019 12:45 PM, Tosspot wrote:
On 19/08/2019 12:19, Sir Ridesalot wrote:

snip

I've seen a LOT of hex-key head bolts that the hex socket was
basically stripped on so that even a proper size hex key
no longer
worked on it. That can happen if a substandard quality
bolt has too
much torque applied to it or if the wrong size hex key is
used.

AK has said that he used a U.S. Standard hex key on this
bolt and
that the head of it is NEARLY stripped to the point where
he won't be
able to tighten or loosen it.

Again, his best bet is to take the bike to a bike shop so
that he can
get a new undamaged bolt and also the proper size hex key
to use on
it.

Worth noting the next size up torx bit hammered in will
sometimes get a rounded hex out.

+1
Desperate situations sometimes require desperate measures.

--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org/

Old August 21st 19, 11:26 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
John B. Slocomb

On Wed, 21 Aug 2019 02:32:03 -0700 (PDT), AK
wrote:

On Wednesday, August 21, 2019 at 2:17:33 AM UTC-5, Chalo wrote:
John B. Slocomb wrote:

Nope. The "NAS" number has changed but the same old bolt is still
available. A NAS 147-53 is now called a MS25007-40

The AN- Army Navy specification series started in the early 1940s
NAS-
National Aerospace Standards, started
in 1941

MS- Military standard started around
the 1950s

That conveniently ignores the fact that a 1/4"-28 screw isn't an M6x1.0 screw. There is no metric "internal wrenching bolt" so there's no such bolt on a recently manufactured bicycle (even a pretend bicycle like a Huffy).

Don't be dissin my bike. :-)

For the price, Huffy makes a fine bike.

I've also had a fine Raleigh 3 speed that I logged thousands of miles with.

Andy

You just don't understand, do you? After all if you aren't riding a
$3,000 bicycle and wearing at least $200 of special bicycling clothes
and, of course, the $200 shoes, you just ain't to be noticed.

A Huffy? Just stick some masking tape over the decals and rename it
something like a "SUPER PESO LEGGERO LAMBREHINI" and tell people that
the 5 speed gears are to build a super lightweight bike and you can
join right in the game :-)
--

Cheers,

John B.
Old August 21st 19, 11:40 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
John B. Slocomb

On Wed, 21 Aug 2019 13:04:46 -0400, Frank Krygowski
wrote:

On 8/21/2019 11:39 AM, Tom Kunich wrote:
On Tuesday, August 20, 2019 at 7:05:22 PM UTC-7, Chalo wrote:
Tom Kunich wrote:

By the way - It is NOT a "cap screw". It is as I said, and Internal
Wrenching Bolt. Now they are often mislabeled and you'd find a Cap
Screw in the wrong bin.

I had to look up your laughable term to see if anybody else had heard of it. It turns out that an "internal wrenching bolt" is a Jim Crow-era NAS (US aviation industry) designation for a certain kind of cadmium-plated fastener which is by definition not metric. While the decorative head on a craptastic linear-pull brake cable fixing screw is superficially kind of similar, it's not an inch-sized, cadmium-plated, ludicrously expensive airplane part. So it's not what you say it is.

But feel free to keep doubling down.

You are perfectly welcome to invent any name you like for a common head shape. You can even tell everyone that because some have metric hex interiors instead of English size hex that it is a completely different head shape. Is there something wrong in your head for which you simply cannot agree on a commonly available part?

Tom, the point is: many of us are very familiar with bike hardware. Only
one of us seems to think we should call that thing an "internally
wrenching bolt." That's true whether or not you can find it on a page
devoted to aircraft hardware. Using that moniker is a failure to
communicate.

This reminds me of another tempest-in-a-teapot in the bicycling world.
Back in the 1980s, perhaps, some manufacturers organization tried to
change the words used for different types of bike tires. IIRC, they were
happy enough with "tubulars" but they said almost all "clinchers" didn't
really meet _their_ official definition of what a "clincher" tire was.

So they said the name "tubular" could remain, but the proper name for
what we call "clincher" was ... wait for it! ... "TIRE"!

We all know how well that effort worked out.

