Gas prices and an increase in cycling?

Old May 13th 08, 02:05 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
[email protected][_2_]

Default Gas prices and an increase in cycling?

Hello,

There's no doubt that we'll see astronomical gasoline prices soon in
the future. Of course, one would think that this would lead to an
increase in cycling.

However, I think human beings (especially Americans) are too lazy for
bicycles, and we'll probably see an increase in horses for
transportation [according to this it's already happening:
http://www.wyff4.com/news/15968363/detail.html].

But, I have to admit that - yes, I'm surprised - I've actually seen an
increase in cyclists?

Have you guys too?

Regards,
Cullen
www.comatimes.blogspot.com
Old May 13th 08, 02:45 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc

Cullen Carter wrote:

There's no doubt that we'll see astronomical gasoline prices soon in
the future.

Are you sure it won't be in the past?

Of course, one would think that this would lead to an increase in
cycling.

I'd rather not. If they are riding because they are financially
pressed, they won't be friendly toward avocational riders, especially
ones that flaunt expensive "racing" equipment and dress up like their
professional idols.

However, I think human beings (especially Americans) are too lazy
for bicycles, and we'll probably see an increase in horses for
transportation [according to this it's already happening:

http://www.wyff4.com/news/15968363/detail.html].

You don't need conjecture on that, the numbers are in and they point
to mass transit, the reasonable solution as seen by government. I
hope to see the anti-transit attitude vanish and the NIMBY's who
rather have more lanes on the nearby freeway than commute trains use
existing but idle rail lines. Just a few in the SF Bay Area:
Dumbarton bridge rail line, NWP rails in Marin and Napa county, rials
from Walnut creek to Pleasanton-Livermore, Hollister branch, Monterey
Branch and Santa Cruz branch, all formerly had passenger service.

One huge traffic jam over the Santa Cruz Mountains is HWY17 where an
existing rail line lies dormant.

But, I have to admit that - yes, I'm surprised - I've actually seen
an increase in cyclists?

I'm not enamored with these new riders and their attitude toward
people who "play" on their bicycles. Hey! I'm on a training ride.

Have you guys too?

I haven't seen many adults (in contrast to youth and local students)
ride more. I suppose bicycle shop operators on this forum could give
a broader picture.
--
Jobst Brandt
Old May 13th 08, 02:53 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Bob

On May 12, 8:05*pm, " wrote:
Hello,

There's no doubt that we'll see astronomical gasoline prices soon in
the future. Of course, one would think that this would lead to an
increase in cycling.

However, I think human beings (especially Americans) are too lazy for
bicycles, and we'll probably see an increase in horses for
transportation [according to this it's already happening:http://www.wyff4.com/news/15968363/detail.html].

But, I have to admit that - yes, I'm surprised - I've actually seen an
increase in cyclists?

Have you guys too?

Regards,
Cullenwww.comatimes.blogspot.com

1- I don't think there's any evidence that Americans are any more lazy
than the citizens of any other country.
2- Horses, besides not being too welcome on city streets unless they
are pulling a couple snuggling in a carriage or being ridden by a
police officer, require a heck of a lot more work than does riding a
bike. Ever mucked out a stable or unloaded a truckload of alfalfa? ;-)
3- I haven't noticed any increased bicycle usage.

Regards,
Bob Hunt
Old May 13th 08, 03:33 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Brian Huntley

On May 12, 8:53 pm, Bob wrote:
1- I don't think there's any evidence that Americans are any more lazy
than the citizens of any other country.
2- Horses, besides not being too welcome on city streets unless they
are pulling a couple snuggling in a carriage or being ridden by a
police officer, require a heck of a lot more work than does riding a
bike. Ever mucked out a stable or unloaded a truckload of alfalfa? ;-)
3- I haven't noticed any increased bicycle usage.

1: Drive through funeral homes - http://www.uwsp.edu/geo/courses/geog100/CarMort.htm
- aren't exactly evidence to the contrary.
2: Agreed
3: I have, but it's spring here. And my LBS's biggest rival burned
down recently (*) so I can't verify that the apparent increase in
traffic there means anything.

Not conclusive by any means.

* Dukes, at Queen and Bathurst in Toronto. They've since reopened in a
temporary location on Richmond west of Spadina, which is frankly a
horrid location to ride a bike to.
Old May 13th 08, 07:58 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc

Steven Scharf wrote:

One huge traffic jam over the Santa Cruz Mountains is HWY17 where
an existing rail line lies dormant.

Not much of that line is still existing. I've mountain biked on
part of the old right of way, and most of the tracks are gone until
you get down to Roaring Camp. During WWII many of the tunnels were
blown up during WWII when it was feared the Japanese would land in
Santa Cruz and use the tunnels as bunkers..

The largest hurdle is Lexington reservoir through which the RR grade
leaves Los Gatos and goes from near the bottom of the dam to above
waterline in a matter of a mile. The tunnel entrances were blasted as
a corps of engineers exercise for the US Army, closing the tunnels
being required by government safety regulations. The tunnels are
still there and would require refurbishment anyway, being on and near
the San Andreas fault.

http://www.geocities.com/rayhosler/tunnel/tunnel.html

The RR ROW is still there as are the tunnels. It requires desire,
funds and initiative to get that line running. My largest worry is
that unless Santa Cruz County institutes a zoning plan, the live in
the woods in shacks, plan will snowball if there is a transit corridor
there to make these properties desirable. This is an area of dirt
roads with more than a dozen mail boxes at the entrance. Most houses
are out of sight in the forest.

Jobst Brandt
Old May 13th 08, 03:30 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Frank Krygowski[_2_]

On May 12, 9:53 pm, Bob wrote:

I don't think there's any evidence that Americans are any more lazy
than the citizens of any other country.

Try spending a few weeks east of the Atlantic, then returning to the
US.

I've done that a few times. Each time, the body fat walking around in
the US airport shocks me. The difference is very noticeable.

- Frank Krygowski
Old May 13th 08, 06:44 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Stephen Harding

Frank Krygowski wrote:
On May 12, 9:53 pm, Bob wrote:

I don't think there's any evidence that Americans are any more lazy
than the citizens of any other country.

Try spending a few weeks east of the Atlantic, then returning to the
US.

I've done that a few times. Each time, the body fat walking around in
the US airport shocks me. The difference is very noticeable.

I don't think "being fat" necessarily translates into being
lazy.

SMH
Old May 13th 08, 07:52 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
max

In article
,
Frank Krygowski wrote:

On May 12, 9:53 pm, Bob wrote:

I don't think there's any evidence that Americans are any more lazy
than the citizens of any other country.

Try spending a few weeks east of the Atlantic, then returning to the
US.

I've done that a few times. Each time, the body fat walking around in
the US airport shocks me. The difference is very noticeable.

- Frank Krygowski

Come visit me at Fermilab. You cannot always tell who is a foriegner,
but you can always tell who is _not_.

--
This signature can be appended to your outgoing mesages. Many people include in
their signatures contact information, and perhaps a joke or quotation.