How to use those CO2 inflators

Old July 12th 19, 09:22 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
jOHN b.

Default How to use those CO2 inflators

On Thu, 11 Jul 2019 23:44:29 -0700 (PDT), AK
wrote:

On Thursday, July 11, 2019 at 6:56:21 PM UTC-5, John B. Slocomb wrote:
On Thu, 11 Jul 2019 15:37:39 -0700 (PDT), AK
wrote:

On Thursday, July 11, 2019 at 9:58:53 AM UTC-5, Frank Krygowski wrote:
On Thursday, July 11, 2019 at 3:50:16 AM UTC-4, au76666 wrote:
On Wed, 10 Jul 2019 17:56:13 -0700, AK wrote:

I bought a package of CO2 inflator which clearly states it works on
Presta And Schrader valves.

It has nothing to depress the needle part of the inner tube valve to
allow the gas in?

Thanks,
Andy

Why, btw, is CO2 used? Why not plain air?

I think it's because CO2 can be held as a liquid at room temperature and moderate
pressure. As a liquid, a lot more CO2 can be stored in a tiny steel bottle.
Storing an equivalent volume of air would require super cooling or extreme pressure.

But I'm not a chemist. No guarantee is expressed or implied.

- Frank Krygowski

The company got back with me.

Those cylinders are under 1000 lbs of pressure.

So, it blows right past the needle valve of your inner tube.

Andy

I would be guessing that once opened and attached, it has a very short life before all leaking out.

CO2 liquefies at different temperatures and pressured. At 70 degrees
CO2 obtains a gas pressure of 852.8 psi when confined in a vessel.
Much more explanations at

https://www.justanswer.com/general/0...cartridge.html

--

Cheers,

John B.

Guess you missed my post about those cylinders putting out 1000 psi.

Andy

Nope. I just said that at 70 degrees(F) the pressure of CO2 is 852.8.
At higher temperatures the pressure can increase. In the neighborhood
of 85 degrees(F) your cartridge will be in the neighborhood of 1,000
psi.

From a table using PSIG the temperatures and pressures will be:
At 50 degrees the pressure will be 638 psig
60 degrees- 733 psig
70 838
80 960
90 1190