Name of screw that holds the rear brake cable

Old August 22nd 19, 01:10 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Sir Ridesalot

Default Name of screw that holds the rear brake cable

On Wednesday, 21 August 2019 19:40:24 UTC-4, AK wrote:
On Wednesday, August 21, 2019 at 6:25:43 PM UTC-5, Jeff Liebermann wrote:
On Wed, 21 Aug 2019 11:42:06 -0500, AMuzi wrote:

On 8/20/2019 8:44 PM, Frank Krygowski wrote:
On 8/20/2019 8:11 PM, AMuzi wrote:

That just happened to me Saturday. "I've looked
everywhere for..."

"Simplex 503. $1.95"

Or $199.00 elsewhere, I see:
https://www.ebay.com/i/113775529548
Maybe it wasn't exactly the same?

Aha! We have several libraries here. Found it!
http://www.yellowjersey.org/photosfr...t/simplex1.jpg
See penultimate item near bottom of page.

Look what I found in one of my junk boxes. Simplex 637P and 637NI
front derailleurs:
http://www.learnbydestroying.com/jeffl/pics/bicycles/Simplex-derailleur.jpg
Notice that the two derailleurs are slight different. They were
probably left-over from upgrading 1960's Peugeot bicycles in the
distant past. I have no idea why I saved them. Make me rich and
they're both yours. No extra charge for the dirt and rust.
https://www.bikeboompeugeot.com/Parts%20and%20Accessories/Parts%20&%20Accessories.htm

Methinks if I dig deeper into the junk box, I might find the original
Simplex front derailleurs and other parts and pieces.

I didn't think anyone would pay $200 for Simplex parts, but apparently
there is a demand and some sales. Sold Simplex derailleurs on eBay:
https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_nkw=simple+derailleur&LH_Sold=1&LH_Complet e=1
I guess I should upgrade the name of my junk box to "unsorted vintage
components".

--
Jeff Liebermann
150 Felker St #D

I find it quite humorous that a few here start an argument over what a part is called. :-)

Andy

And will use pages to continue arguing.

Cheers
Old August 22nd 19, 01:13 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
AMuzi

On 8/21/2019 6:25 PM, Jeff Liebermann wrote:
[...]

The open spring with grey cover Prestige is about 1964
through 1970 or so. The closed spring 637 was their highest
volume product ever from about 1971 on.

The rod-type Simplex fronts, like Campagnolo GranSport, are
sorely lacking:
http://www.bikeraceinfo.com/images-a...ront-bobet.jpg

Although they were adequate to the era of 47/50 chainrings.

After the 1972 AV 3SC, all the parallelogram fronts are
absolutely superior.
http://classicbicycles.world.coocan....xRefAV3SC.html

Simplex front cages from that series are exceptionally thick
and stiff, even as compared to Suntour, and the triple
models are best of the era without exception. We used them
on tandem triples extensively.

Delrin nylon has its fans but the Simplex LJ series in
aluminum bear very high prices NOS nowadays. $199 is not out
of line given the demand and small supply.

--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org/

Old August 22nd 19, 01:37 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Ralph Barone[_4_]

AK wrote:
[...]

It’s Usenet. Words is all we have here.

Old August 22nd 19, 01:42 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Jeff Liebermann

On Wed, 21 Aug 2019 16:43:00 -0700 (PDT), AK
wrote:

Is the picture P1010012 a TV antenna?
Andy

I don't recognize the P1010012 number. Is that from my antenna design
web pile?
http://www.learnbydestroying.com/jeffl/antennas/

--
Jeff Liebermann
150 Felker St #D
Old August 22nd 19, 02:18 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Jeff Liebermann

wrote:
Is the picture P1010012 a TV antenna?
Andy

I don't recognize the P1010012 number. Is that from my antenna design
web pile?
http://www.learnbydestroying.com/jeffl/antennas/

Ah, foundit:
http://www.learnbydestroying.com/jeffl/antennas/DTV-jw/index.html
Yes, that was suppose to be a UHF TV antenna. It was built by a
friend asking for an explanation why it didn't work. It was suppose
to be a bowtie antenna:
https://www.google.com/search?q=bowtie+tv+antenna&tbm=isch
similar to the Channel Master 4220 design:
http://www.hdtvprimer.com/ANTENNAS/DB2.html
However, the lengths and spacing were inaccurate, phasing lines were
the wrong length and should have been crossed, and the reflector was
too narrow. It was later rebuilt as a Gray-Hoverman design with an
enlarged reflector:
https://www.google.com/search?tbm=isch&q=gray+hoverman+antennas
It worked just fine (after I tweaked it on the bench using some test
equipment instead of guesswork):
http://www.learnbydestroying.com/jeffl/pics/home/slides/test-equip-mess.html

If you're into TV antenna design:
http://www.hdtvprimer.com/ANTENNAS/comparing.html

