High tech tire inflators. Good/bad?

Old October 27th 03, 03:44 PM
Badger South

Default High tech tire inflators. Good/bad?

I was given one of those C02 bike tire inflators for my b-day,
but it looks dangerous, or at best likely to explode my tire.

Are they actually worth packing under the seat for emergency
inflation?

-B

--
Email Replies to johnsonnospm01j att ntelos dott net
Old October 27th 03, 03:54 PM
Matt O'Toole

"Badger South" wrote in message

I was given one of those C02 bike tire inflators for my b-day,
but it looks dangerous, or at best likely to explode my tire.

Are they actually worth packing under the seat for emergency
inflation?

They work great, and I've never heard any stories of explosions.

The thing is, you only get one shot. Once your cartridges are used up, you're
stuck, unless you carry a pump too.

Their main advantage is that they're much faster than a pump, plus being small
enough to fit in a jersey pocket or seat bag.

Matt O.

Old October 27th 03, 05:15 PM
murray

Brilliant piece of kit.. For a roadie or a trail rider, they make the
day much better!! I don't care how good your arms are... those dinky
little pumps we pack around are terribly inefficient.. As to your
safety issues... How many little old ladies have related stories about
their seltzer bottles blowing up...same power source... I pack a
small "REMA" kit.. patches, air, and valve kit all in one..both presta
and schraeder..
Hope your decision to venture out with your new kit is not a difficult
one.. Murray

Old October 27th 03, 05:28 PM
MP

I tried these once, used the two CO2 cartridges that came with it the
first two times I got flats. Worked fine.

Then I thought, do I want to keep on buying replacements, when a pump
will keep on working for years?

I got a flat during a 50 mile ride on Saturday. Since I was with a
group, I really hurried to fix it. Was done in 10 minutes, inflating
the tire with a frame pump.

Since yours were free, though, definitely hang on to them and use them
when you need them. Just read the instructions. :-)

Old October 28th 03, 12:18 AM
Zoot Katz

Mon, 27 Oct 2003 15:44:43 +0000 (UTC),
,
(Badger South) wrote:

Are they actually worth packing under the seat for emergency
inflation?

-B

In an earlier discussion of cycling related costs, someone posted that
they'd spent $80 on cartridges before buying a $15 frame pump.
--
zk
Old October 28th 03, 05:46 AM
Steve Knight

In an earlier discussion of cycling related costs, someone posted that
they'd spent $80 on cartridges before buying a $15 frame pump.

for 7.50 you can get 15 cartridges at walmart. but trying to get 120 pounds in a
tire with a regular frame pump is pretty hard.

--
Knight-Toolworks & Custom Planes
Old October 28th 03, 06:13 AM
Zoot Katz

Tue, 28 Oct 2003 05:46:37 GMT,
, Steve Knight
wrote:

In an earlier discussion of cycling related costs, someone posted that
they'd spent $80 on cartridges before buying a $15 frame pump.

for 7.50 you can get 15 cartridges at walmart. but trying to get 120 pounds in a
tire with a regular frame pump is pretty hard.

If those cartridges fit your inflator.
Sure it's pretty hard with a frame pump, but it's absolutely
impossible with a dead inflator 20 miles from Walmart.
--
zk
Old October 28th 03, 07:21 AM
RB

I love mine, been using it for two years. I ride a road bike with
700c tires. They recommend using 16 grams for 700c. On one flat I
was thinking the pressure would even out between the cartridge and the
tire before it would blow so I just held it on the tire until I no
longer heard an exchange of air. Bad idea, I blew the tire right on
the rim. Once the tire gets as hard as you think it should be, STOP.
You'll have a bit of air left in the cartridge to start your next flat
but that's about it. I now carry only 12-gram cartridges, two or
three in my seat pack. Luckily, I was with a friend when I blew mine
and took his spare tube.

Have fun riding.

Old October 28th 03, 03:41 PM
Badger South

In article ,
RB wrote:
[...]

Thanks, and best to all the great replies. I'll take the thing
when I go to get the new Trek in the next week or so and have
the LBS guy check it out. ;-)

-B
--
Email Replies to johnsonnospm01j att ntelos dott net
Old October 28th 03, 04:08 PM
Steve Knight

On Mon, 27 Oct 2003 22:13:58 -0800, Zoot Katz wrote:

If those cartridges fit your inflator.
Sure it's pretty hard with a frame pump, but it's absolutely
impossible with a dead inflator 20 miles from Walmart.

they fit mine I looked ahead and got one that can handle any cartridge. I carry
three cartridges and it all fits in my little tool bag that I carry in my
backpack.
two spare tubes too I think I will be ok.

--
Knight-Toolworks & Custom Planes