Gasoline prices, and newbie cyclists?

Old May 17th 08, 08:47 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
[email protected][_2_]

Default Gasoline prices, and newbie cyclists?

As some posts observe, we're seeing an increase in cyclists due to
high gasoline prices.

I wonder if people can spot a newbie cyclist? If so, what makes it
apparent?

Cullen
Old May 17th 08, 08:51 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc

On May 17, 9:47*pm, " wrote:
As some posts observe, we're seeing an increase in cyclists due to
high gasoline prices.

I wonder if people can spot a newbie cyclist? If so, what makes it
apparent?

Cullen

Wearing a helmet backwards is usually pretty indicative.

Joseph
Old May 17th 08, 08:58 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
recycled[_2_]

wrote in message
On May 17, 9:47 pm, " wrote:
As some posts observe, we're seeing an increase in cyclists due to
high gasoline prices.
I wonder if people can spot a newbie cyclist? If so, what makes it
apparent?

Wearing a helmet backwards is usually pretty indicative.

Looking down when shifting gears.

Riding on the sidewalk, natch.

Old May 18th 08, 01:26 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
ZBicyclist

recycled wrote:
wrote in message
On May 17, 9:47 pm, "
wrote:
As some posts observe, we're seeing an increase in cyclists due
high gasoline prices.
I wonder if people can spot a newbie cyclist? If so, what makes
it
apparent?

Wearing a helmet backwards is usually pretty indicative.

Looking down when shifting gears.

Riding on the sidewalk, natch.

Riding in and out of the parallel parking lane, rather than holding
the line so you are predictable for cars behind you.

--
Mike Kruger
"You have to be careful if you are reckless." - Richard M. Daley

Old May 18th 08, 01:54 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Tom Keats

In article ,
" writes:
As some posts observe, we're seeing an increase in cyclists due to
high gasoline prices.

I wonder if people can spot a newbie cyclist?

Yes.

If so, what makes it
apparent?

Inclines of just about any sort.

And spaghetti legs when they get off their bikes.

Before this thread degenerates into making fun
of "newbie cyclists," I'm just gonna say I heartily
welcome, encourage and support new ridership,
especially adult tyro cyclists who have the
bravery and perservance to succeed.

And by "bravery" I don't mean riding in bike-hostile
environments; I mean stuff like being willing to put
up with mockers, critics and nay-sayers, and the
occasional embarrassing pratfall.

cheers,
Tom

--
Nothing is safe from me.
I'm really at:
Old May 18th 08, 05:41 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Tom Keats

In article ,
"ZBicyclist" writes:
recycled wrote:
wrote in message
On May 17, 9:47 pm, "
wrote:
As some posts observe, we're seeing an increase in cyclists due
high gasoline prices.
I wonder if people can spot a newbie cyclist? If so, what makes
it
apparent?

Wearing a helmet backwards is usually pretty indicative.

Looking down when shifting gears.

Riding on the sidewalk, natch.

Riding in and out of the parallel parking lane, rather than holding
the line so you are predictable for cars behind you.

Lately I've noted a number of new riders, identifiable
by their over-accessorization. I mean, one doesn't
need a wind shell during a 27C day. Especially one that
puffs up like a balloon (it /is/ an eye-catching effect,
however.)

But I sympathize. They've bought a bike, and have
been sold a bunch of other stuff they'll "need."
With a little more experience they'll learn what
indeed are their true cycling needs. As I see it,
that learning experience is part of the charm of
riding -- it gives us that lovely feeling we get
from those little eureka moments. Far be it from
me to deny anyone that goodness. And far be it
from me to criticize anyone who's on their own
personal road to edification, discovery, invention
and problem-solving.

cheers,
Tom

Old May 18th 08, 06:38 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc

On May 17, 6:54 pm, (Tom Keats) wrote:

And by "bravery" I don't mean riding in bike-hostile
environments; I mean stuff like being willing to put
up with mockers, critics and nay-sayers, and the
occasional embarrassing pratfall.

The courage to live free. The courage to think for yourself.

Tom what is a 'tyro' cyclist?
Old May 18th 08, 07:45 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
aquachimp

On May 18, 7:38*am, wrote:
On May 17, 6:54 pm, (Tom Keats) wrote:

And by "bravery" I don't mean riding in bike-hostile
environments; I mean stuff like being willing to put
up with mockers, critics and nay-sayers, and the
occasional embarrassing pratfall.

The courage to live free. The courage to think for yourself.

Tom what is a 'tyro' cyclist?

It had me wondering too. So I looked it up. Tyro is an alternative
spelling for Tiro, which means beginner. So that would be an adult
beginner cyclist, which sound like a rather young adult. One with L
plates
Old May 18th 08, 08:41 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc

On May 17, 11:55 pm, (Tom Keats) wrote:

A tyro is a novice or beginner at anything. I think
it sounds less diminuative & snootily superior than
"newbie." "Tyro" is described in various on-line
dictionaries. I think it's a good word to apply
to beginning riders. Better than "newbie," anyways.

Interesting, never heard that one. Reminiscent of early '80s
California BMX slang. Aggro, Sano. I've never been a huge fan of
'newbie,' primarily for phonetic reasons. I prefer 'greenhorn.'