A Cycling & bikes forum. CycleBanter.com

Go Back   Home » CycleBanter.com forum » rec.bicycles » Techniques
Site Map Home Register Authors List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Web Partners

Safety advice

Old July 10th 19, 11:46 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Frank Krygowski[_2_]
external usenet poster

Default Safety advice

Here's what a certain law firm says about bike safety. Listen up, y'all!

--------------------------------------

There are steps that a cyclist can take to help keep safe while they are riding. According to the League of American Bicyclists, one of the most important things cyclists can do is to make sure their bike is properly maintained. Before embarking on any ride, cyclists should always check to make sure that the brake system of the bike is working properly. The air in the tires should also be checked, as well as making sure all chains and cranks are well lubricated and securely attached to the bike.

Cyclists should also always wear the proper riding gear in order to help minimize injury if they are in an accident. This gear includes a certified safety helmet, closed toed shoes, long sleeves and pants to help protect against road burns, and gloves to help keep a better grip on the bike.

Once a cyclist begins their ride, the following safety tips should always be adhered to:

Cyclists should always be aware of the bike laws in the area they are riding in.
Cyclists should always be careful when riding on gravel roads.
Cyclists should always make eye contact with drivers in vehicles that are around them in order to make sure the drivers see them.
Cyclists should always ride on the right side of the road, along with the traffic.
Cyclists should always signal when taking turns.
Cyclists should always stay off unmarked and dangerous trails.
Cyclists should always yield to traffic when crossing streets and when riding in busy lanes.

Contact Our Firm Today

-------------------------------------------------------------

So in addition to the funny hat, you must now wear long sleeves and long pants.
Ditch those cycling sandals! And don't ever ride bare-handed!

Be careful on gravel roads? Um, OK. So can I be reckless on paved ones?

Make eye contact with ALL drivers? That's tough! There are so many of them! And
craning my neck to look at the ones behind will be hard!

What "marks" are necessary on a trail before I can ride it? Perhaps a mark that
says "This trail is not dangerous"?

And _always_ yield to traffic when crossing streets and riding in busy lanes?
Even when I have the right of way? Damn. I don't think I'm going to be able to
get anywhere around here until after midnight.

If I ever do have to contact a law firm, I'll pick one that actually knows
something about bicycling, other than how to compose platitudes.

- Frank Krygowski
Old July 10th 19, 11:53 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
JBeattie
external usenet poster

Default Safety advice

On Wednesday, July 10, 2019 at 3:46:25 PM UTC-7, Frank Krygowski wrote:

There are steps that a cyclist can take to help keep safe while they are riding. According to the League of American Bicyclists, one of the most important things cyclists can do is to make sure their bike is properly maintained. Before embarking on any ride, cyclists should always check to make sure that the brake system of the bike is working properly. The air in the tires should also be checked, as well as making sure all chains and cranks are well lubricated and securely attached to the bike.

Cyclists should also always wear the proper riding gear in order to help minimize injury if they are in an accident. This gear includes a certified safety helmet, closed toed shoes, long sleeves and pants to help protect against road burns, and gloves to help keep a better grip on the bike.

Once a cyclist begins their ride, the following safety tips should always be adhered to:

Cyclists should always be aware of the bike laws in the area they are riding in.
Cyclists should always make eye contact with drivers in vehicles that are around them in order to make sure the drivers see them.
Cyclists should always ride on the right side of the road, along with the traffic.
Cyclists should always yield to traffic when crossing streets and when riding in busy lanes.

Contact Our Firm Today

Hell, with all the blacked-out windows, I can't make eye contact. Window tinting has gotten ridiculous. I can see into about one of every ten cars.

-- Jay Beattie.
Old July 11th 19, 12:00 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Tom Kunich[_5_]
external usenet poster

Default Safety advice

Contact Our Firm Today

- Frank Krygowski

How do they treat bicyclist that don't come to a foot down stop at 4-ways? I just happened to do that one the rare occasion when a local 4-way was full. But I usually ride through if I have right-of-way. The one occasion I was hit by someone rolling the stop sign and driving right into the side of me. I just discovered yesterday that the noise coming from my chain is because the rear derailleur hanger is slightly crooked. Since it is part of the frame with will be a bitch to fix. You have to have something that will hold the dropout straight while using the threaded straightening bar to put the mount back into alignment - hopefully without breaking it off. Most frame makers use their jig to do this and no one around here builds frames anymore.
Old July 11th 19, 12:50 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Frank Krygowski[_2_]
external usenet poster

