Waiting in traffic lines.

Old April 16th 08, 06:38 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc,uk.rec.cycling
Martin Dann

Default Waiting in traffic lines.

GoogleUser Marz wrote:
When driving to work the other day (sorry, yes driving, cycling is not
really an option right now) I noticed the one cycling commuter ( a
very rare sight in Houston) and was surprised to see him wait in line
with traffic at the lights. For me, one of the reasons I did ride to
work is to avoid getting stuck in traffic lines and my question is, do
other folks wait in line or do you ride through stationary traffic?

Really depends upon the circumstances. If I approach a red light, and
just before I get there, a motorists cuts in front and blocks me, then I
will return the favour.
If I approach most junctions, and there is just on car waiting before I
get there, I will wait behind. (The exception is red lights on hills).
If there is a lorry/bus in front, I probably won't bother passing that.
If there is a long queue, and I know I won't get through the next green
phase if I wait, then I filter.
Most congestion around here is caused by the amount of single occupier
cars, so I should pass as I am taking up less room (and subsidising
their motoring costs).
Old April 16th 08, 08:17 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc,uk.rec.cycling
Paul Weaver

On 16 Apr, 18:38, Martin Dann wrote:
GoogleUser Marz wrote:
When driving to work the other day (sorry, yes driving, cycling is not
really an option right now) I noticed the one cycling commuter ( a
very rare sight in Houston) and was surprised to see him wait in line
with traffic at the lights. For me, one of the reasons I did ride to
work is to avoid getting stuck in traffic lines and my question is, do
other folks wait in line or do you ride through stationary traffic?

Really depends upon the circumstances. If I approach a red light, and
just before I get there, a motorists cuts in front and blocks me, then I
will return the favour.

My thoughts exactly. On the other hand if I catch up a motorist that
overtook me courteously some time before and has been waiting, I wont
filter past, even when there's an ASL.

If theres only one or two cars I wont filter, not worth it. If it's a
lorry of bus (and theres time) I will pass them if safe to do so, as
they have lousy acceleration. I'll filter past when its a long line of
cars too (or at a junction turning right (uk), across the traffic.

If I approach most junctions, and there is just on car waiting before I
get there, I will wait behind. (The exception is red lights on hills).
If there is a lorry/bus in front, I probably won't bother passing that.
If there is a long queue, and I know I won't get through the next green
phase if I wait, then I filter.
Most congestion around here is caused by the amount of single occupier
cars, so I should pass as I am taking up less room (and subsidising
their motoring costs).

If you wait and act like a car, you're causing the same amount of
congestion as a car, which car drivers wouldn't like. Much better (for
them) for you to filter.
Old May 12th 08, 06:33 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc,uk.rec.cycling
Dane Buson

In rec.bicycles.misc Martin Dann wrote:

GoogleUser Marz wrote:
When driving to work the other day (sorry, yes driving, cycling is not
really an option right now) I noticed the one cycling commuter ( a
very rare sight in Houston) and was surprised to see him wait in line
with traffic at the lights. For me, one of the reasons I did ride to
work is to avoid getting stuck in traffic lines and my question is, do
other folks wait in line or do you ride through stationary traffic?

If I approach most junctions, and there is just on car waiting before I
get there, I will wait behind. (The exception is red lights on hills).
If there is a lorry/bus in front, I probably won't bother passing that.
If there is a long queue, and I know I won't get through the next green
phase if I wait, then I filter.

This is pretty much how I operate. On most stretches of my commute, I'd
rather be in the traffic queue rather than off to the side. As long as
I don't miss the light, I don't care if I'm in the very front. In fact,
if I can get behind someone in a van or DHL or UPS truck, I can get an
excellent draft and zip along with everyone else at traffic speed on
most of the stretches.

--
Dane Buson -
If you can read this, you're in range of the demat gun
Old May 12th 08, 10:06 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc,uk.rec.cycling

Dane Buson wrote:

[...]

I think it depends on the road configuration and traffic light phases.
On my commute, several expressways with bicycle lanes cross and have
double left turn lanes with many left turning cars. For these
intersections, I wait in the bicycle lane and when the left turn phase
occurs, ride diagonally between opposing left turn flow, ending the
crossing in the other expressway bike lane.

I find that this does not impede cars (that can accelerate faster than
I) and don't ride in the midst of those cars. These are 4-lane or
wider divided roads, some with median separators. The more lanes the
better but don't ride in the debris pile dead zone in the center of
the intersection, but watch for tools and money that seem to prefer
that location. Stopping there for a pickup is not hazardous.

As for traffic jams, I ride in the bicycle lane and it isn't jammed.
On our main street, I ride down the center stripe to avoid getting
doored or right-turned by slow or stalled traffic.

Jobst Brandt
Old May 13th 08, 06:21 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc,uk.rec.cycling
Zoot Katz

On 12 May 2008 21:06:00 GMT, wrote:

Dane Buson wrote:

[...]

We who have survived for years largely unscathed develop a sense of
flow that fits the infrastructure and social norms of our particular
area. "Vehicular Cycling" and the scofflaw zen gonzo riding styles
meld in that flow.

To expect anything but a rolling-stop without a stern application of
"the eye" is the norm around here. Stoping for a right-turn-on-red
will too often get you tail ended, leaving serious injury claims and
flattened bicycle tires in the wake.

I won't hang my butt out in a left turn lane for more than one light
sequence except in situations requiring hazardous moves to avoid it.
Mostly it's a matter of timing, sight lines and grade. Knowing the
route helps. Sometimes a "square-turn" is going to be quicker.

My line is preferably on the right front quarter panel, signalling
left across the windshield, of the first car in the line-up. Second
choice is in that driver's blind spot. Hitting a green arrow on the
fly across four lanes of slowing and stopped through-traffic to merge
with the turning traffic is beautiful but takes confidence and luck.

People blathering about the optics of how you get there are wasting
their time.
--
zk
Old May 15th 08, 03:04 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc,uk.rec.cycling
Peter Cole[_2_]

Zoot Katz wrote:

We who have survived for years largely unscathed develop a sense of
flow that fits the infrastructure and social norms of our particular
area. "Vehicular Cycling" and the scofflaw zen gonzo riding styles
meld in that flow.

That about sums it up for me. Even in the same area, I'll naturally
adopt different styles to match the conditions. In urban areas, when
things are congested, I tend to go gonzo, just to get through/stay ahead
of it. When things spread out/speed up, I tend to be more vehicular.
Just as we self-optimize our cadence and posture, I think we optimize
our behavior (or should) to suit the circumstances.