Many years ago I was working in the USAF Machine shop on a Sunday -
doing a "home project" - and a guy from the fire department came in
with an old rusty, maybe 3/8"-16 bolt, and says, "Can I give him one
like this except but with "skinny" threads?"

We spent some time with one idiot trying to explain to the other idiot
what a skinny thread was and the "penny finally dropped". I found him
a 3/8"-24 thread bolt in the junk box an he went away happy and I was
left to ponder on whether the whole "outside world" measured threads
as fat and skinny :-)
--

Cheers,

John B.
Old August 21st 19, 11:50 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Tom Kunich[_5_]

Tom Kunich wrote:

[...]

Frank, as a past teacher I am very surprised that you think you could call it "one of those things" or a "cap screw" which is a completely different shaped head. As a supposed mechanical engineer I am also surprised that you wouldn't know WHY that head has the specific shape. You continually surprise me with the mechanical engineering education of a 1st grader. Excuse me but if you don't think that things should be called by their correct designation you are pretty silly. You can join Chalo who thinks that it is a "Jim Crow Era" designation of an English threaded component.

Here are the relevant questions:

Have you tried walking into a bike shop and asking for an "Internally
Wrenched Bolt" in the appropriate size (which is probably 5mm x 0.8, or
maybe 6mm x 1.0)?

Have you tried that at a hardware store?

If so, what were the responses?

If not, why don't you try those and report back?

I maintain that it's silly to insist on an "official name" that is
almost universally unrecognized.

--
- Frank Krygowski

I asked you a question: As a teacher did you recommend to your students to put any name they felt like on a component? Second - are you even AWARE that the design of that head was very specific for a purpose?

For someone that claims to have been a mechanical engineer this should have been right down your alley and instead it appears that your head is up your ass.
Old August 21st 19, 11:54 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
John B. Slocomb

On Wed, 21 Aug 2019 13:09:30 -0400, Frank Krygowski
wrote:

On 8/21/2019 12:19 PM, jbeattie wrote:

Having looked through the fasteners at my local Ace many, many times, I can guaranty you there there is no drawer, box or fastener labeled "Internal Wrenching Bolt." Maybe such a bolt exists, but what I use on my bike is labeled as a socket head cap screw. Go to Grainger: https://tinyurl.com/y4y89fww Type in "internal Wrenching Bolt" and see what comes up. Nada. An internal wrenching bolt is some odd-ball aircraft/military fastener with inch dimensions. It's not a metric fastener. Now go to the internet and type in "internal wrenching bolt" -- and get a bunch of military crap. https://military-fasteners.com/bolts...renching+bolts

The military has a long history of unusual names. For example:

================================================= ==========

"'I understand,'' the Maine Republican said, ''that there is a story
coming out about a $600 toilet seat.''

''I think that gives new meaning to the word throne,'' Cohen added
before casually dropping the subject and moving on to weightier issues,
such as space defense and NATO burden sharing.

Within hours, the Defense Department publicists had cranked out a
statement challenging the senator`s characterization of the transaction.
Actually, the statement said, the Pentagon didn`t pay more than $600 for
a toilet seat.

''We believe the senator was referring to a lavatory cover which we have
recently learned has been priced at more than $600 by the contractor,
the Lockheed Corp.,'' the statement said.

According to Nick Duretta of Lockheed`s public information office, there
is a difference between a toilet seat and the lavatory cover purchased
for P-3 patrol planes that are now out of production.

''It (the lavatory cover) is more complex than a toilet seat,'' Duretta
said."

================================================= =========

That was pretty common knowledge in the sections that were in the
business of trying to keep experimental airplanes flying)

The story was that the A.F. had ordered a toilet "can"
cover for an experimental aircraft for which there was no spares in
the supply system, or manufacturer's stocks. What is the correct price
to set up and manufacture a cover, probably dimensioned in tenths of
thousands and made of some erotic material?

At the same time the F111B had some nose wheel landing gear bushings
that were called "fabroid bushings" that did not require lubrication.
They also failed very frequently, sometimes a frequently as every
flight and depending on the bushing they might cost $100 each and we
usually changed them as a full set so several hundred dollars per set.
And there were 3 experimental aircraft in the fleet. What to do?
--

Cheers,

John B.
Old August 22nd 19, 12:25 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Jeff Liebermann

On Wed, 21 Aug 2019 11:42:06 -0500, AMuzi wrote:

On 8/20/2019 8:44 PM, Frank Krygowski wrote:
On 8/20/2019 8:11 PM, AMuzi wrote:

That just happened to me Saturday. "I've looked
everywhere for..."