Default Safety advice

On Wednesday, July 10, 2019 at 7:00:38 PM UTC-4, Tom Kunich wrote:

Contact Our Firm Today

- Frank Krygowski

How do they treat bicyclist that don't come to a foot down stop at 4-ways? I just happened to do that one the rare occasion when a local 4-way was full. But I usually ride through if I have right-of-way. The one occasion I was hit by someone rolling the stop sign and driving right into the side of me. I just discovered yesterday that the noise coming from my chain is because the rear derailleur hanger is slightly crooked. Since it is part of the frame with will be a bitch to fix. You have to have something that will hold the dropout straight while using the threaded straightening bar to put the mount back into alignment - hopefully without breaking it off. Most frame makers use their jig to do this and no one around here builds frames anymore.

What's the frame material?

My wife once bent the derailleur hanger on her aluminum Cannondale touring bike, maybe
ten degrees or so. I have no idea how. This frame doesn't have a replaceable
hanger, but I figured I had nothing to lose.

I just put an adjustable wrench on it and bent it back. I don't think I used
any other tool - but these old Cannondales are solid as rocks. It worked fine,
and has worked fine ever since.

However, if there were a repeat, I wouldn't be surprised to see a crack.

- Frank Krygowski
Old July 12th 19, 10:35 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Tom Kunich[_5_]
external usenet poster

Default Safety advice

On Wednesday, July 10, 2019 at 4:50:47 PM UTC-7, Frank Krygowski wrote:

Contact Our Firm Today

- Frank Krygowski

My wife once bent the derailleur hanger on her aluminum Cannondale touring bike, maybe

- Frank Krygowski

This bike was my steel Pinarello. Your Cannondale straightened because it was mild aluminum. Only the tubes were the higher grades. Otherwise; 1. You wouldn't have bent it falling over and 2. Straightening it could crack it.

Cannondale people weren't born yesterday and know very well what they're doing.
Old July 13th 19, 01:46 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
jOHN b.
external usenet poster

Default Safety advice

On Fri, 12 Jul 2019 14:35:58 -0700 (PDT), Tom Kunich
wrote:

Contact Our Firm Today

- Frank Krygowski

- Frank Krygowski

This bike was my steel Pinarello. Your Cannondale straightened because it was mild aluminum. Only the tubes were the higher grades. Otherwise; 1. You wouldn't have bent it falling over and 2. Straightening it could crack it.

https://weightweenies.starbike.com/f...ic.php?t=28143
"The first road frame from Cannondale was produced in 1983. It sold
for $350 and included the frame and fork. The fork was steel with
helical reinforcement ribs inside the steel steering tube. The frame
was instantly recognized for the oversized down tube and enlarged head
tube. The seat-stays and chain-stays were ovalized to reduce flex.
Unlike steel frames, there were no lugs; the aluminum tubes were
mitered, hand welded and then heat treated."

--
cheers,

John B.

Old July 13th 19, 05:49 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
JBeattie
external usenet poster

Default Safety advice

On Friday, July 12, 2019 at 5:46:02 PM UTC-7, John B. wrote:
wrote:

Contact Our Firm Today

- Frank Krygowski

- Frank Krygowski

Old July 13th 19, 01:49 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
jOHN b.
external usenet poster

Default Safety advice

wrote:

Contact Our Firm Today

- Frank Krygowski

- Frank Krygowski

https://weightweenies.starbike.com/f...ic.php?t=28143
The first road frame from Cannondale was produced in 1983. It sold for
$350 and included the frame and fork. The fork was steel with helical
reinforcement ribs inside the steel steering tube. The frame was
instantly recognized for the oversized down tube and enlarged head
tube. The seat-stays and chain-stays were ovalized to reduce flex.
Unlike steel frames, there were no lugs; the aluminum tubes were
mitered, hand welded and then heat treated.

--
cheers,

John B.

Old July 11th 19, 12:58 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
JBeattie
external usenet poster

Default Safety advice

On Wednesday, July 10, 2019 at 4:00:38 PM UTC-7, Tom Kunich wrote:

Contact Our Firm Today

- Frank Krygowski

WTF? https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon....L._SL1080_.jpg I have one and just used it on my wife's Buzz Bike (steel). The hanger was horribly bent from getting knocked over in the garage. It's an easy process that any decent shop can do.

-- Jay Beattie.