another cyclist dies.

Old October 26th 03, 04:24 AM
Steve Knight

Default another cyclist dies.

well this guy was going the wrong way it looks like. don't know about a
helmet.
http://www.katu.com/news/story.asp?ID=61858

--
Knight-Toolworks & Custom Planes
Old October 26th 03, 05:00 AM
Dan Daniel

On Sun, 26 Oct 2003 03:24:12 GMT, Steve Knight
wrote:

well this guy was going the wrong way it looks like. don't know about a
helmet.
http://www.katu.com/news/story.asp?ID=61858

Wrong way??

"Police said the bus and the cyclist were traveling eastbound on
Halsey when the bus struck the cyclist.

Witnesses told KATU the bus crossed the bike lane to stop at the bus
stop east of the accident when it stuck the cyclist that was riding in
a bike lane from behind.

However Tri-Met officials said the cyclist avoided an automobile and
veered into the bus' path.

The front right headlight of the bus was damaged from the accident."

Reads to me as if the bicyclist was rear ended, the bus coming from
behind as they both traveled in the same direction.

The one type of collision that I pretend will never happen because if
I really thought that it could happen, I would be paralyzed each time
a car passed.
Old October 26th 03, 05:32 AM
David L. Johnson

On Sun, 26 Oct 2003 03:24:12 +0000, Steve Knight wrote:

well this guy was going the wrong way it looks like. don't know about a
helmet.
http://www.katu.com/news/story.asp?ID=61858

I don't know where you got that. The bus and the cyclist were both going
Eastbound. The bus hit him from behind. They say the cyclist was trying
to avoid another car.

When a cyclist is hit by a bus, whether or not he has a helmet is not the
important issue.

--

David L. Johnson

__o | Let's not escape into mathematics. Let's stay with reality. --
_`\(,_ | Michael Crichton
(_)/ (_) |

Old October 26th 03, 06:10 AM
Eric S. Sande

I don't know where you got that. The bus and the cyclist were both
going Eastbound.

At shortly after 4 p.m., which would rule out sun glare, and apparently
in dry conditions, assuming the photos were taken shortly after the
accident.

The bus hit him from behind. They say the cyclist was trying
to avoid another car.

Actually, the article says the Tri-Met people are saying that.

Which is basically the driver's story.

When a cyclist is hit by a bus, whether or not he has a helmet is not
the important issue.

I'll agree with that.

--

_______________________ALL AMIGA IN MY MIND_______________________
------------------"Buddy Holly, the Texas Elvis"------------------
Old October 26th 03, 07:26 PM
Steve Knight

dOn Sat, 25 Oct 2003 21:00:57 -0700, Dan Daniel wrote:

Wrong way??

oops I was not listening carefully.

--
Knight-Toolworks & Custom Planes
Old October 26th 03, 07:32 PM
Steve Knight

Sorry for ranting. This just gets me fired up because I see near misses
all the time by some of these buses. I'd be willing to be money that this
accident would never have happened had the bus driver waited just a second
more. But he/she probably wasn't paying attention to traffic and what was
going on to his/her left. Now someone is dead.

I agree. I don't like riding on streets with busses. I almost got squeezed
between a bus passing me and a car. if I had not slowed down and let the bus
pass I would have been a sandwich.
now when I ride the bus I watch cars do the same thing pass the bus on the left
and turn in front and make a right turn.

--
Knight-Toolworks & Custom Planes
Old October 26th 03, 08:04 PM
E & V Willson

Notice that the bus driver was debriefed by the company (and I assume, told
what to say). Talk about CYA.

Ernie

Old October 26th 03, 08:45 PM
David L. Johnson

On Sun, 26 Oct 2003 01:10:21 +0000, Eric S. Sande wrote:

I don't know where you got that. The bus and the cyclist were both going
Eastbound.

At shortly after 4 p.m., which would rule out sun glare, and apparently in
dry conditions, assuming the photos were taken shortly after the accident.

The bus hit him from behind. They say the cyclist was trying to avoid
another car.

Actually, the article says the Tri-Met people are saying that.

That's right. I didn't want to get into that, but it did seem like the
transit company was covering its ass. The follow-up on this suggests
there is a real problem with the bus drivers.

I live in the Philadelphia area, so don't have a problem with bus
drivers....

--

David L. Johnson

__o | Deserves death! I daresay he does. Many that live deserve
_`\(,_ | death. And some that die deserve life. Can you give it to
(_)/ (_) | them? Then do not be too eager to deal out death in judgement.
-- J. R. R. Tolkien

Old October 26th 03, 10:08 PM
Rich Clark

"David L. Johnson" wrote in message

I live in the Philadelphia area, so don't have a problem with bus
drivers....

Which is much like saying you live on the moon, so you don't have a problem
with the lack of atmosphere... g

To their credit, the SEPTA drivers on my commute seem to have come to
understand how to interact with me, for the most part, after seeing me day
after day for years. They respond to my "go ahead and pass" or "please stay
behind me" signals fairly consistently. But it requires a degree of
alertness and situational awareness on my part that comes naturally to me,
but which seems rare in more casual cyclists. It probably also helps that I
can still stand up and sprint; I wonder how things will be in 10 years.

RichC

Old October 27th 03, 12:35 AM
sbirn

On Sun, 26 Oct 2003 18:32:07 GMT, Steve Knight wrote:
I agree. I don't like riding on streets with busses. I almost got squeezed
between a bus passing me and a car. if I had not slowed down and let the bus
pass I would have been a sandwich.

I've been cut off by the odd bus pulling over to stop to pick up
passengers. I almost now regard it as routine. I've also had a bus or
two pull out into traffic with complete disregard to my presence.

But by far the worst incident occured on a two-lane road with gravel
shoulders. I was in the middle of a perfectly straight stretch of road
than ran for at least two km. Riding about a foot from the soft shoulder
I suddenly had a bus come up from behind at full speed, passing less than
a foot to my left. The wind from the bus blew me way off onto the
shoulder and almost flipped me into the ditch.

When I pulled into the bus station a few minutes later, I got onto the
bus and demanded an explanation from the driver. The response I was
given was that I had no business being there.

Not good enough. I called the cops and the driver got reamed out, but
since I'd missed the disembarking passengers, there were no witnesses.
Interestingly, the passengers who got onto the bus at the station
were VERY supportive of me, despite my holding up the bus for over 15
minutes while waiting for the police before the company sent a
replacement bus for them.