"Simplex 503. $1.95"

Or $199.00 elsewhere, I see:
https://www.ebay.com/i/113775529548
Maybe it wasn't exactly the same?

Aha! We have several libraries here. Found it!
http://www.yellowjersey.org/photosfr...t/simplex1.jpg
See penultimate item near bottom of page.

Look what I found in one of my junk boxes. Simplex 637P and 637NI
front derailleurs:
http://www.learnbydestroying.com/jeffl/pics/bicycles/Simplex-derailleur.jpg
Notice that the two derailleurs are slight different. They were
probably left-over from upgrading 1960's Peugeot bicycles in the
distant past. I have no idea why I saved them. Make me rich and
they're both yours. No extra charge for the dirt and rust.
https://www.bikeboompeugeot.com/Parts%20and%20Accessories/Parts%20&%20Accessories.htm

Methinks if I dig deeper into the junk box, I might find the original
Simplex front derailleurs and other parts and pieces.

I didn't think anyone would pay $200 for Simplex parts, but apparently
there is a demand and some sales. Sold Simplex derailleurs on eBay:
https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_nkw=simple+derailleur&LH_Sold=1&LH_Complet e=1
I guess I should upgrade the name of my junk box to "unsorted vintage
components".

--
Jeff Liebermann
150 Felker St #D
Old August 22nd 19, 12:40 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
AK[_2_]

On Wednesday, August 21, 2019 at 6:25:43 PM UTC-5, Jeff Liebermann wrote:
[...]

I find it quite humorous that a few here start an argument over what a part is called. :-)

Andy
Old August 22nd 19, 12:43 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
AK[_2_]

[...]

Is the picture P1010012 a TV antenna?

Andy
Old August 22nd 19, 12:45 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Frank Krygowski[_4_]

Tom Kunich wrote:

[...]

I think you should go first. Why didn't you answer the above?

As a teacher did you recommend to your students to put any name they felt like on a component?

One thing I taught was not to obfuscate using weird jargon. Correct
names for parts? Certainly. Obscure names used in communication with
non-specialists? Not a good idea, unless one first defines the terms.
And I did counsel them to define obscure terms.

Now, if you went into a bike shop and said "This stripped bolt is called
an Internal Wrenching Bolt. Can I buy one?" I'm sure they would say "Um,
yes sir, we've got those." But when you left, they'd be laughing about
"internal wrenching."

Second - are you even AWARE that the design of that head was very specific for a purpose?

I'm aware of a larger than normal radius between the body and the head,
to reduce stress concentration in tension. But that doesn't seem to be
what you're imagining.

So what, precisely, _are_ you imagining? You haven't explained it
sufficiently. (And if, on a test, you gave me the vague answer you gave
here previously, you'd lose points.)

--
- Frank Krygowski
Old August 22nd 19, 12:54 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Frank Krygowski[_4_]

wrote:

[...]

Hmm. I'd first do away with the "erotic" material. You don't want
flyboys getting hot, bothered and distracted.

Secondly, find a way to avoid tolerances as small as tenths. One reason
our students went through some machine shop fundamentals was so they
would realize how much work and expense is involved in "plus or minus
one thousandth," let alone one tenth.

But I once worked with a guy who had done design work for a company
producing military helicopters. (Sorry, I forget which.) He said that in
the engineering drawing room (back in the days of drafting boards) there
was a big display up on one wall, a selection of tools. The sign said
something like "They have to repair it with THESE."

The idea, supposedly, was to avoid exotic requirements in tools. One
would think the same idea should apply to toilet seats.

At the same time the F111B had some nose wheel landing gear bushings
that were called "fabroid bushings" that did not require lubrication.
They also failed very frequently, sometimes a frequently as every
flight and depending on the bushing they might cost $100 each and we
usually changed them as a full set so several hundred dollars per set.
And there were 3 experimental aircraft in the fleet. What to do?

That sounds like a terrible design flaw.

--
- Frank Krygowski