What screw to attach C'dale BB cable guide?

Old August 13th 05, 06:48 AM
Hank Wirtz

Default What screw to attach C'dale BB cable guide?

A buddy gave me an old ('87 maybe?) Cannondale road frame. Its under-BB
cable guide had been removed, but there's a threaded hole where it was.

I picked up the cable guide at an LBS but at the time, I didn't think of
asking if they had the screw, 'cause I figured I'd have one lying around.

Needless to say, I've now been through every screw in the house, and none
of them fit. Bottle cage screws. SPD cleat screws. Downtube shift lever
wingnuts. Computer case screws. A screw from a Cateye wheel magnet. Rack
screws from both round-hole and square-hole server racks (I work in a
computer lab). You name it, I've tried it.

A wrench at another LBS suggested putting a small flat-headed screw out the
hole from inside the BB shell, and securing it with a nut on the outside,
or just using it as a stud to center it, and let cable tension keep it
there. I'm skeptical, but I'm almost there.

Anybody have any idea what the diameter & pitch are of that mounting hole?

-Hank
Old August 13th 05, 09:40 AM
A Muzi

Hank Wirtz wrote:

[...]

Bianchis at one time used a sheet metal screw ( self-tapping
as it were) and plenty of nylon plate designs simply had a
peg to engage a frame hole, no screw at all.

So, either tap it or just jam something in there and finish
your assembly. That plate isn't going anywhere.
--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org
Old August 13th 05, 06:02 PM
Hank Wirtz

A Muzi wrote in
:

So, either tap it or just jam something in there and finish
your assembly. That plate isn't going anywhere.

Sounds like a plan. I found that an adjusting screw from a Nashbar clipless
pedal is the right diameter but a different pitch, so I'm just going to let
that tap itself going into the aluminum.

Thanks!
Old August 14th 05, 11:21 PM
Blair P. Houghton

Hank Wirtz wrote:
Sounds like a plan. I found that an adjusting screw from a Nashbar clipless
pedal is the right diameter but a different pitch, so I'm just going to let
that tap itself going into the aluminum.

I say your bottom bracket will explode if you do that.

--Blair
"But nobody listens to me."
Old August 15th 05, 01:20 AM
Hank Wirtz

Blair P. Houghton wrote in
news
Hank Wirtz wrote:
Sounds like a plan. I found that an adjusting screw from a Nashbar
clipless pedal is the right diameter but a different pitch, so I'm
just going to let that tap itself going into the aluminum.

I say your bottom bracket will explode if you do that.

--Blair
"But nobody listens to me."

Damn, no wonder you don't want to have your dropouts spread.

What did your mom tell you would happen if your touched your "special"
place?

-HW
Old August 15th 05, 01:56 AM
Bill Sornson

Hank Wirtz wrote:
Blair P. Houghton wrote in
news
Hank Wirtz wrote:
Sounds like a plan. I found that an adjusting screw from a Nashbar
clipless pedal is the right diameter but a different pitch, so I'm
just going to let that tap itself going into the aluminum.

I say your bottom bracket will explode if you do that.

--Blair
"But nobody listens to me."

Damn, no wonder you don't want to have your dropouts spread.

What did your mom tell you would happen if your touched your "special"
place?

In the context of your second sentence, the first one raises some concern.

Bill "no judgment" S.

Old August 22nd 05, 02:30 AM
Luns Tee

In article ,
Hank Wirtz wrote:
Anybody have any idea what the diameter & pitch are of that mounting hole?

M3x1.0

-Luns