Recommended high-volume floor-type bicycle pumps?

Old August 7th 03, 04:52 PM
Jon Noring

Default Recommended high-volume floor-type bicycle pumps?

Our trusty floor bicycle pump is falling apart after many years of use,
mostly for maintaining automobile tire pressure.

So, I'm looking to replace it with a *high-volumetric-capacity*
floor-type hand bicycle pump.

What brands/models are recommended based on durability/reliability,
volumetric capacity, accuracy of built-in pressure gauge, etc.?

[Note that I am NOT interested in a portable car battery powered pump,
which don't work much better than high-capacity floor-type hand pumps
anyway. If I ever need the higher capacity (and so far have not needed
it), I'd get a refillable air canister (the 6 gallon, 100 psi type).]

So, what do you recommend?

Thanks.

Jon Noring
Old August 7th 03, 05:11 PM
K.B.Rook

Jon Noring wrote:

Our trusty floor bicycle pump is falling apart after many years of use,
mostly for maintaining automobile tire pressure.

So, I'm looking to replace it with a *high-volumetric-capacity*
floor-type hand bicycle pump.

What brands/models are recommended based on durability/reliability,
volumetric capacity, accuracy of built-in pressure gauge, etc.?

[Note that I am NOT interested in a portable car battery powered pump,
which don't work much better than high-capacity floor-type hand pumps
anyway. If I ever need the higher capacity (and so far have not needed
it), I'd get a refillable air canister (the 6 gallon, 100 psi type).]

So, what do you recommend?

Thanks.

Jon Noring

High Volume? There is only one . . . . . Zefal
Double Shot

Old August 7th 03, 05:25 PM
F1

"Jon Noring" wrote in message
om...
Our trusty floor bicycle pump is falling apart after many years of use,
mostly for maintaining automobile tire pressure.

So, I'm looking to replace it with a *high-volumetric-capacity*
floor-type hand bicycle pump.

What brands/models are recommended based on durability/reliability,
volumetric capacity, accuracy of built-in pressure gauge, etc.?

[Note that I am NOT interested in a portable car battery powered pump,
which don't work much better than high-capacity floor-type hand pumps
anyway. If I ever need the higher capacity (and so far have not needed
it), I'd get a refillable air canister (the 6 gallon, 100 psi type).]

So, what do you recommend?

Thanks.

Jon Noring

I just bought an air compressor at Sears for $119.95 (now on sale for $99!)
and it goes up to 125 psi and will work with all other air tools. I was
going to do the same thing you did, but considering the cost of a mechanical
pump I decided to look at a compressor: now I don't even have to bother
pumping. It has a built-in regulator so you can set your pressure and it
will only inflate to that number. It's compact and inexpensive. It comes
with an accessory kit- the tire pressure guage is cheap, but other than that
it is a study product. I'd give it a thought. Here is a link to the
product:
http://tinyurl.com/jb9p

Old August 7th 03, 06:46 PM
Donald Gillies

"K.B.Rook" writes:

High Volume? There is only one . . . . . Zefal
Double Shot

So I have a Double Shot (no longer made, it seems), and wondered if
somebody knows a source of spare parts for these pumps ?? I have used
it for many things, including pumping up the tires of my car quickly.

- Don Gillies
San Diego, CA
Old August 7th 03, 07:15 PM
Pat

x-no-archive:yes

Our trusty floor bicycle pump is falling apart after many years of use,
mostly for maintaining automobile tire pressure.

So, I'm looking to replace it with a *high-volumetric-capacity*
floor-type hand bicycle pump.

What brands/models are recommended based on durability/reliability,
volumetric capacity, accuracy of built-in pressure gauge, etc.?

[Note that I am NOT interested in a portable car battery powered pump,
which don't work much better than high-capacity floor-type hand pumps
anyway. If I ever need the higher capacity (and so far have not needed
it), I'd get a refillable air canister (the 6 gallon, 100 psi type).]

So, what do you recommend?

Thanks.

Jon Noring

I just bought a Serfas pump and I like it a lot---especially the head which
has two slots in it, one for Schrader and one for Presta. see it at
http://serfas.com/pumps/pumps_12.html It's built well and has a lifetime
guaranty.

Pat in TX (I bought it at my LBS)

Old August 7th 03, 07:55 PM
Rick Onanian

On 7 Aug 2003 08:52:43 -0700, Jon Noring wrote:
So, I'm looking to replace it with a *high-volumetric-capacity*
floor-type hand bicycle pump.

What brands/models are recommended based on durability/reliability,
volumetric capacity, accuracy of built-in pressure gauge, etc.?

I went to my LBS with this sort of idea, and came back
with a Blackburn TP-2. I wasn't too confident, but figured
I'd give it a chance.

It has suprised me; I can pump up my MTB tires very quickly,
which I wasn't expecting. My main purpose was to pump up my
road tires to 125psi quickly and without a lot of fuss; and
it does that well too.

The jury's still out on durability. I constantly fear that
the shaft will break halfway between the handle and the body.
But, it was inexpensive, too.

Thanks.

Jon Noring

--
Rick Onanian
Old August 7th 03, 07:58 PM
Bill Davidson

Donald Gillies wrote:
So I have a Double Shot (no longer made, it seems),

It's been renamed the "Alaskan" which I believe is still made.

--Bill Davidson
--
Please remove ".nospam" from my address for email replies.

I'm a 17 year veteran of usenet -- you'd think I'd be over it by now

Old August 7th 03, 07:59 PM
Rick Onanian

On Thu, 07 Aug 2003 16:25:49 GMT, F1
wrote:
I just bought an air compressor at Sears for $119.95 (now on sale for and
it goes up to 125 psi and will work with all other air tools. I was

Two issues:

1. Presta valves are a bitch to do with these compressors. I
am in the roofing business and run 8 high-volume high-pressure
roofing guns off of one compressor; but I can never seem to
get the 140psi in the tanks to result in 125psi in my presta
road tire.

Unless anybody's found a presta nozzle that I can attach to
the compressor.

2. The quality of the air in compressors with tanks can be
less than perfect. You may find moisture is being pumped
into your tire...and sometimes it's pretty icky moisture,
not just clean water.

It's fine for my beast of a mountain bike, but my refined
road bike deserves better!

--
Rick Onanian
Old August 7th 03, 10:28 PM
Doug Milliken

On Thu, 7 Aug 2003, K.B.Rook wrote:

Jon Noring wrote:

Our trusty floor bicycle pump is falling apart after many years of use,
mostly for maintaining automobile tire pressure.

So, I'm looking to replace it with a *high-volumetric-capacity*
floor-type hand bicycle pump.

High Volume? There is only one . . . . . Zefal
Double Shot

My Zefal Double Shot (concentric pistons) is still working fine, sorry to
read in another post that it is not available any more?? As well as cycle
tires (good for over 200 psi), it's a nice quiet way to add a few psi to my
car tires if I don't feel like listening to the noise of the _very_loud_
Sears compressor.

Before that I wore out a Zefal Plus (lasted 10 years or so), which was also
a double acting (works when both pushing and pulling) pump that had the two
cylinders side-by-side. Only problem with the Plus was the check valve at
the bottom, I repaired the spring (with a spring cut from a retractable
ball point pen) several times before retiring the pump, I think it ingested
dirt and other stuff because the inlet was so close to the floor.

-- Doug Milliken