--
Jeff Liebermann
150 Felker St #D
Old August 22nd 19, 09:21 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
John B. Slocomb

On Wed, 21 Aug 2019 09:19:47 -0700 (PDT), jbeattie
wrote:

On Wednesday, August 21, 2019 at 8:32:57 AM UTC-7, Tom Kunich wrote:
On Tuesday, August 20, 2019 at 5:19:21 PM UTC-7, jbeattie wrote:
On Tuesday, August 20, 2019 at 3:25:34 PM UTC-7, Tom Kunich wrote:
On Monday, August 19, 2019 at 9:28:56 AM UTC-7, Chalo wrote:
Tom Kunich wrote:

https://imgur.com/a/JT76Qog

That is a standard "Internal Wrenching Bolt"

This made me laugh. It says so much with so few words. It even hints at an explanation (not to say excuse) for your politics.

A perhaps more widely understood technical term would be "M6 x 1.0 x 12 socket head cap screw".

Chalo - no one knows the size of these things if they're asking about it. It is a STANDARD type of screw that can be bought in any fully equipped Ace Hardware Store anywhere in the US.

By the way - It is NOT a "cap screw". It is as I said, and Internal Wrenching Bolt. Now they are often mislabeled and you'd find a Cap Screw in the wrong bin.

Really? IIRC, at my Ace they're called socket head cap screws. And my Ace has a mind-boggling amount of fasteners, including SS metric socket head cap screws for my bike -- button head and regular.

-- Jay Beattie.

So, you found it at the Ace Hardware but because they mislabeled it you want to take their name for it rather than the proper one that you can look up on-line? This is why it is so easy to laugh at you.

Having looked through the fasteners at my local Ace many, many times, I can guaranty you there there is no drawer, box or fastener labeled "Internal Wrenching Bolt." Maybe such a bolt exists, but what I use on my bike is labeled as a socket head cap screw. Go to Grainger: https://tinyurl.com/y4y89fww Type in "internal Wrenching Bolt" and see what comes up. Nada. An internal wrenching bolt is some odd-ball aircraft/military fastener with inch dimensions. It's not a metric fastener. Now go to the internet and type in "internal wrenching bolt" -- and get a bunch of military crap. https://military-fasteners.com/bolts...renching+bolts

-- Jay Beattie.

-- Jay Beattie.

Over here we have shops that sell nuts and bolts. You just go in an
say, "I'll have 5 of those, with washer and nut; and 10 of them over
there in the corner, and 7 of them little bitty ones and, lets see, Oh
Yes. four of five of them as I think that they may fit the brakes."

Don't ever have to get into all that M5, or 1/8th or #10, inside,
outside or up my ladies chamber business..
--

Cheers,

John B.
Old August 22nd 19, 10:43 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
John B. Slocomb

On Wed, 21 Aug 2019 19:54:55 -0400, Frank Krygowski
wrote:

On 8/21/2019 6:54 PM, John B. Slocomb wrote:
On Wed, 21 Aug 2019 13:09:30 -0400, Frank Krygowski
wrote:

On 8/21/2019 12:19 PM, jbeattie wrote:

Having looked through the fasteners at my local Ace many, many times, I can guaranty you there there is no drawer, box or fastener labeled "Internal Wrenching Bolt." Maybe such a bolt exists, but what I use on my bike is labeled as a socket head cap screw. Go to Grainger: https://tinyurl.com/y4y89fww Type in "internal Wrenching Bolt" and see what comes up. Nada. An internal wrenching bolt is some odd-ball aircraft/military fastener with inch dimensions. It's not a metric fastener. Now go to the internet and type in "internal wrenching bolt" -- and get a bunch of military crap. https://military-fasteners.com/bolts...renching+bolts

The military has a long history of unusual names. For example:

"'I understand,'' the Maine Republican said, ''that there is a story
coming out about a $600 toilet seat.''

''I think that gives new meaning to the word throne,'' Cohen added
before casually dropping the subject and moving on to weightier issues,
such as space defense and NATO burden sharing.

Within hours, the Defense Department publicists had cranked out a
statement challenging the senator`s characterization of the transaction.
Actually, the statement said, the Pentagon didn`t pay more than $600 for
a toilet seat.

''We believe the senator was referring to a lavatory cover which we have
recently learned has been priced at more than $600 by the contractor,
the Lockheed Corp.,'' the statement said.

According to Nick Duretta of Lockheed`s public information office, there
is a difference between a toilet seat and the lavatory cover purchased
for P-3 patrol planes that are now out of production.

''It (the lavatory cover) is more complex than a toilet seat,'' Duretta
said."

That was pretty common knowledge in the sections that were in the
business of trying to keep experimental airplanes flying)

The story was that the A.F. had ordered a toilet "can"
cover for an experimental aircraft for which there was no spares in
the supply system, or manufacturer's stocks. What is the correct price
to set up and manufacture a cover, probably dimensioned in tenths of
thousands and made of some erotic material?

