The Last Laugh (I hope)

Old December 7th 06, 06:01 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Paul Boyd

Default The Last Laugh (I hope)

I work in Weston-super-Mare, an area currently being battered by very
stormy winds and rain. All day long my workmates (I use the term
loosely!!) have been taking the pee about me being on my bike in this
weather...

The M5 is closed between Highbridge (Jcn 22) and Avonmouth (Jcn 18A)
because of lorries blown over. The first rat-run is the A370, which has
just been announced as also being closed. The next rat-run is the A38,
which is now the only route from the SW into and through Bristol. Even
the road running in front of the estate (A371) is blocked solid. There
are basically no routes out of Weston for drivers. My workmates all
live outside Weston.

So in an hour I'll pop onto my bike and toddle off as normal, and arrive
home in 15 minutes or so, maybe windswept, maybe wet, but home. Even if
I have to walk.

I really am trying hard not to feel too smug :-)

--
Paul Boyd
http://www.paul-boyd.co.uk/
Old December 7th 06, 06:47 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling

Paul Boyd wrote:
I work in Weston-super-Mare, an area currently being battered by very
stormy winds and rain. All day long my workmates (I use the term
loosely!!) have been taking the pee about me being on my bike in this
weather...

As a workmate of mine used to say "he who laughs last, laughs like
****"

Iain

Old December 7th 06, 08:01 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Tony Raven

Paul Boyd wrote on 07/12/2006 17:01 +0100:
[...]

Don't forget to let them know you are just popping off home when you
leave. Schadenfreude can be a satisfying thing ;-)

--
Tony

"...has many omissions and contains much that is apocryphal, or at least
wildly inaccurate..."
Douglas Adams; The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy
Old December 7th 06, 09:52 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Just Visiting

"Paul Boyd" usenet.dont.work@plusnet wrote in message

I really am trying hard not to feel too smug :-)

Nah. Smug it up big time.

Old December 8th 06, 09:05 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Paul Boyd

Tony Raven said the following on 07/12/2006 19:01:

Don't forget to let them know you are just popping off home when you
leave. Schadenfreude can be a satisfying thing ;-)

Oh I did, and it was!

--
Paul Boyd
http://www.paul-boyd.co.uk/
Old December 8th 06, 11:48 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
al Mossah

Paul Boyd wrote:

The M5 is closed between Highbridge (Jcn 22) and Avonmouth (Jcn 18A) snip
he A370, which has just been announced as also being closed.

snip (A371) is blocked solid. There
are basically no routes out of Weston for drivers. My workmates all
live outside Weston.

Know the feeling. Enjoy listening to their war stories about how their
BMWs were stationery nose to tail for hours and hours. Then chip in
with a poite enquiry as to whether they saw any cyclists whizzing
past. Maybe talk about the excellent meal you had at 6.30, when they
were sitting in the aforementioned car park. Ask them how big their
engines are. Sympathise; it must be such a shame having 150bhp under
the bonnet and only be able to drive as far as the rear bumper of the
car in front.

Be smug. Be holier than thou. Be really annoying! Enjoy it. You've
earned it.

Peter.

Old December 8th 06, 03:47 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling

al Mossah wrote:

Be smug. Be holier than thou. Be really annoying! Enjoy it. You've
earned it.

Exactly how those of us with enough sense to use a car feel on the
other 364 days of the year when we're sitting in warm, dry comfort
listening to the radio, while you slog up a hill in the rain freezing
your arse off.

:-)

Steve.

Old December 8th 06, 03:50 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
David Martin

wrote:
al Mossah wrote:

Be smug. Be holier than thou. Be really annoying! Enjoy it. You've
earned it.

Exactly how those of us with enough sense to use a car feel on the
other 364 days of the year when we're sitting in warm, dry comfort
listening to the radio, while you slog up a hill in the rain freezing
your arse off.

Umm.. if it is rain, it ain't freezing. Laws of physics still apply on
this planet.

Last time I got my car services I looked at the bill and realised I
could have bought a really nice bike for that..

...d

Old December 8th 06, 04:39 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Mark Thompson

Exactly how those of us with enough sense to use a car feel on the
other 364 days of the year when we're sitting in warm, dry comfort
listening to the radio, while you slog up a hill in the rain freezing
your arse off.

:-)

Yebbut us commuters get pretty girls feeling up our legs down t'pub.

Good for a laugh Fred General 7 May 9th 06 01:56 PM
Something to laugh at. Marty Australia 14 June 1st 05 11:04 AM
One shouldn't laugh but... David Nutter UK 2 August 12th 04 10:01 AM
I shouldn't laugh but.. Marty Wallace Australia 14 August 5th 04 08:41 AM
You have to laugh Just zis Guy, you know? UK 17 February 10th 04 01:56 PM