Gasoline prices, and newbie cyclists?

Old May 18th 08, 08:58 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Tom Keats

Default Gasoline prices, and newbie cyclists?

In article ,
writes:
On May 17, 11:55 pm, (Tom Keats) wrote:

A tyro is a novice or beginner at anything. I think
it sounds less diminuative & snootily superior than
"newbie." "Tyro" is described in various on-line
dictionaries. I think it's a good word to apply
to beginning riders. Better than "newbie," anyways.

Interesting, never heard that one. Reminiscent of early '80s
California BMX slang. Aggro, Sano. I've never been a huge fan of
'newbie,' primarily for phonetic reasons. I prefer 'greenhorn.'

Spelling "tyro" takes fewer keypresses :-)

I dunno the etymology of the word. It sounds
like derived Greek to me. Maybe it's derived
from "Tyrolean" in some (skiing?) context?

As I recall it, greenhorns are cowboys who haven't
yet had the pleasant opportunity of saddle-breaking
their own horse. Hey, I guess that's fairly applicable
to tyro bike riders.

cheers,
Tom

--