Hmm. I'd first do away with the "erotic" material. You don't want
flyboys getting hot, bothered and distracted.

You have obviously never been around military airplanes. Every part is
specified in sufficient detail to manufacture exact of copies, which
of course is what the specs are for :-)

So to make a toilet can replacement you must (1) come up with the
approved design package as well as (2) the approved raw material and
than get someone to exactly duplicate the manufacturing process.

Now, it is easy to say, "Oh that doesn't make much sense" but who
makes the decision of what makes sense?

I can assure you that the pilot and navigator of a supersonic F-111B
may have a very different idea of that made sense regarding a
modification of the egress system. Sufficiently different that they
stated that if that "mod" was accomplished they would refuse to fly
the aircraft.

Secondly, find a way to avoid tolerances as small as tenths. One reason
our students went through some machine shop fundamentals was so they
would realize how much work and expense is involved in "plus or minus
one thousandth," let alone one tenth.

But I once worked with a guy who had done design work for a company
producing military helicopters. (Sorry, I forget which.) He said that in
the engineering drawing room (back in the days of drafting boards) there
was a big display up on one wall, a selection of tools. The sign said
something like "They have to repair it with THESE."

The idea, supposedly, was to avoid exotic requirements in tools. One
would think the same idea should apply to toilet seats.

I would agree... except I worked on some helicopters and some of their
"features" were rather remarkable. The replacement of either the
engine or the transmission on Huey was a rather amazing process that
involved having the engine, transmission and airframe in the position
which they would be in actual flight which would of course vary
depending on fuel aboard, people or equipment aboard, speed of
aircraft, etc.

At the same time the F111B had some nose wheel landing gear bushings
that were called "fabroid bushings" that did not require lubrication.
They also failed very frequently, sometimes a frequently as every
flight and depending on the bushing they might cost $100 each and we
usually changed them as a full set so several hundred dollars per set.
And there were 3 experimental aircraft in the fleet. What to do?

That sounds like a terrible design flaw.

Believe me the Mechanist (me) that had to remove and replace those
bushings agreed with you but that didn't change the approved design of
the nose gear.
--

Cheers,

John B.

Old August 22nd 19, 04:25 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Frank Krygowski[_4_]

wrote:

[...]

You're glossing over the "erotic" part!

Sure, specs are necessary - but how do you decide if a toilet seat is
"erotic" enough? After all, our military is now open not only to two
genders, but to a complete spectrum of sexual practices, identities and
tastes. What's erotic to one individual may be disgusting to the next!

I wouldn't consider this as an unsolvable problem, though. Rather, it's
an opportunity for a big, expensive research project. It might lead to
someone's PhD thesis; or even better, to an entire new task force with
permanent funding. That's more opportunities for empire building within
the ranks, more chances for advancement.

And so what if a USELC (Universally Stimulating Erotic Lavatory Cover)
costs $2000 instead of a mere $600? Diversity must be cherished and
supported!

--
- Frank Krygowski
Old August 23rd 19, 12:56 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
John B. Slocomb

wrote:

[...]

Frank, when it comes to airplanes and parts there are no "erotic"
parts there are specified parts and a specified way of installing
them, right down to, in some cases, the sequence of tightening the
bolts.

The military aircraft business discovered long ago detailed
specifications and exacting instructions result in fewer broken
airplanes (and dead pilots).

Sure, specs are necessary - but how do you decide if a toilet seat is
"erotic" enough? After all, our military is now open not only to two
genders, but to a complete spectrum of sexual practices, identities and
tastes. What's erotic to one individual may be disgusting to the next!

I wouldn't consider this as an unsolvable problem, though. Rather, it's
an opportunity for a big, expensive research project. It might lead to
someone's PhD thesis; or even better, to an entire new task force with
permanent funding. That's more opportunities for empire building within
the ranks, more chances for advancement.

It could be, but I might point out that sometimes
"unsolvable problems" really are.

When they were designing the first capsule there was a problem about
how a guy could take a crap in zero gravity (note that they solved
this later) so some enterprising engineer did the obvious and designed
a "crapper" that used a small vacuum pump to ensure that pressure
inside the crapper was lower than pressure outside the crapper.

And all the engineers and guys were standing around saying things like
"Yup! Stands to reason!" and "Sure! Everyone knows!" and things like
that.

And than they put the new, improved, zero gravity crapper on a
"ballistics flight" aircraft - one that can achieve zero gravity for a
few minutes - some poor astronaut got to test it.... and it pulled
almost 12 inches of his intestines out his rectum before they could
switch the pump off.

And so what if a USELC (Universally Stimulating Erotic Lavatory Cover)
costs $2000 instead of a mere $600? Diversity must be cherished and
supported!

Oh Yes, the "fix"? Ah well, after considerable study, searches and
experiments the final solution was.... (wait for it)... diapers :-)
--

Cheers,

John B.