Highway Code Changes

Old May 1st 04, 10:26 PM
Just zis Guy, you know?

Default Highway Code Changes

Don't get your hopes up. These are my proposals only, and unlikely to
make it to the Code. Unless....

url:http://www.chapmancentral.co.uk/web/public.nsf/Documents/HC_Changes

(too hard to post a summary).

Guy
http://www.chapmancentral.co.uk

Old May 1st 04, 11:19 PM
dirtylitterboxofferingstospammers

Personally I'd like to see something in words of one syllable to tell any
clueless cager that cyclists do *not* have to use any cycle lane, cycle path or
any other form of cycle farcility... and that cyclists can use the road if they
so wish (unless it's a motorway).

Cheers, helen s :-)

**$om $

Old May 2nd 04, 07:15 AM
\(t'other\) Dave

"dirtylitterboxofferingstospammers" wrote in
message ...
Personally I'd like to see something in words of one syllable to tell any
clueless cager that cyclists do *not* have to use any cycle lane, cycle

path or
any other form of cycle farcility... and that cyclists can use the road if

they
so wish (unless it's a motorway).

Cheers, helen s :-)

**$om $

--Due to financial crisis the light at the end of the tunnel is switched

off--

Doesn't matter how many silly-bells you use Helen, they still don't read it.
I guess it's already in there, just using bigger growed-up words... ;-)
Dave
('course, I'm well up on the H/C - ahem!)

Old May 2nd 04, 09:07 AM
Howard

Hi Guy,

Is the 'Code up for revision again? I haven't seen any consultation
papers on this. If so where are they and has the deadline for comments
passed yet? Last time around the CTC put in plenty of recommendations
but I haven't heard anything from them either.

The Code certainly needs reviewing so as to put much more
responsibility for the safety of other road users onto drivers.
Unfortunately the motor lobby has always used the code to promote its
own car-centred view of 'road safety'. For example, it was the motor
lobby who got in the 'rule' in that pedestrians should walk on the
right hand side of a road facing towards the traffic. Previously a
driver might well be held responsible for running someone down from
behind. However, this rule allowed drivers to evade their
responsibilities by claiming it was the pedestrians fault for not
looking out for a speeding car and jumping out of the way!

Unfortunately it often seems that the 'Code is only quoted when this
allows the blame for any injury to be pushed onto the cyclist ("they
were not wearing a helmet" being a favourite). In comparison the
courts seems to make very little of the fact that a driver may have
killed or injured a cyclist as a result of ingnoring the contents of
the code...

It would also be good to see some new advice such as "do not fit 'bull
bars' to your vehicle", "do not use products to add tint or a
reflective surface to your windows" and so on...

Regards,

Howard.
Old May 2nd 04, 09:29 AM
Tony Raven

Personally I'd like to see something in words of one syllable to tell any
clueless cager that cyclists do *not* have to use any cycle lane, cycle
path or any other form of cycle farcility... and that cyclists can use the
road if they so wish (unless it's a motorway).

The Highway Code's not the place to put it. Tattooed across the windscreen is
what's needed a bit like the Americans have "Objects in the mirror are closer
than they appear" tattooed on their wing mirrors ;-)

Tony

Old May 2nd 04, 10:06 AM
Tony Raven

Just zis Guy, you know? wrote:

Also the ABD want a clause to the effect that you must not delay
faster moving traffic, which is clearly intended to help them bully
people out of the way when ignoring the sections on speeding.

I'd applaud that on my morning commute past the queues of cars ;-)

Tony

Old May 2nd 04, 10:28 AM
Simon Mason

"Just zis Guy, you know?" wrote in message
Don't get your hopes up. These are my proposals only, and unlikely to
make it to the Code. Unless....

url:http://www.chapmancentral.co.uk/web/public.nsf/Documents/HC_Changes

(too hard to post a summary).

Stationary is spelt as per the office stuff in rule 49 and there's a
"thier" in the next line ;-)
Simon